Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-14-2017, 03:43 AM   #1786
Thunder242
Thunder242 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K4
Hello I have the problem that I can start KUAL but when I select an run something it quit direktly to the kindle home.
Thunder242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #1787
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder242 View Post
Hello I have the problem that I can start KUAL but when I select an run something it quit direktly to the kindle home.
On the K4 you list in your info block?
What firmware version are you running?
Is the K4 jailbroken?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #1788
Thunder242
Thunder242 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K4
yes jailbroken
i dont know what you mean with your first question
Thunder242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:01 PM   #1789
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder242 View Post
yes jailbroken
i dont know what you mean with your first question
Read the information under your username in the column to the left of one of your posts.
It says:
Device: ....

But we can't go by that, since some people never keep it up to date.

= = = =

Is there any sort of message presented by KUAL when it crashes?

First thing to try, reinstall the jailbreak, MKK and KUAL.
Use the packages from this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030
The text of that first post tells you how to deal with xz compressed archives.

The last entry of each listing line on that page is a link back to the directions that go with the package you are downloading (in addition to any contained 'readme' documents).
You will want to reread those directions, they may have changed since you last jail broke your Kindle.

Last edited by knc1; 07-14-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:00 AM   #1790
TheRadziu
TheRadziu began at the beginning.

Device: K3GB
Exclamation

Hello,
I've been trying to run KUAL for 2 days now without any luck.
First I missed the information about installing MKK on my kindle so I was getting "This device is not authorized as a test Kindle by the developer of this item" error. After installing MKK's .bin for k3gb KUAL finally started, but with "Mobileread Kindlet Kit is not installed" message, which is false.
What I already tried: reinstalling MKK, uninstalling MKK and then reinstalling it again, restarting the kindle, and still error about mkk not being installed.
Some additional info:
My kindle is jailbroken EU Kindle 3 Keyboard (k3gb) on 3.4.2 FW(latest available)
KUAL file: KUAL-KDK-1.0.azw2
MKK file(s): Update_mkk-20141129-k3gb-B00A_install.bin, Update_mkk-20141129-k3gb-B00A_uninstall.bin (tried both versions, from thread and from snapshot)

Any tips why KUAL cannot detect installed MKK? What to do now?

Edit: apparently the order of installed mods do matter, I did a factory format then JB then MKK then KUAL - now it worked, after that i installed rest of my mods and kual is still working as intended.

Last edited by TheRadziu; 07-15-2017 at 01:12 PM. Reason: solved problem by myself
TheRadziu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2017, 04:34 PM   #1791
Rosscuro
Rosscuro began at the beginning.

Device: KT2
Hi there, I'm a supper noob with this (my first JB ever). I have a couple of question if you guys don't mind, and please don't come with answers like "duh just check the forums", I'm no moron I know how to search for stuff and if I'm asking is because all the related answers I found are very vague and don't reassure me at all.

What gets me confused in the first place are the "code names" each model of Kindle has. I have the Kindle Basic Black (with serial G000 K905) which I'm not sure if it is a KT2 or a KT3, or maybe a totally different one.

Secondly, even though I had doubts about which file to download and use, I managed to JB my Kindle (probably this is the part I messed up) with the hotfix too, then proceeded to installed MrPI and Kual through it, then the python extension and the Collections manager that uses it.
Everything was working fine for a couple of weeks but after like 4 days I didn't use my Kindle, I went to check it and the collections I imported from Calibre were gone and all my books were in one folder so I tried to open KUAL and a window that says "Application error: The selected application could not be started. Please try again." appeared. I never Reseted my Kindle since the JB.

If I'm correct this shouldn't happen because I installed the "survival code" and no further update from Amazon should affect the JB.
Some guidance would much appreciated.
Rosscuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #1792
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosscuro View Post
If I'm correct this shouldn't happen because I installed the "survival code" and no further update from Amazon should affect the JB.
If you kindle did an automatic update, then the jailbreak itself and the hotfix will survive, but you have to re-install everything else.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:49 PM   #1793
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
What gets me confused in the first place are the "code names" each model of Kindle has. I have the Kindle Basic Black (with serial G000 K905) which I'm not sure if it is a KT2 or a KT3, or maybe a totally different one.
I will not tell you to "read the forum"
I do suggest that you re-read the first post of the current jail break:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877

The names used by Amazon Marketing are not stable over time nor consistent across geographical areas.
Which is one reason for the nicknames.
Another reason is that all packages with the name format: update_*.bin are model locked.
Since for years we used Amazon's internal installer, our locking had to be the same as theirs. Which is based on the model substring of the serial number.

