Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-01-2015, 11:40 PM   #1
Kaetrin
Connoisseur
Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Question Metadata can't be found anymore

Hi, I installed some plugins to add to the metadata search - Kobobooks, Goodreads, Barnes & Noble and Fantastic Fiction. Then I updated to the latest version of Calibre.

I can't seem to get any results back when I try to download metadata. It comes up blank even when I take out the title and put only the surname of the author.

I've deleted the plugins I added but it's still not working.

Any suggestions?

Thx
Kaetrin.
Kaetrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:34 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You need the title when doing the search. The search is for a book, and that means title and probably author. And if there is already an identifier, such as the ISBN, this will also be used. Most time I don't get a match it is because the title I started with is wrong. In these cases, I use the browser to find the book somewhere (usually goodreads) and use the title from there.

If you are still not getting anything, post the log from the search. There is a details or log button at the bottom of the results dialog. That shows what was done and can often show why it didn't work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2015, 12:35 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Sounds as if you have security software blocking Calibre from accessing the Internet.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:41 AM   #4
Kaetrin
Connoisseur
Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.

I've been using Calibre for years and accessing metadata from the web. It's only just stopped working. I can't get it to spit out any results.

It's not my antivirus software. Nortons likes Calibre and I've been accessing the internet fine.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:44 AM   #5
Kaetrin
Connoisseur

Here is the log from a query re a book I d/led the metadata for only last week. The fields were populated by the search and I haven't changed anything in them. This week, it can't find anything.

calibre, version 2.31.0
ERROR: No matches found: <p>Failed to find any books that match your search. Try making the search <b>less specific</b>. For example, use only the author's last name and a single distinctive word from the title.<p>To see the full log, click Show Details.

Running identify query with parameters:
{u'identifiers': {u'amazon': u'B00VNK4KGQ'}, u'authors': [u'Rebecca Grace Allen'], u'title': u'The Hierarchy of Needs (Portland Rebels)', u'timeout': 30}
Using plugins: Google, Amazon.com
The log from individual plugins is below

****************************** Amazon.com ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Amazon.com took 1.21600008011
Failed to make details query: u'http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VNK4KGQ'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\amazon.py ", line 28, in parse_details_page
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 199, in open_novisit
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 230, in _mech_open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_opener.py", line 193, in open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 344, in _open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 332, in _call_chain
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1142, in http_open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1118, in do_open
URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 10013] An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions>

Failed to make identify query: u'http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&field-keywords=B00VNK4KGQ&sort=relevanceexprank&unfilter ed=1'
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\amazon.py ", line 979, in identify
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 199, in open_novisit
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 230, in _mech_open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_opener.py", line 193, in open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 344, in _open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 332, in _call_chain
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1142, in http_open
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.2.5-py2.7.egg\mechanize\_urllib2_fork.py", line 1118, in do_open
URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 10013] An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions>

************************************************** ******************************

****************************** Google ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.3 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/6.0.472.63 Safari/534.3')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Google took 1.21700000763
Failed to make identify query: u'http://books.google.com/books/feeds/volumes?start-index=1&min-viewability=none&q=intitle%3AHierarchy+intitle%3Ao f+intitle%3ANeeds+intitle%3APortland+intitle%3AReb els%2Binauthor%3ARebecca+inauthor%3AGrace+inauthor %3AAllen&max-results=20'
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\google.py ", line 301, in identify

************************************************** ******************************
The identify phase took 1.45 seconds
The longest time (1.217000) was taken by: Google
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest publication dates from the worldcat.org service
We have 0 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds
Advert
Old 07-02-2015, 02:05 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Maybe it isn't your antivirus, but something sure is blocking calibre from connecting to the internet.

Try checking your antivirus anyway. Make sure calibre is specifically excluded. Antiviruses often treat software upgrades as new programs, and block them.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:50 AM   #7
Kaetrin
Connoisseur

Resolved

When I was trying to troubleshoot with my husband when he came home, it spontaneously started to work. Hubs tells me Nortons would have popped up a message if it had been blocking the program so who knows what it was. It seems to be working okay now so I won't look a gift horse in the mouth!

thx for your help anyway!