Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-20-2020, 10:05 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumdog View Post
Hi! I am new to the world of e-readers, I study computer science, so you can speak in a "technical" way if you want, I was wondering only one thing ... what exactly do the patches entail? why should you do it? do I need to activate developer mode to install them? Is this mode safe, or does it expose sensitive data contained in the e-reader to the network (if there are any)? Do I need to remove the SD card from the reader in order to install the patch? (I don't think since currently if I'm not mistaken it is possible to remove it only from Clara HD)
Is there a well done post with a list of all the mods? Or do you have to go crazy looking for them and looking for the right versions in the forum?
Please try to avoid multiple posts of exactly the same message.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 01:53 PM   #32
konstantinus
Connoisseur
konstantinus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Change pop-up footnote font-family
Not needed anymore (4.20.*), as Nickel now uses serif fonts for the footnote pop-up by default (see #55).
I have not installed 4.20.XXXXX yet. Does the quote mean that the user will no longer be able to set his font family and the font size of the pop-up footnotes? If so, it's a pity - I use this patch to make pop-up footnotes more enjoyable in my opinion. Hope someone picks up the fallen flag ))
konstantinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:24 PM   #33
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
How can we avoid making the pop-up box containing the footnote too big?

The pop-up "footnote preview" is too big. How I have its size dictated by how much text there is?

Is there a way to get the footnote box no bigger than the text?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200321_105754a.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	177850   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200321_105756a.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	673.0 KB
ID:	177851  
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:30 PM   #34
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
The pop-up "footnote preview" is too big. How I have its size dictated by how much text there is?

Is there a way to get the footnote box no bigger than the text?
Very unlikely (unless geek1011 or NiLuJe know better).

You're asking for the pop-up footnote frame-size to adapt itself to the current contents. That sounds more like a firmware re-write than a patch. That's way beyond the abilities of a nickel CSS patch.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:57 PM   #35
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by konstantinus View Post
I have not installed 4.20.XXXXX yet. Does the quote mean that the user will no longer be able to set his font family
In fw 4.20.xxxxx Kobo changed quite a bit about how kepub pop-up footnotes are handled. The old font-family patch no longer works and there isn't any obvious patchable nickel CSS dedicated to footnote font-family.

Having said that, although not a kobopatch, there is a way forward if you have the inclination and the technical skills. It will affect the whole Kobo GUI, which may or may not be acceptable to you. In outline it involves using a font editor to internally/externally rename your font-of-choice to Georgia before sideloading it to the standard /fonts directory. The new font will then be used for the pop-up footnotes and everywhere else in the GUI that used to use Georgia.

If you plan to attempt this I suggest you first read through this thread, particularly the Summary linked at the bottom of post #1 and especially post #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by konstantinus View Post
... and the font size of the pop-up footnotes?
The old font-size patch no longer works in 4.20.xxxxx but see this post and it's link to GitHub for a workaround. Not as flexible as the old patch but it does work (at least for now).

ETA: Please note the workaround is now a libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml patch not a nickel.yaml patch.

Last edited by jackie_w; 03-21-2020 at 05:04 PM. Reason: ETA
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:46 AM   #36
lildev
lildev began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I'm trying to enable multiple patches in the SRC folder e.g. libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml and nickel.yaml.
But I am running into problems when trying to create the root file from kobopatch.bat
Is there any way to enable both patches?
lildev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:19 PM   #37
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildev View Post
I'm trying to enable multiple patches in the SRC folder e.g. libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml and nickel.yaml.
But I am running into problems when trying to create the root file from kobopatch.bat
Is there any way to enable both patches?
Enabling patches in all the files is the normal procedure. The next question would be what is shown in your log file in the out directory. Since it is additive, I'd delete it, run kobopatch.bat and then post the log file here either as a text attachment or as inline text wrapped in spoiler tags (the eyeball with the X icon).
Old 03-25-2020, 08:56 PM   #38
lildev
lildev began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Tried it again and it worked. Possibly 2 conflicting settings from the different patches or a setting that wasn't compatible with my KoboGlo.
Thanks
lildev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:08 PM   #39
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildev View Post
Tried it again and it worked. Possibly 2 conflicting settings from the different patches or a setting that wasn't compatible with my KoboGlo.
Thanks
Quite possible. Its relatively easy to enable two incompatible patches though they are generally marked as such.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:51 AM   #40
Alexmetis
Alexmetis began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hello All,

I am new here. Been looking at patching my kobo for years but never got really use of a patch until lately when I decided to put some order on my books. I have around 7000 Ebooks and I wasn't reading everything I wanted because of the Kobo file system. I have around 1000 pages when I go to "my books" so looking into that was kinda boring. Now I sorted all my books by gender (novel, science, cooking,...) in folders and I would like to know if there's a way to be able to see those folders as they are on my Kobo Aura One. That would be super sweet if I could do that.

Thanks in advance for the help
Alexmetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:13 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmetis View Post
Hello All,

I am new here. Been looking at patching my kobo for years but never got really use of a patch until lately when I decided to put some order on my books. I have around 7000 Ebooks and I wasn't reading everything I wanted because of the Kobo file system. I have around 1000 pages when I go to "my books" so looking into that was kinda boring. Now I sorted all my books by gender (novel, science, cooking,...) in folders and I would like to know if there's a way to be able to see those folders as they are on my Kobo Aura One. That would be super sweet if I could do that.

Do you mean directories or do you mean collections? Kobo doesn't support directories. With the new series feature, you might not need as many collections. Read the thread about the 4.20.14622 in the Kobo Reader forum.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:02 PM   #42
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmetis View Post
Hello All,

As said by @JSWolf Kobo doesn't use file system to show Your books in categories, it uses metadata like collections, series (Author of course) ecc. And the patches won't help You.

Do You use calibre? may be not because otherwise You did not need to manually change the books directly in the Kobo file system. But if You use it and You have Your literary genres in a calibre column then this is Your solution:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...nd_Collections

Otherwise Your great work could be saved, not useless, if You install KOReader that uses filesystem.
On Kobo it is very easy:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=314220

Last edited by ps67; 03-31-2020 at 12:57 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:40 PM   #43
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Apart from the solutions presents in the post before there's a third option:
You can use the AutoShelf mod
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:00 PM   #44
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I didn't know, good idea
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:33 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriar View Post
Apart from the solutions presents in the post before there's a third option:
You can use the AutoShelf mod
Given the new series feature, I would say that autoshelf is obsolete.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching