Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-21-2017, 06:36 AM   #91
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I just tested VNC on the MaxCarta:
BRILLIANT.
The network limitations that plagued the i86 are solved.

Further tests, videos etc.: probably this evening
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #92
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
I just tested VNC on the MaxCarta:
BRILLIANT.
The network limitations that plagued the i86 are solved.

Further tests, videos etc.: probably this evening
Honestly cannot wait! I read your review on Max Carta in the other thread, finally some more in detail review!

Thanks!
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:07 PM   #93
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(I swear I spent a good part of the evening image editing on GIMP through VNC on the Max Carta. I am not saying it was most comfortable, but...)
Old 05-25-2017, 09:56 AM   #94
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
Did anyone test this solution? Is it free? Is there any video sample?

Last edited by desk7; 05-25-2017 at 10:50 AM.
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #95
OverJarred
OverJarred began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Max Carta
I tried this software (on Mac), just followed the instructions, it worked.

It seemed pretty responsive, more so than the tests I had done previously over Wifi with a VNC.

It's a trial version though so you only get half the screen. I tried following the links to see if it was possible to buy it but no luck...
OverJarred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:18 AM   #96
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
A kind request: would any owner of the Onyx Boox Max be able to post the speeds of its USB interface? As written above, you may test the speed of loading a file on the device, through `adb push` (example below):

Code:
adb push some-file-of-yours /sdcard/   # result on the i86 below
1328 KB/s (19172116 bytes in 14.096s)

adb push some-file-of-yours /sdcard/   # result on the high-end tablet below
5773 KB/s (19172116 bytes in 3.242s)
Onyx Boox Max:
master.zip: 1 file pushed. 1.3 MB/s (4707882 bytes in 3.460s)
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:06 AM   #97
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
Onyx Boox Max:
master.zip: 1 file pushed. 1.3 MB/s (4707882 bytes in 3.460s)
Thank you plusz,
after having better assessed, those values are not fully telling.
The USB connection of a MaxCarta is much "better" than that of an i86. Although pushing to the filesystem gives the same values (1.3 MB/s), when used in remote desktop sessions the i86 seems to reveal USB 1.1 limitations, while the MaxCarta is now really more like USB 2.0. To keep the connection stable (to avoid the device crashing), I limited the i86 at around 2 MB/s, while with the MaxCarta I can use values at least four times bigger. And yes, the effect is much improved.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:13 AM   #98
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverJarred View Post
I tried this software (on Mac), just followed the instructions, it worked.

It seemed pretty responsive, more so than the tests I had done previously over Wifi with a VNC.

It's a trial version though so you only get half the screen. I tried following the links to see if it was possible to buy it but no luck...
It works in M96 too, but on Amazon is 60$ for the non-demo software. I do not know if I could spend 6$, 60$ is out of range...

f.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #99
mdp
Wizard

Given that enabling USB networking on the Onyx firmware is tricky, to simplify this step I just prepared an application: UsbNetworking.apk (remove the appended '.zip', only there in order to upload the file).

Why: to share the desktop with your other systems, you must preliminarily create a logical network between the main system and the mobile device (the physical part can be cable, ether etc.). This app configures the mobile device in an USB connection (the other side remains to be configured manually).

Unfortunately, you must have rooted the device to make it work: only the "system administrator" can apparently play with USB and its networking. To root the device I am very comfortable with the one-click "Cydia Impactor" and I am using version 9.14.

The application has two buttons - enable and disable. Provided you are connected through a USB cable, "Enabling" will start networking with the system at the other side of the cable and set an address for the device as "192.168.22.2" (you can then set the other system as something like "192.168.22.1" and start connection between any server and client on the opposite sides). "Disabling" will just revert to normality. If any button returns a "warning [no effect yet]" message, you are encouraged to press again.

For those who prefer the more technical way, instructions follow in the next post.

The application was tested summarily on an i86 and on a MaxCarta. Of course, responsibility remains with those who try.
Attached Files
File Type: zip UsbNetworking.apk.zip (501.6 KB, 324 views)

Last edited by mdp; 05-26-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:19 PM   #100
mdp
Wizard

To create a procedure for enabling USB networking the "hard way", one can do the following:
prepare a file containing the commands, and place it somewhere like /sdcard/my_usbnetworking
The contents can be:
Code:
setprop sys.usb.config rndis
sleep 1 
ifconfig rndis0 192.168.22.2
netcfg
Which mean: set the connection; wait a bit; set its address; show the results.

As root (through `su`), that above script can be placed in the system with the following commands, to be issued from a console:
Code:
mount -o rw,remount /system 
cat /sdcard/my_usbnetworking > /system/bin/my_usbnetworking 
chmod 755 /system/bin/my_usbnetworking 
chown root.shell /system/bin/my_usbnetworking 
mount -o ro,remount /system
Which mean: allow me to write in the system partition; copy that script above among the commands; make it executable; assign it to the correct owners; return protecting the system partition.
For those who suspect: issuing bad commands can be a way to brick your device.

Then, from a terminal, you can issue your new command `my_usbnetworking` to set the connection and assign an address to the device.

This is what I used up to now - all considered, the application published above is probably more comfortable.

Disclaimer: no responsibility whatsoever may hit any molecule one mile away from these typing fingers, etc.

Last edited by mdp; 05-27-2017 at 02:34 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:54 AM   #101
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

has anyone tried both onyx and dasung paperlike as monitors and can draw a comparison between the two ?
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #102
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
has anyone tried both onyx and dasung paperlike as monitors and can draw a comparison between the two ?
If I may - there can be several ways to use the onyx products as monitors. For example, I and many others are mostly exploring different configurations for desktop remote software and technologies. But the chief, default way would be to use the software Onyx is preparing. Only, this solution is still in development phase and it does not cover yet all systems (linux).
In conclusion, I would still wait a bit before doing any comparison.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:43 PM   #103
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If I may - there can be several ways to use the onyx products as monitors. For example, I and many others are mostly exploring different configurations for desktop remote software and technologies. But the chief, default way would be to use the software Onyx is preparing. Only, this solution is still in development phase and it does not cover yet all systems (linux).
In conclusion, I would still wait a bit before doing any comparison.
Isnt Onyx preparing to a hdmi feature as well for later this year ? I think that would make the other ways obsolete. How is the desktop remote software working for you so far and when do you think Onyx is finished with their own software ?
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #104
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
Isnt Onyx preparing to a hdmi feature as well for later this year ? I think that would make the other ways obsolete. How is the desktop remote software working for you so far and when do you think Onyx is finished with their own software ?
AFAIK, both Onyx (see this thread) and Dasung (https://twitter.com/DasungTech/statu...69052818305024) are developing HDMI solution.
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:59 PM   #105
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
@mdp Do you think that incorporating hdmi port into Max and replacing Wifi or usb connection with hdmi cable will provide a big improvement in refresh rate?

I don't know much about hardware but I would say that Wifi should have enough bandwith and good latency to provide a decent refresh rate, e.g. in my house we stream 4k movies and there is no visible delay.

So I am confused about hdmi..It seems that both Max 2 and new Dasung will have it but I wonder how big difference will it make?

Based on what I read, the refresh rate is more related to CPU and e-ink technology itself (Regal etc.).
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote