Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-28-2020, 09:00 AM   #1
letshin
letshin began at the beginning.

Device: Desire
Kindle Dashboard - Battery saving, Automation, and Requests-error

Hi. I managed to use FBInk + Requests + Regex on Python (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=335501) to create a little dashboard that is displayed on the Kindle screen. Requests pulls data from various http sources (including Google Sheets/Scripts with a little help from Query language). I currently run it via a nohup bash script, after disabling the screensaver with ¬ds and have a couple of questions.

1. What's the best practice for saving energy consumption? Is it possible to say... display the image with FBInk and then set that as a screensaver and put the Kindle to sleep on a timer before running the script again ad-infinitum? What packages would I use to accomplish this?
2. Re. Nohup. I tried Tmux as well but my instance crashes everytime I terminate the SSH connection (whether this is USB or WiFI doesn't matter). Didn't bother with Screen.
3. If I set say, a 15 minute timer, Requests stop working returning an "max retries exceeded with url newconnectionerror" error. Reseting the Kindle gets rid of the error. I infer from this that there is that one of the internal threads running requests has 'frozen' or 'timed out'- maybe because requests hasn't been closed properly? Apologies - I don't know the exact terminology for this as I don't code much.

Last edited by letshin; 12-28-2020 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Typos and more info
letshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:58 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
1. I suppose one could set a single screensaver like the SS hack does in cover mode. And then possibly play with suspend states via lipc (somehow, haven't touched a Kindle in a while ;p).

2. tmux sessions survive SSH disconnects over here :?.

3. That just feels like the Kindle having murdered the Wi-Fi?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, connection error, fbink, requests