Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
DrZoidberg
Connoisseur
DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
convert PDF to Word/rtf/txt

Ok, I hate the pdf format. It's incredibly annoying. Here's the question:

Is there any tool out there that can convert any pdf to a word document?

What I'm asking is basically, is there a tool that can scan the text as if a scanner and then interpret it to characters that can then be spiffingly converted to any handy text format.
DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:35 AM   #2
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you G**gle for 'convert pdf to Word' you get around 6 million hits; strangely, if you put 'free convert pdf to Word' you get about 36 million. So there are lots, including standalone products and several free online ones. You can also try a 'Save as' from Acrobat Pro itself, if you've got it. If you've just got straight text, any of them might do a reasonable job - that's as close as it gets to 'spiffy' - but if you've got headers, footers, figures, captions, multiple columns or anything like that, it might be quicker just to retype it.
Perhaps someone will come along with a specific recommendation - it can be done, but be prepared to do a bit of editing. If you look around here, you'll see that it's a frequent question.

bob
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I suggest you go to http://www.anypdftools.com/ and get their free tool and give it a try. (only free this February)

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:12 AM   #4
DrZoidberg
Connoisseur
DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I suggest you go to http://www.anypdftools.com/ and get their free tool and give it a try. (only free this February)

Dale
Cool. This worked like a dream. Thanks, it's a shame it's only free for a short while. I'll have to get cracking with my converting.

edit: ok, I see now that it created a file almost 50 megs large which is well... quite bizarre. It's covered with transparent images which well... are transparent, and therefore useless. I need to figure out how to remove these before I'll call this a success.

Last edited by DrZoidberg; 02-09-2010 at 06:34 AM.
DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote