Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-01-2020, 11:22 PM   #1
NoRightNoWrong
NoRightNoWrong began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7
Mobi files which allow custom fonts?

Hi! This is my first post at this community. I was wondering if someone could please help me.

Here's the thing: I've got a Kindle 7 and, unless I convert .mobi files into .azw3 format, I'm unable to switch to my custom fonts. *But* the other day I found not one but two books in .mobi format which allow me to choose those custom fonts, without converting to .azw3 or any other format.

How can this be possible? If there's a way to change fonts while reading a .mobi ebook, which is it? (Is there any app to analyze those files' setup, configuration, metadata, etc.? I'm clueless about what makes those .mobi files different from the other ones I've been handling so far).

Thanks in advance for your advice.
NoRightNoWrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:11 AM   #2
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
As I understand it there are 2 mobi things, the mobi file/container and the mobi format. The mobi file/container is that where the file suffix is .mobi while the mobi format is the old PocketBook mobi format, inside the mobi file/container, which is quite limited in what it can do. A .mobi file/container has the ability to contain the book in both the old mobi format as well as the newer KF8 format. With a .mobi file/container older kindles don't see the newer KF8 formatted book while newer kindles use the KF8 formatted book and ignore the old mobi formatted book.

I may have made a hash of that but the wiki here has a more complete explanation:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/MOBI

Last edited by hobnail; 06-02-2020 at 02:14 AM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2020, 08:50 AM   #3
NoRightNoWrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
As I understand it there are 2 mobi things, the mobi file/container and the mobi format. The mobi file/container is that where the file suffix is .mobi while the mobi format is the old PocketBook mobi format, inside the mobi file/container, which is quite limited in what it can do. A .mobi file/container has the ability to contain the book in both the old mobi format as well as the newer KF8 format. With a .mobi file/container older kindles don't see the newer KF8 formatted book while newer kindles use the KF8 formatted book and ignore the old mobi formatted book.

I may have made a hash of that but the wiki here has a more complete explanation:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/MOBI
Hi and thank you for your reply.

I've now just tried converting a regular .mobi file into a .mobi container. That being done, my Kindle allows me to choose from the custom fonts I loaded in first place, but photo cover goes blank right after I save the .mobi container to my device. Is there any way to keep it? (I mean, the photo cover's thumbnail).
Old 06-02-2020, 09:14 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRightNoWrong View Post
Hi and thank you for your reply.

I've now just tried converting a regular .mobi file into a .mobi container. That being done, my Kindle allows me to choose from the custom fonts I loaded in first place, but photo cover goes blank right after I save the .mobi container to my device. Is there any way to keep it? (I mean, the photo cover's thumbnail).
I beleive that if you transfer it to your Kindle using calibre, calibre will created the necessary cover thumnbail file on your Kindle.

For old-style .mobi files, the Kindle will do this itself, but oddly not for combined .mobi or .azw3 files.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
NoRightNoWrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I beleive that if you transfer it to your Kindle using calibre, calibre will created the necessary cover thumnbail file on your Kindle.

For old-style .mobi files, the Kindle will do this itself, but oddly not for combined .mobi or .azw3 files.
Hi!

I've tried transfering files through Calibre, but the result is the same: cover photos go blank within seconds.

One thing I've just noticed about those files I downloaded as .mobi and show both covers *and* custom fonts, it's that they somehow generated two .azw3r and .azw3f (sic) files inside their own folder.

Let me see if I can show you...

Click image for larger version

Name:	HWKjC0h.png
Views:	32
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	179650

Name:	WQqrnnN.png
Views:	30
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	179651

Name:	nuuoIP0.png
Views:	30
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	179652

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-02-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Advert
Old 06-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Mobi aka Mobipocket does not allow embedded fonts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRightNoWrong View Post
Hi!

I've tried transfering files through Calibre, but the result is the same: cover photos go blank within seconds.
Then other possibility is that your ebooks have an ASIN in the metadata, and so the kindle is trying to pull the cover image from Amazon's servers. If the ASIN isn't valid, that might exaplain the blank cover.

(The fonts thing is simple - original MOBI format and they won't work, AZW3 (also known as KF8) or the dual format and they will work.)
Old 06-02-2020, 10:41 AM   #8
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
There is a fix for the disappearing Kindle cover thumbnail images in the latest version of calibre. See the FAQ:

Covers for books I send to my e-ink Kindle show up momentarily and then are replaced by a generic cover?
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:00 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Then other possibility is that your ebooks have an ASIN in the metadata, and so the kindle is trying to pull the cover image from Amazon's servers. If the ASIN isn't valid, that might exaplain the blank cover.

(The fonts thing is simple - original MOBI format and they won't work, AZW3 (also known as KF8) or the dual format and they will work.)
But they won't work for the Mobi part of a dual Mobi eBook.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:03 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
There is a fix for the disappearing Kindle cover thumbnail images in the latest version of calibre. See the FAQ:

Covers for books I send to my e-ink Kindle show up momentarily and then are replaced by a generic cover?
And keep WiFi off after disconnecting from Calibre. Don't turn on WiFi unless you really need to. Don't turn on WiFi when you are not going to be near your Calibre library for too long (e.g., on vacation).
Old 06-02-2020, 11:34 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:

Fascinating. Thanks! I've learned something new.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Fascinating. Thanks! I've learned something new.
But it's only a temporary fix. As soon as you sync, you blow away the cover images until the next time you connect to Calibre.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:02 PM   #13
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But it's only a temporary fix. As soon as you sync, you blow away the cover images until the next time you connect to Calibre.
Not true. Amazon only overwrites the cover once for each book. Once a book cover is fixed it should stay fixed.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:44 PM   #14
NoRightNoWrong

Quote:

Solved!

Thank you so much. And thanks to everyone who replied, as well!
Old 06-03-2020, 03:34 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:

It worked. Thanks! I converted a book from ePub, thought it had a cover image at first, which then disappeared(?). But I wasn't sure if I remembered right. It was one of those things I was going to look into, but hadn't gotten to it. Now I know I wasn't crazy (and it also gave me a good reason to upgrade to 4.17).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote