Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-30-2020, 08:09 PM   #16
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
If you want an even better dictionary (albeit lacking in modern words), try my converted Webster's 1913 Unabridged Dictionary. It's surprisingly complete, and the definitions and examples are excellent.
Pretty sure that's the one I have installed, which is really helpful because the vast majority of my ebook collection is older titles that are in the public domain and therefore freely available, and having a dictionary that is closer in time to the books I'm reading means it's more likely to have unfamiliar words that have fallen out of common usage.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:02 PM   #17
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
Wink Loading Dictionary

Jackie_W,
I tried your method for renaming and adding the file to my \.kobo\dict folder. The “English-English” dictionary is available by the pull down menu, but when I select it I get the message “1 dictionary download pending; sync to install”. Rebooting the device didn’t seem to help.
Any ideas how to resolve this?
Update, I solved my own problem. If I don’t add the .zip on the end of the file when renaming it works. Also The iMac ( running Catalina) wouldn’t let me eject the reader without doing a Kobo sync. I did that through the web app and noticed it gave a message “loading dictionary”.
FYI I got lucky testing, by choosing “Visa”. It is not in the Kobo default dictionary, but was in the Webster 1913 dictionary. I didn’t know Visas were around in 1913!

Last edited by jmmcg9; 06-01-2020 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Updated.
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2020, 09:34 PM   #18
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcg9 View Post
Jackie_W,
I tried your method for renaming and adding the file to my \.kobo\dict folder. The “English-English” dictionary is available by the pull down menu, but when I select it I get the message “1 dictionary download pending; sync to install”. Rebooting the device didn’t seem to help.
Any ideas how to resolve this?
Not really. I never saw anything like this problem myself. I've never used the wi-fi feature, though, so maybe that makes a difference?

A couple of things you could look at:

What happens if you do the sync it's requesting?

Which other dictionary .zip files are present in the \.kobo\dict folder?
Are there any there that you don't need?
For comparison purposes, this is a list of the only official Kobo dictionaries I keep on my own devices:
dicthtml.zip
dicthtml-de-en.zip
dicthtml-es-en.zip
dicthtml-fr-en.zip
dicthtml-it-en.zip
dicthtml-pt-en.zip
i.e. basically the English plus all the other_language-to-English translation dictionaries.

I was able to add dicthtml-en-en.zip to the above list without any problems.

ETA: Obviously, I wasn't quick enough

Last edited by jackie_w; 06-01-2020 at 09:36 PM. Reason: ETA
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:36 PM   #19
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
Jackie_W,
It worked when I renamed the file without.zip on the end. I am guessing that it already had the “hidden” “.zip” extension, so I probably had .zip.zip on the end.
Thanks, Joe
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote