Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-24-2010, 02:42 AM   #31
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Warning—Spoilers for 3rd Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
I was reading this book independently with no idea that it was the pick of the month - I know, I should try to keep up ;p

I like it a lot. I think that the episodic nature of the story is what's putting some people off. We're seeing the events that form the character, we're watching her growth from a youth to an adult warrior. It's a rare 18 year old whose character is fully defined and deep. I'm within 80 pages of the end now, and I feel like I've watched her grow physically, and she's starting to become more aware of the outside forces that are driving her story. It feels like an organic, slow build. The kind that, when it's done, might not have so many holes in it.
You have it exactly. The third book is where you really see the payoff of this development. In the early part of the book especially, during her time with the Kuakgan, Paks gains a lot of insight into her past as well as her future.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I finished the book yesterday and while I thought it was not bad, I rated in 3.5 on Library Thing... I have decided not to read more. I expected the first book to end with some type of realization of something and show some the beginnings of "something" that would make me want to read more.

While there was "some" small bit of information about the stuff that has happened to her wrt the medallion the book ended with everything staying the same. Yes, I know many fantasy novels the main character at first denies their power/birthright/whatever and this is what Paks did.. that stuff usually happens much sooner than the last chapter of the 1st book.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #33
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I finished the book yesterday and while I thought it was not bad, I rated in 3.5 on Library Thing... I have decided not to read more. I expected the first book to end with some type of realization of something and show some the beginnings of "something" that would make me want to read more.

While there was "some" small bit of information about the stuff that has happened to her wrt the medallion the book ended with everything staying the same. Yes, I know many fantasy novels the main character at first denies their power/birthright/whatever and this is what Paks did.. that stuff usually happens much sooner than the last chapter of the 1st book.

BOb
I think the problem is that the book was not written as a trilogy, but as a single book. The book breaks were artificially inserted to break it up. The second book doesn't have much of an ending either. I can understand this because the author wasn't thinking in terms of 2 mini-endings for a book that would be broken in 3.

I was more diappointed in the pathetic ending of Oath of Fealty. Elizabeth Moon clearly knew this was going to be marketed as a stand-alone book and as such it deserved more of an ending and less obviously unresolved threads.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:30 PM   #34
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I think the problem is that the book was not written as a trilogy, but as a single book.
Agree with the many people that have said this. The first book is very much an introduction. I enjoyed it, but can't disagree with the people that it lags in the middle. However, the second and third books are fantastic!

If you're in limbo about continuing on, do yourself a favor and give the rest of the "trilogy" a shot.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:39 PM   #35
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I remember that book! Read it quite a few years ago, but I remember adding Elizabeth Moon to my list of favorite authors because of those stories.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #36
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
I read this series several years ago, and re-read it occasionally. The first book was a bit slow, but works very well as an ignorant-peasant-going-out-and-learning-about-the-world book. It opens the character up and makes her more real, as she starts out as a serious stereotype.

There is, in fact, another book in this series - Oath of Fealty - which came out in March. I have not yet read it, as I am cheap, and it is expensive for me just yet.
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #37
russellmz00
russellmz00 began at the beginning.

Device: sony pocket reader
i liked this book by itself and the "trilogy" as a whole. the world was interesting to me since it had so many modern features, like integrated military units, rule of law and evidence, and effective medical treatment. not just magic based, the sanitation standards seem hundreds of years ahead (i think we had six shooters before we had "wash your hands before cutting a guy's leg off").

i like paks for her desire to fight but also for her growth into a veteran while retaining her goodness.
russellmz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #38
RyanMWilliams
Author
RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook WiFi
I've only read the first one but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I certainly plan to read the rest of the trilogy.
RyanMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote