Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2020, 12:46 PM   #646
some call me tim
Connoisseur
some call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I just ordered the Libra H2O today from Kobo. The listings on ebay are all from Japan and ridiculously expensive compared to the Kobo USA price. Sellers on Amazon also are expensive and have too many bad reviews to take a chance on. I note that the Kobo USA price is about $100 less than the no advertising Kindle Oasis with the same 8 GB memory while size and weight are practically identical. I already have the G9 and G10 Oasis readers as well as the Kobo Forma and find the Forma a bit large for ready transport and holding. The 7" screen seems to be a good compromise. Looking forward to the arrival of the Libra. I also ordered the ACDream Libra folio case from Amazon as I already have the practically identical Oasis version on both my Oasis readers.
Nice, I hope you enjoy your device! One piece of advice though, I don't recall if I saw it here or elsewhere, but apparently when you order direct from Kobo/Rakuten, it ships out of Toronto. That may make the delivery time longer and returns a bigger hassle if you decide not to keep it. Because of that, I got mine through Walmart. I'm not a fan of Walmart and would rather buy direct from the manufacturer, but in this case I figured it'd be a lot easier to just take it to a store if I decided I didn't like it. Plus, it got to me within 2 days of ordering.
some call me tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:43 PM   #647
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
Quote:
I just ordered the Libra H2O today from Kobo. The listings on ebay are all from Japan and ridiculously expensive compared to the Kobo USA price. Sellers on Amazon also are expensive and have too many bad reviews to take a chance on. I note that the Kobo USA price is about $100 less than the no advertising Kindle Oasis with the same 8 GB memory while size and weight are practically identical. I already have the G9 and G10 Oasis readers as well as the Kobo Forma and find the Forma a bit large for ready transport and holding. The 7" screen seems to be a good compromise. Looking forward to the arrival of the Libra. I also ordered the ACDream Libra folio case from Amazon as I already have the practically identical Oasis version on both my Oasis readers.
I have the ACDream cover for my Libra and quite like it. I like the magnetic "sleep" closure and the way in which the cover folds (with the magnet) to create a nice stand for when I'm reading at a table. Good luck with your Libra, I'm quite enjoying mine! I'm typically a night tie reader so the adjustable warm light has been great.
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2020, 04:44 PM   #648
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
I stand by this photo below...it is perfectly representative of my experience when comparing side by side both my Forma and Libra with the kindles.

https://i.imgur.com/iMfpVBx.png
I'm not saying your photo is wrong. But if you can change the color with the natural light and make it whiter, then there really is no problem with the light.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:21 AM   #649
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo29 View Post
I have the ACDream cover for my Libra and quite like it. I like the magnetic "sleep" closure and the way in which the cover folds (with the magnet) to create a nice stand for when I'm reading at a table. Good luck with your Libra, I'm quite enjoying mine! I'm typically a night tie reader so the adjustable warm light has been great.
IMO the ACDream folio covers provide close to to maximum protection possible other than a hard shell zippered case and are much more reasonably priced than factory Kobo and Kindle covers. Workmanship is also excellent.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:35 AM   #650
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
[QUOTE=s

Dislikes
-Uneven lighting. Like plenty of others have mentioned, the lighting is dimmer on the button side. It's not a big deal for me, but it is noticeable if you're looking for it. Again, it doesn't bother me that much, but it is a strike against when comparing it to the Voyage's screen.
-Plasticy feel. I'm not a huge fan of the hard plastic backing, I would have preferred to have some sort of rubberized surface. Also, if you apply pressure on the button side in certain places, the case creaks. It doesn't affect functionality, but definitely makes it feel like a cheaper product when compared to the Voyage. I and got a cheap cover though, and that effectively nullified both issues.
-Loud buttons. The buttons aren't LOUD exactly, but definitely audible and "clacky," most noticeable when I'm reading in bed and my girlfriend is sleeping next to me. I had a Nook Simple Touch years ago, and I liked those buttons best, just a muted yet tactile feel.
[/QUOTE]

I do not experience uneven light or loud clacky buttons. I have the White Libra
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2020, 07:20 AM   #651
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Rubberised surfaces often deteriorate and go sticky/gooey.
I've no creaking on mine and the slight shadow near button size is a small fraction of the margin. You also often have such shadow with front light off and ambient light.

The buttons on mine are superior to my Nook Simple Touch, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle DXG, 3 models of Binatone readme and Sony PRS350. Press near curved end.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #652
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Rubberised surfaces often deteriorate and go sticky/gooey.
I've no creaking on mine and the slight shadow near button size is a small fraction of the margin. You also often have such shadow with front light off and ambient light.

The buttons on mine are superior to my Nook Simple Touch, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle DXG, 3 models of Binatone readme and Sony PRS350. Press near curved end.
Even though you are right about the rubberized stuff getting sticky, I don't find my Libra to have that kind of coating. It feels like solid plastic to me. The Forma has this satiny rubber touch that I have experienced to get tacky after a while.

My Libra, like yours, doesn't make a loud sound when I press the buttons.

And the light is fine for me, too. On the other hand I am not too picky about the light. As long as it's really bright I am happy. The small shadow does not bother me at all.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:19 PM   #653
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Libra on left, Oasis on right

bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 04:10 PM   #654
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Unit due Friday per UPS but the below cover arrived today from Amazon. There are multiple ACDream covers for the Libra so I thought that I would post the link to the one I bought. Virtually identical size to the similar style Kindle Oasis 7" cover but with different back piece to accommodate the power switch location and the tapered body of the Libra versus the stepped back of the Kindle. Not the most compact or light cover but very protective IMO and with a front slot to carry a note or emergency cash fairly well concealed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Richwood; 04-18-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:07 PM   #655
some call me tim
Connoisseur
some call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra
Re: the loud buttons, perhaps I should clarify that "loud" is relatively speaking. I'm comparing to the sound of my previous ereaders--NST and Voyage. The Voyage was completely silent, the NST was muffled, and the Libra is audible. It's maybe analogous to a mouse click, which certainly isn't "loud" but comparatively speaking, just being able to hear it makes it noisy compared to others. As Quoth mentioned, pressing at the curved end is quieter, especially if you kind of roll your thumb onto the button instead of pressing down.

re: the hard plastic backing, I've had good and bad experiences with rubberized surfaces, some have held up fine, some deteriorate. My NST's surface held up fine, for example, but another device I have (not an ereader) has deteriorated and has this sticky/slimy texture to it now, so I guess it all depends on the particular chemical blend. In any case, adding the cover negated the whole issue anyway, as well as the creaking sound.

In my original write up, I was trying to be as objective as possible, the dislikes I listed were more just minor criticisms. Far and away, they're outweighed by the likes, and I'm happier with my purchase the more I use it.
some call me tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:48 PM   #656
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
ACDream cover

Quote:
Unit due Friday per UPS but the below cover arrived today from Amazon. There are multiple ACDream covers for the Libra so I thought that I would post the link to the one I bought. Virtually identical size to the similar style Kindle Oasis 7" cover but with different back piece to accommodate the power switch location and the tapered body of the Libra versus the stepped back of the Kindle. Not the most compact or light cover but very protective IMO and with a front slot to carry a note or emergency cash fairly well concealed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the cover I was referring to, the one I like:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:37 PM   #657
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
Libra on left, Oasis on right

As your image is incorrect, here it is correct.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GbI4IqU.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	178613

Have you adjusted the color light? I've seen in a video where adjusting the color light can make it more white.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:55 PM   #658
generalrunthroug
generalrunthroug can program the VCR without an owner's manual.generalrunthroug can program the VCR without an owner's manual.generalrunthroug can program the VCR without an owner's manual.generalrunthroug can program the VCR without an owner's manual.generalrunthroug can program the VCR without an owner's manual.generalrunthroug can program the VCR without an owner's manual.generalrunthroug can program the VCR without an owner's manual.generalrunthroug can program the VCR without an owner's manual.generalrunthroug can program the VCR without an owner's manual.generalrunthroug can program the VCR without an owner's manual.generalrunthroug can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: none
got mine and LOVE IT! thank you all for helping me pick this out and the case!
generalrunthroug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #659
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalrunthroug View Post
got mine and LOVE IT! thank you all for helping me pick this out and the case!
Great!!! Have fun with it! I hope you'll be able to enjoy itnin good health for years to come!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:56 AM   #660
Cybrand
Cybrand began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I have bought 2 Libra's but both have the most uneven screen you can imagine. I've returned both as I did with several Kobo's in the past, should be 10+ for sure. I'm willing to pay for a good device, no problem, but immediately will return my new devices if they don't have a screen with good lighting.
The one I returned today had terrible cones coming from the side with the buttons. I thought this was a problem from the past but Kobo still hasn't resolved this one!
Cybrand is offline   Reply With Quote