Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
Pericles
Pericles began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Moving to China...can I still buy Kobo ebooks?

I'm moving to China very soon. Will I be able to purchase ebooks from Kobo while living there or will it detect a Chinese IP address and for whatever reason not allow me to make purchases? If yes, then I will just have to buy a ton of books before I go! Please advise.
Pericles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:10 AM   #2
ypocaramel
Connoisseur
ypocaramel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700, Barnes and Noble NOOKcolor)
I haven't actually tried on the mainland, but Kobo books are in general available internationally unless the publisher has requested otherwise, which is quite a few books. I'd recommend you buy what you definitely want to read before you go anyways, just in case. I don't know what the situation with the firewall is with Kobo, the government is usually more concerned with Chinese sources than others.

Though that said, many foreign companies operate through a VPN and of course, so do individuals.
ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 06:07 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your new company, Pericles. And bon voyage. Can't you upload ePub books from many other sources for use on your Kobo? I that doubt you're limited to the Kobo store itself. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If you have a Kobo account already, Kobo looks to the country associated with your credit card and delivers that version of the Kobobook store when you buy books. If you log in, you should get that version of the store despite your current location. As long as your non-Chinese credit card works, you should be good to go.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
Pericles
Pericles began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Perfect. Thank you kindly all for the information.

Best,
P.
Pericles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Keep in touch while you are away - we have a lounge forum where you can write about your experiences. And we have the library area where you can find lots of books formatted for Kobos, all loving done, and all free. Up at the top, labeled E-Books.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote