Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Libra Cover Choice, Origami or Book?

So I’ve been away for a long time and finally bit the bullet and bought a white Libra through Chapters-Indigo (for the savings via conversion rate) so I can take advantage of the Overdrive integration since I discovered my County (San Diego) library system has a great selection of Overdrive books I want to read. Now I need to decide which style cover to order from Amazon; I’ve narrowed down to two with the same design in different colors. One is origami style the other conventional book style, I’m looking for opinions on these two styles:

https://smile.amazon.com/kwmobile-Or...9CSRC50Q34Q594

https://smile.amazon.com/kwmobile-Ca...9CSRC50Q34Q594
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:09 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I think the deciding factor is how you intend to use your reader the most... propped up for basically hands free use, or like a book where you'd fold the cover under it flat.

I don't think it's a Libra vs other readers choice for the cover. For myself, I'm holding the reader and flipping pages 99% of the time. On a rare occasion when I stop for a hotdog along the lakefront will I set it open and leave it flat so I can still read while I eat, but just setting it flat on the table next to me works well enough for that limited use.

Does the origami cover also fold flat underneath it so you could fold it back to read and hold as a book?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Does the origami cover also fold flat underneath it so you could fold it back to read and hold as a book?
From the pictures on Amazon it appears that the origami does fold flat, however I have not found any mention of the stability of it using the cover folded back. I don’t foresee using it propped up that often but it would be a nice option to have. I was hoping someone who has used an origami cover might comment. I have a couple weeks to decided since the expected arrival date is June 24th.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:07 PM   #4
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I tried a cheap origami cover for one of my readers. The reason I decided not to keep using it was that due to the fold lines, it didn't seem to provide much protection for the screen when closed. I don't know if that would be an issue with the specific cover you linked, or if it would be a problem for your usage.

I frequently carry my reader around in a handbag and decided having a stiffer front cover over the screen to protect it from accidental bumps was more important for me than the ability to prop up the reader.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:14 PM   #5
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
Origami for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
So I’ve been away for a long time and finally bit the bullet and bought a white Libra through Chapters-Indigo (for the savings via conversion rate) so I can take advantage of the Overdrive integration since I discovered my County (San Diego) library system has a great selection of Overdrive books I want to read. Now I need to decide which style cover to order from Amazon; I’ve narrowed down to two with the same design in different colors. One is origami style the other conventional book style, I’m looking for opinions on these two styles:

Hi MarciaCat
I have the origami style and like it. I mostly read the Libra like a book holding it in my hand. However, there is the odd time I read at a counter or table. In these cases the origami style works very well for me and doesn't interfere with holding it like a book. Not sure why some think it doesn't provide as much protection, mine is fine. I'd recommend the origami as it gives you the best of both worlds (at least for me).
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2020, 03:58 PM   #6
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
My preference has always been an origami style case whenever available as I often read hands-free at a counter or table. The Kobo OEM case is high quality and very nice.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:02 PM   #7
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo29 View Post
Hi MarciaCat
Not sure why some think it doesn't provide as much protection, mine is fine. .
With the origami cover I had, if anything pressed against it while closed the cover would fold into the screen along the fold lines. Since I regularly carry my reader in a handbag with a bunch of other stuff I decided a flat, stiff cover would be more protective for my use.

Your cover may be better quality. The one I had was something cheap I found on ebay - I don't remember the brand.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:31 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I don't like the origami case because it doesn't show it working in portrait. That means if you want to use the stand, you have to do so in landscape. If you can find an origami case that works in portrait, go for it. Otherwise, forget it. Do you really want to read in landscape whenever you want to use the stand?

The case I have for my H2O is a kwimobile case and I like it.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-03-2020 at 05:34 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:00 PM   #9
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo29 View Post
Hi MarciaCat
I have the origami style and like it. I mostly read the Libra like a book holding it in my hand. However, there is the odd time I read at a counter or table. In these cases the origami style works very well for me and doesn't interfere with holding it like a book. Not sure why some think it doesn't provide as much protection, mine is fine. I'd recommend the origami as it gives you the best of both worlds (at least for me).
Thank you Gordo29, this is just the sort of info I was looking for. For the rare occasion I want to read while I’m at the table it’ll be a lot better than propping my reader up on something.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:09 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't like the origami case because it doesn't show it working in portrait. That means if you want to use the stand, you have to do so in landscape. If you can find an origami case that works in portrait, go for it. Otherwise, forget it. Do you really want to read in landscape whenever you want to use the stand?

Your assumption is incorrect. Just because there is not an accompanying photo does not mean it does not work in portrait. It works just fine. It's the identical design to the Kobo OEM origami cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	origami.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	179700  
Old 06-03-2020, 06:12 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Your assumption is incorrect. Just because there is not an accompanying photo does not mean it does not work in portrait. It works just fine. It's the identical design to the Kobo OEM origami cover.
Where in the advert does it say or show portrait? All I can go by is what the ad shows and/or says and I see nothing about portrait.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:16 PM   #12
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie

Quote:

Thanks for pointing that out, I totally didn’t notice that the origami aspect only functioned in landscape format, I’m gonna have to mull this over a bit more. Fortunately I have time before I have to commit to one style or the other.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:28 PM   #13
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Where in the advert does it say or show portrait? All I can go by is what the ad shows and/or says and I see nothing about portrait.
That's the problem. Most 3rd-party vendors are of the same (usually China) source with the identical photos, even identical patterns. They are notorious for lack of information. If one looks at Kobo's cover and those listed on the OP's link, one will notice the fold lines are exactly the same on both. Further, I have one of the 3rd party covers and it does indeed function in the exact same fashion. Kobo's is nicer, IMO, but the function is the same nevertheless.

Hopefully this will help those who are indecisive about style and function. It's always a good idea to look at the OEM cover for a comparison.

Last edited by Skydog; 06-03-2020 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:29 PM   #14
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out, I totally didn’t notice that the origami aspect only functioned in landscape format, I’m gonna have to mull this over a bit more. Fortunately I have time before I have to commit to one style or the other.
It will work in portrait mode.

Last edited by Skydog; 06-03-2020 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Oops: did not intend to post twice!
Old 06-04-2020, 12:48 AM   #15
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
It will work in portrait mode.
I just checked the Kobo website and it appears it does! This is the first picture I’ve seen of it in portrait mode, I never looked at the official cover before since I wasn’t planning on spending $40 on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CBB997A9-4392-4377-AFA3-7C4DF5507F7D.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	179708