Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
travelingsandy
Connoisseur
travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7", Kobo Aura
Help With .8 Upgrade

I upgraded to .8 Calibre on my computer. I am not able to load the 4 new books I just purchased from Sony Store. And I can not open the Quick Start Guide" it states it is locked by DRM. Did I do something wrong when I upgraded? Or, is it possible to revert back to the earlier version? Thank you for any help you can give.
travelingsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingsandy View Post
I upgraded to .8 Calibre on my computer. I am not able to load the 4 new books I just purchased from Sony Store. And I can not open the Quick Start Guide" it states it is locked by DRM. Did I do something wrong when I upgraded? Or, is it possible to revert back to the earlier version? Thank you for any help you can give.
You said 'upgrade'. From what Calibre version on what O/S?
(You weren't messin' around under the Calibre skirts, were you? Read the sticky on the main Forum about files and folder names.)

You have other books in the Library? An Un-install will leave them intact.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I'm a little irritated that you can't open the quickstart guide. Was updating Calibre the only thing you did? What program are you opening the guide with? What file type are the books you are trying to load?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
travelingsandy
Connoisseur
travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Hi. I am not sure how to answer some of your questions. Let me try--I had version 7.54. Windows 7 (64 bit) OS. I am not sure what the skirts are; I was not messing around with anything that I know of--I had moved the view order of my books; but, tht was all.
Manichean--yes, updating was all I was doing. The "quick start menu" is listed as a book--at least that is the best way I can explain it. The books are Epub.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hi. I am not sure how to answer some of your questions. Let me try--I had version 7.54. Windows 7 (64 bit) OS. I am not sure what the skirts are; I was not messing around with anything that I know of--I had moved the view order of my books; but, tht was all.
Manichean--yes, updating was all I was doing. The "quick start menu" is listed as a book--at least that is the best way I can explain it. The books are Epub.
The 'skirts' refers to finding fooling around in the actual folders of the Library . Calibre remembers where it put (and named) the file.
Tampering messes up this big time (I think it was Manichean that coined the term )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2011, 03:05 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
The "quick start menu" is listed as a book--at least that is the best way I can explain it.
What are you doing to try and view the guide? Which program is opening when you do that?
Old 05-13-2011, 03:24 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can't open DRM-protected books in Calibre; it can only handle DRM-free books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
However the Calibre User Guide should not be DRM protected, so the issue is why Calibre is saying that it is for OP!
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
However the Calibre User Guide should not be DRM protected, so the issue is why Calibre is saying that it is for OP!
Which is why I'm trying to find out which program he is using to open it.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #10
travelingsandy
Connoisseur

Manichean. Thank you so much for attempting to assist me with this issue. I uninstalled calibre & do not intend to reinstall it--it is just too irritating. It appears to be a good program, just not for my needs.

I have used and supported my local library for years & I have purchased 100's of hardcover books also. I am in the process of donating my hardcover collection to my local library as we are downsizing. Since retirement, we travel alot & reading hard cover has become cumbersome and e-reading on my laptop is also cumbersome for travel. Hence my interest in an e-reader, this site has been helpful with my decision on which device to purchase. I would never consider pirating books (would not even know how). I have a great deal of respect for writers & feel their income is well deserved. I will continue to rent from my local library & will also purchase from sites such as Sony & Borders. I never even heard of DRM until a couple of weeks ago.

Sorry to have rambled on; but, I felt a need for explanation. I will use the Sony Library Reader for my book management needs because I do not need to worry about DRM & become irritated in the process--I need simplification in my retirement years. Thanks again for your attempt.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Manichean. Thank you so much for attempting to assist me with this issue. I uninstalled calibre & do not intend to reinstall it--it is just too irritating. It appears to be a good program, just not for my needs.
That's a shame, but it's not Calibre that's irritating you, it's DRM, and calibre leads the fight against that irritation. Please don't blame those few who fight to rid us of that scourge for the problems it causes.

Quote:
Hence my interest in an e-reader, this site has been helpful with my decision on which device to purchase.
Quote:
I will continue to rent from my local library & will also purchase from sites such as Sony & Borders. I never even heard of DRM until a couple of weeks ago.
If you are getting e-books from your library or Borders, you are deeply involved in DRM, whether you know it or not. You're supporting it and making it just a bit harder for everyone who wants to get rid of it. With Calibre you can buy DRM free books (you can also buy them without calibre) and you are missing the best program available for managing e-books.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #12
travelingsandy
Connoisseur

Starson17. You are right, the Calibre.8 upgrade would not let me open books from Sony Store, Borders or the library. Those are the locations that all of my books are from. Eventually I will seek out additional sites; but I assume I will use these three also. That was my reason for stating the program may not fit my needs.