Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
deamonfruba
deamonfruba began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
PDF to EPUB problems: double "L's" and lines

I've been searching for a solution for this since getting Calibre without any success. Whenever I convert a PDF file to EPUB, I have to open it up in an EPUB editor like Sigil and spend between an hour and two hours to get rid of a few odd glitches. Here's an example:

What something should look like:

"Once upon a time there was a little girl named Sally who liked to dance around in stupid circles until one day her feet disappeared. She asked her dog Billy for help but he just stared at her, as dogs do."

What it comes out looking like:

"Once upon a time there was a little girl named Sal y who liked to dance around in

stupid circles until one day her feet disappeared. She asked her dog Bil y for

help but he just stared at her, as dogs do."

This is incredibly annoying and I would REALLY like some help. If you have any tips that involve technical jargon, keep in mind that I'm somewhere between beginner and intermediate when it comes to computers so I need things broken down a bit.

Extra information: I have Windows 7, x64, the newest update of Calibre, I use a Nook HD and the strange behavior is visible no matter what program or piece of tech I use to view it.

Thank you!!
deamonfruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you read this post: Read this before Posting PDF Questions
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
deamonfruba

Yes, I have, and it's about as helpful as a nail to the head. I guess the double letters is what is the most frustrating part. What plug-in would give me the "PDF Print" function that it mentions and for what program?
Old 05-06-2013, 02:16 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I never convert straight from PDF to any ebook format, I convert to RTF then manually edit the text removing headers/trailers page numbers etc. I then convert to ePub/mobi, usually saving the RTF as HTML first, I don't always do that it depends on the size of he RTF.

No quick solution here, whatever way you do it it takes time to convert a PDF into a decent looking ebook.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by deamonfruba View Post
Yes, I have, and it's about as helpful as a nail to the head.
That Sticky post stated relatively clearly "Unfortunately, due to a bug in the third party library Calibre uses, in many cases ligatures simply aren't supported."

This means you have to look outside of calibre for the answer or simply stop using PDFs for source books.

When the Sticky post suggests using "Mobipocket Creator or Acrobat Professional" for conversion both of these programs can convert PDFs to html. Once in HTML format you can use calibre to convert the html to whichever format you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deamonfruba View Post
What plug-in would give me the "PDF Print" function that it mentions and for what program?
There is no plugin for calibre but there are many programs that allow you to print to PDF inside your OS or some word processing programs. Sometimes the output of these PDFs are clean of ligatures and can then be converted using calibre.

Personally for the most part I avoid PDF as a source format when at all possible.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:46 AM   #6
deamonfruba

Thank you for your help. I keep trying to learn the ins and outs of all the programs I use but they just keep piling up so sometimes I have to scramble for details on a few. I hate PDF files but it still seems to be the favorite file type for most people so it's what is provided to me. If we could all just switch over to EPUB it would be a more peaceful world.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:02 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@deamonfruba

Josieb1 is right, getting a hassle free conversion from PDF to ebook formats doesn't happen but here's a couple of things to try

Preferences->Conversion->Look and Feel->Keep ligatures check it - and that may fix your double ell's

Preferences->Input Options->PDF Input->Line Unwrapping factor - tweak it down a bit, if that doesn't reduce the split lines, tweak it up a bit - a bit is about .05 units

Try Mobicreator, there's a link in the sticky to which PeterT posted a link - it produces PRC's which Calibre will convert without any glitches,

Try Hamster Soft's converter (Google will find it), I have on occasions got a good result from it - be careful with the install its full of Open Candy - do a custom install and read the "do you want this c**p" dialogues carefully.

I think the PDF Print reference is probably a reference to a PDF Print Driver - there are many implementations, they install as a print driver and are then accessible to any program with a Print capability - I use one from Bullzip. Search for PDF Print Driver <your Operating system>.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:12 AM   #8
deamonfruba

Thank you very much for the clarifications, BetterRed. Mobicreator has worked for three files so far and I will bookmark this thread in case it fails in the future so I have other options to fall back on. I greatly appreciate the help, especially since the answer was sort of indicated at in an FAQ. Guess I just needed more of a step-by-step.

I hate smileys as a general rule but these guys convey my appreciation well enough to make an exception.

Tags
calibre, help please, pdf conversion