Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
/proc/bus/usb ?

This caught my attention in the changelog:

# Linux device detection: Parse /proc/bus/usb/devices directly instead of using libusb

I've been reading for awhile now that /proc/bus/usb is deprecated and using libusb or /dev/bus/usb or sysfs is the correct way. This broke my garmin gps for awhile until they updated gpsd.

The newest Ubuntu kernels don't even have usbfs anymore, so you cannot even mount it manually.

sources:
http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/USB_DEVICEFS.html
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=483392
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...085/comments/5
http://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?fu...&group_id=2116

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
If /proc/bus/usb is not available then libusb is used instead. If the libusb fallback is not working please open a ticket.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2009, 02:30 AM   #3
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
Thanks for the reply, user_none!

From that changelog entry I though maybe you were discontinuing using libusb & moving to /proc/bus/usb. And that worried me.

Ubuntu stopped mounting /proc/bus/usb by default somewhere in the mid-2.6.20 series, and the new 2.6.30 kernels don't even have that module built anymore.

There's lots of noise about using libusb, /dev/bus/usb or /sys/bus/usb, but I can't tell what the real solution would be.

But Calibre still detects my 505 just fine on both jaunty & karmic using their default kernels, so I have no complaints!

Thanks for all the hard work!

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah the USB situation on linux sucks right now. The lack of USB automounting meant I had to write my setuid mount helper, which I'd really rather have not done, since I'm no expert on security.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote