Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-20-2020, 10:50 AM   #1
keithwwalker
keithwwalker has become one with the cosmoskeithwwalker has become one with the cosmoskeithwwalker has become one with the cosmoskeithwwalker has become one with the cosmoskeithwwalker has become one with the cosmoskeithwwalker has become one with the cosmoskeithwwalker has become one with the cosmoskeithwwalker has become one with the cosmoskeithwwalker has become one with the cosmoskeithwwalker has become one with the cosmoskeithwwalker has become one with the cosmos

Device: Boox Note 10.3
Boox Note Battery Replacement

I replaced the stock battery in my Note 10.3 with a replacement battery from Aliexpress. The stock battery is 4100mAhr, the replacement is 6800mAhr(!).

Same physical size, but the replacement battery has a tiny circuit board (I assume to help manage the battery charge better - the stock battery had none, probably why the battery crapped out in just over 2 years).

Soldering skills are necessary(!), I am not great, but with a bit of liquid flux, I tinned the wires on the motherboard and soldered the battery wires to them - it worked out.

The stock battery is held down with two strong adhesive strips, if you pry carefully the adhesive stays on the gray subframe and not the battery - be careful to pry only where the gray subframe is.

I had to bend the three wire leads carefully so they would not be pinched by the raised ridge of the gray subframe upon reassembly.

My Boox back case was already cracked in 2 corners and chipped in a third - it is a design weak point - be prepared for case damage if you try to take the case off for battery change.

Photos here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nDqRWJTb43D9vsTT9

Battery link is here, I can't vouch for the safety or ultimate compatibility, but the battery is the same size.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3286...36214c4dTymZV7
keithwwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:36 PM   #2
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Hope I never need to make use of this information, but thank you very much for posting it. In the event that I do eventually need it, it will be very useful.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #3
Neru
!!!
Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Boox Note 2, Boox i86
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwwalker View Post
I replaced the stock battery in my Note 10.3 with a replacement battery from Aliexpress. The stock battery is 4100mAhr, the replacement is 6800mAhr(!).

Same physical size, but the replacement battery has a tiny circuit board (I assume to help manage the battery charge better - the stock battery had none, probably why the battery crapped out in just over 2 years).

Soldering skills are necessary(!), I am not great, but with a bit of liquid flux, I tinned the wires on the motherboard and soldered the battery wires to them - it worked out.

The stock battery is held down with two strong adhesive strips, if you pry carefully the adhesive stays on the gray subframe and not the battery - be careful to pry only where the gray subframe is.

I had to bend the three wire leads carefully so they would not be pinched by the raised ridge of the gray subframe upon reassembly.

My Boox back case was already cracked in 2 corners and chipped in a third - it is a design weak point - be prepared for case damage if you try to take the case off for battery change.

Photos here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nDqRWJTb43D9vsTT9

Battery link is here, I can't vouch for the safety or ultimate compatibility, but the battery is the same size.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3286...36214c4dTymZV7
Oh no. The same seller I bought from. My battery already is dead after approx 5 months of use. The seller did read my messages (it was shown as 'read' in aliexpress chat) but never answered back when I was complaining about it slowly dying. Eventually I contacted Aliexpress support and they send him an email and the seller answered 'oh sorry I did not see the email' and asked me to ship it to them if I wanted a replacement which would take more than 2 months for a round trip and then again I am not sure how long this replacement battery would live. When I explained this to the seller they simply responded 'ok'. That's all of their response after two months of complaining.

I am currently searching for replacement one as its actually not advisable to work with Note without a charger- it sometimes would die in the middle of sketching or writing and the progress would be lost. It simply lost its portability. I have read someone using original Asus Nexus 7 battery in their boox Max but I am not sure how would it go into Note since its capacity is a bit smaller. Although the dimensions seem good.

Last edited by Neru; 12-24-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Neru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:27 PM   #4
Robert Bitzer
Enthusiast
Robert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipseRobert Bitzer can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air, Kindle Oasis2, Sony PRS-650
I wonder if the connector on the Boox next to the positive lead might be for a battery? Would save a lot of solder /replacement heartache.
Robert Bitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 05:42 AM   #5
Neru
!!!
Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Boox Note 2, Boox i86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bitzer View Post
I wonder if the connector on the Boox next to the positive lead might be for a battery? Would save a lot of solder /replacement heartache.
As far as it seems there are 3 lines coming to the connector, I will test with a multimeter if they are actually connected or just passing by.
Edit: The connector is connected to the soldered wires in the same order.
Do you currently have your Boox dissembled? If yes, could I ask for a favour to take a photo of a certain part please?

Last edited by Neru; 12-25-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Neru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 03:22 PM   #6
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwwalker View Post
Just wondering how your replacement battery is working out as I am currently looking for a battery for my Note Pro which has become unreliable and drains quite rapidly and unexpectedly.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:40 AM   #7
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Gents, be very, but very very careful while replacing the batteries.

Have in consideration that:
  • If you torque the battery and/or make a hole, be ready for a serious fire and very toxic smoke. It it happens, don't try to extinguish with water because water reacts with Lithium and continues fire.
  • New battery cannot be bigger in size than the replaced one, as they grow in size while charging (remember Samsung Note 8 issue)
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:02 PM   #8
CoryHamma
eBook Junkie
CoryHamma began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note
I had an issue where my Note Pro was turning off randomly. I bought the battery referenced above and installed it today. I'll revise if mine poops out. It was tricky getting the old battery out - used a putty knife to ease it up but the old one it still bent. New battery worked great.

Used a guitar pick to loosen the case after taking out the 2 screws at the bottom. I used an iFixit screwdriver kit which had the proper bits for those tiny screws.
CoryHamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 06:43 PM   #9
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHamma View Post
It was tricky getting the old battery out - used a putty knife to ease it up but the old one it still bent. New battery worked great.
Be careful with that old battery. When I took mine out of my Note Pro, I taped up the ends so that they couldn't touch each other. I then put it to the side. I usually wait until I have enough old batteries of various sorts before taking them to a hazardous waste disposal site. When I did eventually make the trip, I discovered that my old Boox battery was dangerously swollen.

Tags
battery, boox, drain, note, replacement