Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur
Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question cksum missing in BusyBox 1.71

Hello

I am really in a crazy circuit. I would only install gnu 'make' and now this. I will explain.

I looked for 'make' package' because i needed it for somethings else. After i search very long i found out that i need a ccompiler (after typing "$ ./configure") for cross-compile 'make' because I have no 'make' yet. Then I found an gnu toolchain (i hope that's right) and i was suprised. The the file what I downloaded was a .bin. After starting the .bin file (with "$ ./arm.........bin") i had to add the "IATEMPDIR" variable a path what have enough disk space because /tmp was no disk space left.
But then comes the "cksum: command not found". I found out that the 1.71 version does not support 'cksum' or 'ar'. Then I tried to install the newest version of BusyBox (2.0.0 or higher) but with no sucess because for this i need the command 'make'.

I hope someone could understand my problem and can tell me what I could do.

And what I can say. In the first time I thought I have to move the .bin file in /mnt/us/ and update my kindle per terminal. Yea, after this, the .bin file was away and now i have the command 'cc' available but if on /tmp was no disk space how could it work?
The problem is only that nothings is changed for example i type ./configure. At the line is "gcc ... no
cc ... no" and when i type "cc" in the console comes there "cc not found" but the cc binary is available in the /bin/ folder.

Ahh and sorry for my bad english. My mother tongue is german and i am very young. :P

Best regards
Bagerfahrer

Last edited by Bagerfahrer; 12-01-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Bagerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:43 AM   #2
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
From what I can figure, you tried to install a cross compiler on a kindle. It is for your computer.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur
Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Yes you can figure it out. You know i am writing in Amazon Kindle forum under Development. You know i have a Kindle Touch under my Device so what is your problem?

Best regards
Bagerfahrer
Old 12-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagerfahrer View Post
Yes you can figure it out. You know i am writing in Amazon Kindle forum under Development. You know i have a Kindle Touch under my Device so what is your problem?
Best regards
Bagerfahrer
Errr You're supposed to execute the .bin and compile from your computer. Not your Kindle.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:

Best regards
Bagerfahrer
I guess we could give you the same answer: You can figure it out.

The only thing I can understand from your first post is that you want the "make" application binary that will run on your kindle.

It is much easier if you just use a pre-built binary rather than try to compile the source yourself.

Here is one:
http://packages.debian.org/testing/devel/make

Page all the way down, pick your native language for the page, read the page, and if that is what you want ....
Download the package listed for "armel" from the list.

You will find the directions on how to extract the application binary indexed in our master index tools page.

You will need a couple of tools (ar, tar, gunzip most likely) that are not on the kindle.

You have a choice on those -
Google and install them for the OS that you do have, OR
Download and burn to CD a "Linux LiveCD" and do your un-packaging work while running that.

There are hundreds of "Linux LiveCD"s to choose from, the recommended one for someone with zero Linux/Unix experience is:
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

These "LiveCD" distributions run memory resident, they do not touch the file system on the computer that is running them.
In your case, you will want to setup a "persistent storage" for the LiveCD - there are easy directions included on the LiveCD.
Just download, burn, and boot it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur

I'm so sorry. Yes of course I can figure it out and maybe i could answer in a other way.

I am often searching for binarys but mostly i dont find anythings.

I will look on your links. Thanks.

Best regards
Bagerfahrer
Old 12-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
hi mate.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=175

perhaps this is more what you were thinking of?

Like:

Run a debian... get build essentials, source, and the sources "depends"

sudo apt-get install build-essential
apt-get source whateverApplication
sudo apt-get build-dep whateverApplication

That was the easiest route I found so far.

Last edited by twobob; 12-02-2012 at 11:10 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur

Hey Twobob

I really interesting to understand this linux.
I read from your post that it is easier to install apt-get from debian on my kindle because it would solve all my problems. I've installed some binaries from debian already but do not know how install this package. Is there any tutorial what can help me to install apt-get?

And my question is. With apt-get i can install .deb package when I downloaded it via apt-get?

Best regard
Bagerfahrer

Last edited by Bagerfahrer; 12-02-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you need to add repositories. to get debs. dpkg does the hard work.

Lots of threads on that
Old 12-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I guess we could give you the same answer: You can figure it out.

The only thing I can understand from your first post is that you want the "make" application binary that will run on your kindle.

It is much easier if you just use a pre-built binary rather than try to compile the source yourself.

Here is one:
http://packages.debian.org/testing/devel/make

Page all the way down, pick your native language for the page, read the page, and if that is what you want ....
Download the package listed for "armel" from the list.

You will find the directions on how to extract the application binary indexed in our master index tools page.

You will need a couple of tools (ar, tar, gunzip most likely) that are not on the kindle.

You have a choice on those -
Google and install them for the OS that you do have, OR
Download and burn to CD a "Linux LiveCD" and do your un-packaging work while running that.

There are hundreds of "Linux LiveCD"s to choose from, the recommended one for someone with zero Linux/Unix experience is:
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

These "LiveCD" distributions run memory resident, they do not touch the file system on the computer that is running them.
In your case, you will want to setup a "persistent storage" for the LiveCD - there are easy directions included on the LiveCD.
Just download, burn, and boot it.
Hey,

i found out make is unless if you have no cc. I searched and searched but I found mostly gcc but for this you need cc and make. There are pre-compiled versions but the most links are broken or are for other destributions. On debian gcc is available too. Is it possible to install the pre-compiled package from debian because this needs other packages and libaries?. When it is possible what I should download and install (there are more different links on debian.)?
And if this not work are there any other c compiler? or cross compiler? for the kindle?

This with the LinuxLive CD I have no experience with this and i would never know how to install it on the kindle.

Best regards
Bagerfahrer

Last edited by Bagerfahrer; 12-08-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
twobob

on kindle

debian
apt-get install build essentials

most modern X-compile soft float TC's work for the Touch. It's an easy one.

Check out Nilujes X-compile shell script for more details
Old 12-09-2012, 02:09 AM   #12
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
on kindle

debian
apt-get install build essentials

most modern X-compile soft float TC's work for the Touch. It's an easy one.

Check out Nilujes X-compile shell script for more details
Hi Twobob,

you are confusing me a lot. For what i need build essentials?

After founding Niluje's x-compiler i download. After extracting i found no documentation in the main thread or in the tar file. So i started the only executable file (x-compile.sh) and there comes the error "syntax error: bad function name on line 15". So I am not sure what to do.
Vielen, vielen dank fuer deine bisherige und natuerlich noch kommende Hilfe. (Can not say it in english.)

Best regards
Bagerfahrer

Last edited by Bagerfahrer; 12-09-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:52 AM   #13
twobob

Vielen, vielen dank fuer deine bisherige und natuerlich noch kommende Hilfe

= lots of thanks for the help so far, and of course for that to come.

The Shell script is an example of what you would do with the right Toolchain.

I am not going to explain the process of cross-compilation in broken english.
Would not be a good use of time.

Lookup "Linaro" and search for Cross-compilers Toolchains for the device.

---

"build essentials" is used to build on the devices under debian.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:

This with the LinuxLive CD I have no experience with this and i would never know how to install it on the kindle.

Best regards
Bagerfahrer
You do not install a Linux LiveCD on the Kindle.
You run it on an x86 machine, your "larger computer" than a Kindle.

Those distributions give you a (fairly complete) Linux distribution that is run by your "larger computer" without touching the storage media of that machine.

1) -
This gives you something that can be used to learn a bit about using Linux. Good when just starting out on the learning curve.

2) -
As you progress on the learning curve, you will next want to save things that you do. On LiveCDs this is called "Persistent Storage".
This will require some read/write storage on your "larger computer", often just a USB memory stick will do.

Note 1: If your "larger computer" can boot from USB you can often install the "LiveCD" files on the same USB memory stick.

3) -
At this point in this post, you have a choice. . . .
Pick a Linux LiveCD from this list:
http://www.livecdlist.com/operating-system/linux

OR
Use the Knoppix LiveCD:
http://www.livecdlist.com/knoppix

Available in English and German.
Use of "persistent storage" is optional, and easy if you decide you want to use it.
May be installed on the USB stick along with the persistent storage area.
May be booted from the USB stick in computers that will boot from USB stick.
Has an optional CD file that allows you to boot the USB install on computers that will not directly boot from USB stick.

Is designed and intended for people new to Linux.

4) -
Bookmark this post - come back to it after you gain some experience in all of the above.

5) -
Search this forum for the thread titled: DIY - KeK (set the filter at the top of the forum to the "tools" prefix, select those threads).
Read the top post of the DIY - KeK thread and all things linked from that top post.

6) -
Install your choice of cross-compiler packages picked from (5) above.

7) -
Follow thread posts, picking out various "worked examples" until you get the general idea behind cross-compiling.

NOTE:
What you evidently wanted with your first post was a Kindle Native (running on the Kindle) program development environment.

It can be done on a Kindle - by the very experienced Linux developer - twobob already posted you links on that.
Plus - there are entire threads here on the subject.

Get yourself a year or two of experience at cross-compiling before you try those directions.

To get a feel for what all is involved in building a Linux system, read through (both, in this order):
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/read.html (native)
http://trac.cross-lfs.org/

If your a quick learner and have a lot of computer science background, we can expect you back here within six months.

Last edited by knc1; 12-09-2012 at 10:04 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ccompiler, cksum, gcc, make, xterm