Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-20-2020, 07:04 AM   #1
%username%
%username% began at the beginning.

Device: none
Japanese displayed incorrectly

Hello!

I've searched through the forum and calibre wiki and could not find anything that managed to solve my problem, so I'm sorry if this has already been asked.

As shown in the attached picture, when I open an epub with Japanese everything, including Latin letters is rotated. Personally, I'd prefer if I could read the text from top to down rather than left to right (although it can't be helped if rotating the page is the only option, though I could not find how to do that).

I use the calibre desktop app (3.31.0) on Linux Mint, but have the same problem on a Windows environment.

I'm sorry if this a trivial/newbie question but I just couldn't find a solution no matter where in the preferences/options or internet I looked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	example.png
Views:	121
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	180018  
%username% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:49 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The calibre viewer has no support for vertical text, however, if you upgrae to calibre 4 you will find that vertical text is at least displayed correctly though you wont be able to scroll.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2020, 10:23 AM   #3
%username%
%username% began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The calibre viewer has no support for vertical text, however, if you upgrae to calibre 4 you will find that vertical text is at least displayed correctly though you wont be able to scroll.
Thank you that worked. Should have checked the official download page too instead of just the official repo. (If I had tested it on Manjaro or Arch Linux too, I would have realized that perhaps Linux Mint's Calibre version's at fault, since the AUR has 4.18...)

Anyway, scrolling works just fine for me....
%username% is offline   Reply With Quote