Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
How much would it cost Jeff Bezos to do this for me?

....and for all my friends here on MobileRead.

Did you say 'get to the point'?

OK. You're very impatient today!

How much would it cost Jeff Bezos - because we're the best of good ol' buddies and he remembers the time I saved him from the Babozogomba headhunters in the land of RickiTickiTavaJava - to update the Kindle DX-G with a front-lit screen, newer firmware, and a touch screen?

Keep in mind, however, that he would be making these available for free not only to me but for all the Kindle DX-G members here on MobileRead - that's how much he values my friendship!

It's the least he could do, don't you think? Furthermore, he's happy to do it. Why, just the other day I saw a big grin on his face. (Or has that been there every day for the past 15 years?)

Are we talking 15 million? 40 million dollars?

I have it on good authority that he would do this for me...and for you!

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-23-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You're very impatient today!
I'm not impatient. I'm crabby. Not just today, either.

If Jeff wants to give me a DX-sized Paperwhite, I'll take it. The main problem with bigger Kindle was the even bigger price.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I'm always impatient.

Maybe a DX sized Paperwhite would be nice.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:58 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The DX is a Kindle 2. It will never be updated. Remember that it was released as an experiment to try to get eInk devices used as a replacement for textbooks in schools and universities - an experiment which basically failed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
In the age of 6" phones, is a new DX unthinkable? Even Apple is rumored to be working on an oversized iPad.

I would not be at all surprised if the next pw had a >6" option. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and predict it.

OTOH, a free DX upgrade is unicorn territory, but hey ...
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I'd absolutely kill for a DXG sized PaperWhite! With the memory capacity of a DXG!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
In the age of 6" phones, is a new DX unthinkable?
Probably not unthinkable, but I think the cost of 9.7" eInk screens would need to drop so the device isn't $350 or more. If it could be sold for the price the DX has dropped to now ($239) then it might work (with improved software).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:56 AM   #8
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
122.088.821.460.23,00 ZMK
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I'd absolutely kill for a DXG sized PaperWhite! With the memory capacity of a DXG!

That makes two murders!

Yes, I would love to have a modern, mostly glitch-free [hola! Boox] Reader similar to that of a PaperWhite.

Perhaps the new Sony will revive Bezos's thinking.

Don
Old 08-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
That makes two murders!

Yes, I would love to have a modern, mostly glitch-free [hola! Boox] Reader similar to that of a PaperWhite.

Perhaps the new Sony will revive Bezos's thinking.

Don
You do realize that this thread could come back to haunt you if two enemies of Jeff Bezos are found in a pool of blood beside a pipe and chicken feathers?
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Murder 3 here

I love my new Kobo AuraHD ; the hi-res screen and frontlight are gorgeous, and it has spoiled me rotten, but even at 6.8" it's...small. If they bring out a DX with a frontlight and a 2400x1650 screen (eInk has a 9.7" screen assembly with that resolution), I'd get it so fast it'd make Jeffs head spin...
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
You do realize that this thread could come back to haunt you if two enemies of Jeff Bezos are found in a pool of blood beside a pipe and chicken feathers?

Don
Old 08-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #13
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Why not just make one yourself?

How hard can it be?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parts.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	109909   Click image for larger version

Name:	DXPaperweight.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	109910  
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Why not just make one yourself?

How hard can it be?

That looks very simple.

I think I'll try to make one today, although with a slight variation, since I'm thinking of using a headlight from a car located down the street. I plan to do this at night, when the owner is gone. I'm thinking that a large cell battery, also from that car, should give me a front light for years.

I'll let you know the results.

Don
Old 08-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #15
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Good idea.See if you can steal a member of the family to hold it while you read.

More permanent than sticky tape.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote