Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-28-2020, 03:29 PM   #1
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Jailbroken Kindle won't accept a legit .bin update file

Hello everybody,

I have just jailbroken a very recent pw4, serial number G000 PP13...
It came with fw 5.12.4, so I used the latest method.
I won't enter in details for safety, anyway I got to the downgraded factory firmware 5.10.1.3 and I was able to apply the jailbreak, the hotfix, install kual and all needed hacks, and now everything is running fine.

I also prevented otav3 and otaupd to run so I am now safe against OTA upgrades.

However... I am still running with the factory firmware, the kindle is not recognizing newer firmware.
I mean, I have fw 5.11.1 on my personal pw4, and it is ok, so I went to Amazon website, copied the link for latest update for Kindle Paperwhite 10th Generation, and then modified it to download version 11.1.
The file I have downloaded has the name:

update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_v2_5.11.1.bin

So, I copied it to root folder of the kindle and I clicked the button "Update your Kindle", which was "black". The update started, ran for a while and then... "The update failed for unkown reason" (or something like that) "press the power button to restart kindle".
So I did, and it got back to the factory 5.10.1.3 automatically

I tried again putting the bin file into the kindle root folder and this time... Nothing!
I mean, not only the "Update kindle" stays grayed out as if the .bin file was invalid, but it also does not remove the .bin file from root folder like it should if it reckoned it was an incorrect firmware.
I tried downloading it again, same result.

How can the above be explained??
If there a way I can "force" the update? And why it could go wrong in the first place??

Thanks
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Restore back otav3 and otaupd.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2020, 10:33 AM   #3
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Restore back otav3 and otaupd.
You were right. Thanks!!
BTW, the same fw update that didn't work first time now worked.
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote