Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
misterken
misterken began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader Pocket Pro
Beeping?

When I try to turn on my EZReader, it beeps 4 times, and the light turns red, disappears, and comes back on (in red), stays solid, then goes away. Nothing comes on the screen.

Is anybody familiar with this?
misterken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
The first thing I'd do is plug it into AC.
Then I'd remove it from the carrying case and press the reset 'button' on the back.
If none of that helps, then I'd wait 10-12 hours for a full charge, and try again.
If none of that helps, I'd probably remove (completely disconnect) the battery and
press the reset button several times (to totally drain any residual charge in the circuitry), then re-install the battery, and start over above.

If none of that worked, I'd call Astak support.
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterken View Post
When I try to turn on my EZReader, it beeps 4 times, and the light turns red, disappears, and comes back on (in red), stays solid, then goes away. Nothing comes on the screen.

What ekaser said.
Do not trust the battery meter until 3 or 4 full (8+ hours connected) charges, then charge at the half point if possible.
Also, remove the SD card just to see if things change (after charge is done).
The card may need to be reformatted if the beeps go away with it's removal.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
ekaser is right

Quote:

Dear Misterken:

Sure does sound like low charge! Follow ekaser's advice first. Astak does have a solution if all of that fails. Astak can be reached at: support@astak.com or 1-866-368-8788(toll free).

If you dig back thru the threads on this Astak Dedicated Forum you will find this was discussed and solved. I cannot recall which thread; but I know about three months ago we discussed this.

Ekaser did a fine job and I think you will find that this works great!

Astak is ready if needed!

When you charge, please make certain that you see the little lightning bolt in the middle of the battery icon. If you do not get that lightning bolt it is not charging. Full details on how to charge are on: www.the EZreader.com on our FAQ sheet under "support"!

Last edited by Robertb; 01-27-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
misterken
misterken began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader Pocket Pro
Thanks everyone! I'll give it a try.

Is anybody afraid that when recharging reader, the battery image will not burn into the screen?
misterken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

Is anybody afraid that when recharging reader, the battery image will not burn into the screen?
This is not a CRT or LCD display. The image does not burn on the screen no matter what.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

There is no burn, because there is no Light used to make E-Ink visible.
E-ink works by rotating tiny "balls" with different shades of Grey on portions of them. There are pictures of the PEz disassembled. The last screen image is still showing while fully disconnected.

Don't leave your PEz in the bright sun for many days on end with the same screen showing
Seriously, the heat from direct sun is probably harder on the PEz than the light.
Enjoy. Breaking your screen is your biggest worry. To do that, you need to have been very harsh with it (sit, set, bang). IMHO Transport with the cover over the screen.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
E-ink works by rotating tiny "balls" with different shades of Grey on portions of them. There are pictures of the PEz disassembled. The last screen image is still showing while fully disconnected.

Hm... sounds like an Etch-a-Sketch!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Hm... sounds like an Etch-a-Sketch!
FYI

http://www.eink.com/technology/howitworks.html
Old 01-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #10
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
E-ink works by rotating tiny "balls" with different shades of Grey on portions of them. .
Not quite I believe. There are tiny balls within each 'capsule' and some are white, some black. I believe mixing them (using some white and some black) achieves shades of grey.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Not quite I believe. There are tiny balls within each 'capsule' and some are white, some black. I believe mixing them (using some white and some black) achieves shades of grey.
For the technology in eBook Readers you can check the E-paper page on the wiki. It also points to more specific pages on the major variations. There is also a page on LCD and its variations.

Dale
Old 01-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #12
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
For the technology in eBook Readers you can check the E-paper page on the wiki. It also points to more specific pages on the major variations. There is also a page on LCD and its variations.

Dale
The Wiki seems to indicate my belief was correct.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
The Wiki seems to indicate my belief was correct.
yes, it does. The balls in E-Ink are only black and white while the ones in SiPix are only white but gray is still achieved by mixing and distributing.

Dale