Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 07-04-2016, 11:56 AM   #1
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Marvin 3.0.2 is out

Hello everyone. Here’s what’s new today:
  • New: You can password protect opening individual books (see note).
  • New: Option to have left aligned menus.
  • New behaviour: in paginated EPUB, “narrow” vertical margins are much narrower when you also select “hidden” or “progress bar only” header and footer styles.
  • Updated: Improved EPUB text rendering fidelity.
  • Updated: Improved highlight text legibility in all colour scheme combinations.
  • Updated: Text size can be made considerably larger.
  • Updated: Better error reporting for iCloud sync problems.
  • Minor tweaks to the ‘Comet’ colour scheme.
  • Other minor fixes and refinements.

About password protection:
  • To password protect one or more books, slide or long press a book, and choose “Actions”.
  • You can password protect books in bulk.
  • To remove or change your book lock password, tap the M button in the toolbar.
  • Passwords only restricts opening books. If you need to completely isolate or hide books you should use Marvin and SxS together.

If you have a moment, please remember to rate and review Marvin. Rating and reviews are reset with each update. It really helps a lot.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #2
quiris
Groupie
quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindles: KOA1, KV
Quote:
Updated: Text size can be made considerably larger.
Unable to make text size bigger.
quiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #3
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From AA menu > Text size > Plus button?
Old 07-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
quiris
Groupie
quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'quiris understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
It completely doesn't work. In Publisher mode it works.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #5
quiris
Groupie

Why in Publisher mode Theme switches does not work? I am unable to choose Paper theme for example. Every other popular app like Kindle or iBooks allows it.
Advert
Old 07-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #6
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Kris,

Works fine for me with Publisher-Mode on or off.

iPad Mini Gen-1 Non-Retina
iOS 9.3.2
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:02 PM   #7
dingsken
dingsken began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini
Quote:
Doesn't work for me. Text size can't be altered at all.
Using the + of - buttons, I can see the % change, but nothing is happening with the text size. It's stuck at the default value (regardless the text % value is changing).
I can change the text size in Publisher mode, but as quiris mentioned; that's no fun because of the bright white background.

I'm also using iPad mini 1 - iOS 9.3.2

Tried:
- reset everything to default
- restart Marvin
- reboot iPad
Issue remains.
dingsken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:13 PM   #8
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Not working for me either on iPad Air and iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.2.

Interestingly, in a couple books it works on some words (e.g., chapter heads), but not all. A quick and cursory check of the CSS suggests that if font-size is defined in CSS, using the +/- controls to change font-size works. But if font-size is not defined in CSS, the +/- controls do nothing.

This was a QUICK AND CURSORY check. I did not dig deep or test thoroughly, and I have no idea if this is the source of the problem or just a coincidence. I offer this quick and cursory observation just in case it helps.

I also tried resetting all settings to default, restarting Marvin, AND deleting Marvin altogether then downloading fresh copy from App Store. None of it helped.

Last edited by odamizu; 07-04-2016 at 03:27 PM. Reason: updated info
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:46 PM   #9
mariosipad
Guru
mariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watch

Device: iPad & iPhone with Marvin 2 + 3 & Kobo Glo HD
For me this works with and without Publisher mode.

I need to hit the plus (or minus) several times to actually make the font larger (or smaller). With each tap the % changes, but not always the font size.

iPad pro - iOS 9.3.2
mariosipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #10
kguil
Addict

@quiris In publisher mode, you can't change colours. Marvin honours the colours set by the publisher. As far as I know, iBooks and Kindle don't have publisher's mode.

Anyone: if text size isn't working for you, can you (1) check if this is the case for all books or only some, (b) please send me an email from Settings > About > Info. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:03 PM   #11
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
It might be helpful if we all tested the same book.

I downloaded a public domain non-DRM book from Project Gutenberg. Loaded it directly into Marvin; did not run it through calibre.

I selected "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain", EPUB with no images (301 KB).

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/74

And ... I could NOT change text size unless I turned on Publisher's Layout.

So, the book does seem to matter. The first book I tested was "Zoo2" by James Patterson and it worked fine.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:05 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
@quiris In publisher mode, you can't change colours. Marvin honours the colours set by the publisher. As far as I know, iBooks and Kindle don't have publisher's mode.

Anyone: if text size isn't working for you, can you (1) check if this is the case for all books or only some, (b) please send me an email from Settings > About > Info. Thanks.
Would it be possible to have embedded fonts work outside of publisher mode? That way I could see the fonts and also be able to use all the customization options (other than fonts). Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:56 PM   #13
kguil
Addict

@everyone: I identified the problem with text size not changing for some books. It has been corrected and submitted to Apple for review. Hopefully, you should all get the fix within a couple of days. Bonus: I folded the fix in a much larger update (with a bunch of cool, new stuff) that was scheduled for late next week. I'm sorry about the inconvenience.

@JSWolf: that's on my feature requests list for consideration.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #14
mgbino
Groupie
mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight
The newest update messed up my text size too. Now the text in some books is huge, even at low percentages.

Sounds like the fix is already on the way!

Last edited by mgbino; 07-04-2016 at 07:55 PM.
mgbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:13 AM   #15
quiris
Groupie

Quote:
Marvin honours the colours set by the publisher.
It isn't true. Consider attached test epub. There is no CSS file defined. So the background color and font color is also undefined. So why Marvin changes background color to white and font color to black in Publisher mode? I don't see a reason.
Attached Files
File Type: epub test.epub (2.0 KB, 240 views)