Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2014, 12:04 AM   #1
yadgiri
yadgiri began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Book loaded through Calibre unreadable

I have a Kobo Glo and am using Calibre 1.19 to load epubs onto it. The epub is copied over fine (I see the folder created in the root folder of Kobo). When I disconnect the Kobo the screen for loading content appears as normal and finishes. I can see the books with the cover in my library and can even open the book.
The book opens to the cover page but when I try to turn to the next page the display returns to the home page and the book is marked as finished. Has anyone seen this problem before? I installed Kobo utilities and checked the device database and it indicated the database is fine:

"Result of running 'PRAGMA integrity_check' on database on the Kobo device:

ok"

Could someone shed some light on why this might be happening? Thank you.
yadgiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Can you view the book within calibre successfully (ie from the calibre library)?

Are you using the base Kobo driver OR the KoboExtended driver to convert to kEpub format?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadgiri View Post
I have a Kobo Glo and am using Calibre 1.19 to load epubs onto it. The epub is copied over fine (I see the folder created in the root folder of Kobo). When I disconnect the Kobo the screen for loading content appears as normal and finishes. I can see the books with the cover in my library and can even open the book.
The book opens to the cover page but when I try to turn to the next page the display returns to the home page and the book is marked as finished. Has anyone seen this problem before? I installed Kobo utilities and checked the device database and it indicated the database is fine:

"Result of running 'PRAGMA integrity_check' on database on the Kobo device:

ok"

Could someone shed some light on why this might be happening? Thank you.
If you can open the book from within Calibre on your computer, it suggests the ebook is not corrupted which I've seen a couple of times.

The last couple of times I saw something similar was when I recopied a book after I had used Sigil to edit the ebook. The changes included changes to the TOC. My quick fix was to delete the book using the Kobo, then reconnect the Kobo to my computer and recopied the book from Calibre to my Kobo.

I think the problem is that the database still has the information from the old copy and during the processing phase, the information from the new copy does not cleanly remove the old information.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 01-11-2014 at 06:32 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:41 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If the book was already on the device, DSNB is probably write. But, this behaviour will also happen if the TOC in the book is invalid. If the pointers in the TOC do not actually point to files and anchors in the book, any attempt to use them will fail. You can probably see this using the calibre viewer, but it is a bit more forgiving for errors than the Kobo ereaders.

The fix is probably to removed it from the device and regenerate the TOC using either calibre or Sigil. Then resend it to the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epub, kobo glo