Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-01-2020, 09:15 AM   #1
-christopher-
-christopher- began at the beginning.

Device: tolino shine 3
How to convert from epub 3 to epub2?

Hello,

my E-book reader can not show an e-book from a library cause "This book contains multimedia content" (but it is just a normal book). I read there is a new epub3 file format, and that my reader can not open it. Maybe this is the problem? How can I convert from epub 3 to epub2? I am a new user, and was only able to get a "original_epub" file.
-christopher- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:35 AM   #2
-christopher-

Oh, I now looked at the metadata and it is an epub2 book:
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="uuid_id" version="2.0">
Advert
Old 05-01-2020, 09:47 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
How old of a device, is the Tolino?
The internal pieces of the EPUB2 may just be too big (>260K) or have too high of a cover resolution. This was a common issue for early devices.
If you have your device model/type set into the Welcome Wizard, simply doing an Epub -> Epub conversion should split the internals of the book to more manageable chunks.
This assumes you have not adjusted the conversion settings away from defaults . Note: Once you have converted a book, Calibre remembers the settings use FOR THAT BOOK. You must click Restore Defaults (or tick if bulk converting) at the bottom of the conversion Dialog Box
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
-christopher-

Thank you for your answer. The name of my device is "tolino shine 3", it is about one year old. Unfortunately I can not remember the settings I did in the Welcome Wizard. The profile I used for the conversion is called Generic e-inc.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Do an epub to epub conversion that will often fix these issues.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2020, 11:55 AM   #6
-christopher-

Thanks, I tried to convert it with this command:
ebook-convert 2018_Book_RechenmethodenFürStudierendeDe.epub new_2018_Book_RechenmethodenFürStudierendeDe.epub
but without sucess. If I open the new file on the e-book reader the reader crashes. While converting, the programm reported
The cover image has an id != "cover". Renaming to work around bug in Nook Color, is this a problem?
Old 05-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No thats not a problem. Try converting to MOBI and then convert the mobi back to epub that shoud discard most advanced formatting
Old 05-01-2020, 12:29 PM   #8
-christopher-

Hm, unfortenly the conversion from mobi to epub don't work. It's now for several minutes at 67%
christopher@christopher-laptop:~/Schreibtisch$ ebook-convert new_2018_Book_RechenmethodenFürStudierendeDe.mobi new_epub_2018_Book_RechenmethodenFürStudierendeDe. epub
1% Eingabe wird zu HTML konvertiert*…
InputFormatPlugin: MOBI Input running
on /home/christopher/Schreibtisch/new_2018_Book_RechenmethodenFürStudierendeDe.mobi
Parsing all content...
Forcing index.html into XHTML namespace
34% Umwandlungen am eBook werden ausgeführt*…
Merging user specified metadata...
Detecting structure...
Flattening CSS and remapping font sizes...
Source base font size is 12.00000pt
Removing fake margins...
Cleaning up manifest...
Trimming unused files from manifest...
Trimming 'images/03393.jpg' from manifest
Trimming 'images/03392.jpg' from manifest
Trimming 'images/08707.jpg' from manifest
Creating EPUB Output...
67% EPUB Output-Erweiterung wird ausgeführt
Old 05-01-2020, 12:29 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

let it run
Old 05-01-2020, 01:08 PM   #10
-christopher-

Oh, I just was too impatient. The new file works on the ebook reader Thanks a lot!