Now - the first 'read the directions':
Quote:
Step #1 below describes how to learn what nickname your device has here based on its serial number.
You needed to do that as the very first step.
It is critical to the process and to using this forum.
Quote:
Secondly, even though I had doubts about which file to download and use, I managed to JB my Kindle (probably this is the part I messed up) with the hotfix too, then proceeded to installed MrPI and Kual through it, then the python extension and the Collections manager that uses it.
You do not mention replacing the factory-use-only firmware with a customer firmware version.
Nothing that we provide here was ever intended to run on anything other than publicly released, customer firmware.

That is the next: 'read the directions'
Specifically Steps #7 and #8
Do them after reading them.
Quote:
Everything was working fine for a couple of weeks but after like 4 days I didn't use my Kindle, I went to check it and the collections I imported from Calibre were gone and all my books were in one folder so I tried to open KUAL and a window that says "Application error: The selected application could not be started. Please try again." appeared. I never Reseted my Kindle since the JB.
Your third: 'read the directions':
Quote:
None of our add-ins are protected across updates, you must always re-install them.
- - - -
These update_*.bin package name format packages must be re-installed after each firmware update.
Which is at the start and the end of the directions.

Plus you where not using the 'OTA blocker' described in Step #7, plus you threw another curve at the process by letting it OTA update from the factory-use-only firmware while our add-ins where installed.

Quote:
That is correct, the jailbreak and the update bridge code survives, they auto re-install, they are viral.
See above portion of my reply, you where told you would have to re-install everything other than the jailbreak yourself - TWICE.
The final few sentences of the first post, those following Step #8, give you additional information on that.
Quote:
I can't not think how you could have missed so many critical details of the process,
unless you where not following our directions (the original) and instead where following some abbreviated version you found on the 'net somewhere.

The best advice I can give you, is to read the first post of the current jail break from the first word to the last word, including the content of all spoilers.
Keep an eye out for things you might not have done, I can't guess at the exact state your device is now in.

Last edited by knc1; 07-15-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:31 PM   #1794
allengx9900
allengx9900 began at the beginning.

Device: none
My kindle DXG use K3g's file update to 3.4.2 ,MMk & deviceHack install sucess, too.

But KUAL just shine once ,I can't open its interface.
allengx9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:43 PM   #1795
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by allengx9900 View Post
My kindle DXG use K3g's file update to 3.4.2 ,MMk & deviceHack install sucess, too.

But KUAL just shine once ,I can't open its interface.
Answered: 09/18/2011::

Go to first post of this thread.
The section in red titled: FAQ and Known Issues.
Open the spoiler.
Read the 6th. bullet and then follow the link given there.

# 14 800

Last edited by knc1; 10-01-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:20 AM   #1796
allengx9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Answered: 09/18/2011::

Go to first post of this thread.
The section in red titled: FAQ and Known Issues.
Open the spoiler.
Read the 6th. bullet and then follow the link given there.

# 14 800
I did it. Now I can look KUAL ,but I can't open it. It just shined once that did not happen anything.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #1797
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by allengx9900 View Post
I did it. Now I can look KUAL ,but I can't open it. It just shined once that did not happen anything.
Try posting in your native language, let us translate it.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:40 AM   #1798
allengx9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Try posting in your native language, let us translate it.
By FAQ and Known Issues 6th, now I can see KUAL-KDK-1.0.azw2 in the directory. But when it is executed, it's just flash once, there was nothing happening at that time.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:56 AM   #1799
ddurdle
ddurdle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Keyboard
I'm trying to install this on a jailbroken Kindle Keyboard running 3.4

I'm stuck at this part:
Quote:
First, the prerequisites: your device of course still needs to be jailbroken, and needs to be running a recent "hotfix" version (the vast majority of you should be covered, only the early adopters might need to update their hotfix). Then, you will have to install MR Package Installer (MRPI). Never mind that it's technically a KUAL extension and that we're in effect doing things in reverse .

Once that's done, put the Update_KUALBooklet_v*_install.bin file (found in the same archive as mentioned earlier) in the mrpackages folder, which you'll find at the root of your Kindle over USB, then eject & unplug you Kindle.

Finally, enter ;log mrpi in the Homescreen's searchbar (in a similar fashion as what you had to do during the Jailbreak), and wait for MRPI to do its thing.
When the UI finishes restarting, you should end up with a KUAL entry in your Library (showing as a personal document).
Following the instructions of MR Package Installer, it just says to move two directories over to kindle. Later on when I try to "search" for ;log mrpi, nothing happens.
ddurdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:37 AM   #1800
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Erm.. booklet version of KUAL is needed only for couple of latest models. On KK you just use old, standard kindlet version. Just copy the KUAL-KDK-1.0.azw2 file to Documents directory and then on your Kindle just open KUAL "book".
shamanNS is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified