Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-08-2019, 10:17 PM   #31
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I haven't had anything disappear on a shelf yet. I look forward to the adventure.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:49 AM   #32
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
The times I've had books disappear from the library have all been after deleting books I'd read, never just after adding new books. I haven't yet dared delete any, since I last did a total reset of the GL3 and reloaded my summer reading collection.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:48 PM   #33
nellie27
Connoisseur
nellie27 doesn't litternellie27 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Tab A, Boox Nova Air C
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
The times I've had books disappear from the library have all been after deleting books I'd read, never just after adding new books. I haven't yet dared delete any, since I last did a total reset of the GL3 and reloaded my summer reading collection.
I'm glad you mentioned this. I think that every time I've deleted books, the NG3 needs to be de/re-registered. Deleting books from the device itself, through my computer's file manager, or through Calibre- doesn't matter which method I use, a reset is necessary (usually? always?).

Simply sideloading books doesn't seem to cause the error (whatever the error is).
nellie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
So, to sum up... this is two new updates in the last month or so? Does anyone know if these updates were available on the (original) Glowlight Plus as well as the Glowlight 3...
The update showed on both my (original) Plus and the GL3.

My Plus keeps failing to update though. But that might just be my problem. I'll try it again tonight.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #35
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Seems that software-wise the GL3 was a real failure. I haven't read so many bug reports about any other device. Certainly the GL Plus 2 doesn't have most of those bugs, including the home button lag. Strange why they bungled the GL3, by all accounts the earlier Nooks had pretty decent software.
I believe the GL3 problems stem from them partitioning the memory to only allow a small amount of sideloading (I believe originally, 5.5GB was reserved only for B&N content, only 2GB were available to sideload).

There was backlash and B&N fixed it. But what they actually did was fix it by swapping partitions. It was after that when you started seeing issues reported.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:55 PM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

My Plus keeps failing to update though. But that might just be my problem. I'll try it again tonight.
Okay, thanks. I won an original (2015) GL Plus on Shop Goodwill, but it won't see it until I get back from Texas (finally about to move the rest of my stuff up to Idaho). I'm hoping the newest firmware will fix the disappearing books issue (if that's a problem with the GlowLight Plus (2015). (Man I wish they would have named the new Glowlight Plus something else.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Okay, thanks. I won an original (2015) GL Plus on Shop Goodwill, but it won't see it until I get back from Texas (finally about to move the rest of my stuff up to Idaho). I'm hoping the newest firmware will fix the disappearing books issue (if that's a problem with the GlowLight Plus (2015). (Man I wish they would have named the new Glowlight Plus something else.)
I believe the Plus is more stable than the Glowlight 3. But I have not ever had the disappearing books problem on my 3. However, when I eject my Glowlight 3, you have to give it time to reload all the books. You can see it doing so if you look at the home page after ejecting.

Ejecting the Plus is a much faster process.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 08-12-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #38
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I believe the Plus is more stable than the Glowlight 3. But I have not ever had the disappearing books problem on my 3. However, when I eject my Glowlight 3, you have to give it time to reload all the books. You can see it doing so if you look at the home page after ejecting.

Ejecting the Plus is a much faster process.
Okay. Thanks. I think I'm getting the disappearing books (GL3) issue confused with the changing the interface issue on the GL Plus (2015). I don't load a lot of books at a time anyhow, so it probably wouldn't have affected me anyhow.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #39
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:

My Plus (2015) keeps failing to update. Not sure why. On the home page, the cute little rocket pops up telling me an update is available, I touch the button to start the process, but the update fails every time.

Having said that, the Plus works just fine otherwise. If by this weekend it still hasn't updated, I'll just turn WiFi back off and let it go. The changes in the firmware don't seem to interest me anyway and I'm happy with the device otherwise.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #40
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
My Plus (2015) keeps failing to update. Not sure why. On the home page, the cute little rocket pops up telling me an update is available, I touch the button to start the process, but the update fails every time.

Having said that, the Plus works just fine otherwise. If by this weekend it still hasn't updated, I'll just turn WiFi back off and let it go. The changes in the firmware don't seem to interest me anyway and I'm happy with the device otherwise.
Still it's kind of frustrating when something doesn't work as advertised. I wonder if others are having the same issue with their (2015) Pluses. I don't know how many books I'll buy from Barnes & Noble yet, but do plan to buy some books directly from them (via WiFi). I hope the Plus can still handle that okay (with or without the newest update).
Old 08-13-2019, 12:17 PM   #41
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Still it's kind of frustrating when something doesn't work as advertised. I wonder if others are having the same issue with their (2015) Pluses. I don't know how many books I'll buy from Barnes & Noble yet, but do plan to buy some books directly from them (via WiFi). I hope the Plus can still handle that okay (with or without the newest update).
The inability to update is the only failure I've had from the Plus. I don't expect you should face any issues buying books or doing any other normal thing on it. The Plus is more stable than the 3.

My Glowlight 3 hasn't given me issues either, but it is slow and is clearly less stable immediately after sideloading than the Plus is.

I guess what I'm getting at is: have no fear. Whatever B&N's shortcomings may be, their firmware has always been stable. Only the 3 has been plagued by bugs, and as I mentioned, I believe that stems from the partition swap.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #42
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Tell me what you think of your Plus once you get a chance to check it out. I think it is wonderfully designed. It feels solid and the metal back feels premium (though I covered that immediately). I really like the pebbled bezels more than I thought I would.

For me, the only shortcoming design wise was putting the power button on the left. Since that's also where the 'spine' of a cover is, it can be awkward to turn on. If I were using a sleep cover, I guess that wouldn't be an issue.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:40 PM   #43
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Tell me what you think of your Plus once you get a chance to check it out. I think it is wonderfully designed. It feels solid and the metal back feels premium (though I covered that immediately). I really like the pebbled bezels more than I thought I would.

For me, the only shortcoming design wise was putting the power button on the left. Since that's also where the 'spine' of a cover is, it can be awkward to turn on. If I were using a sleep cover, I guess that wouldn't be an issue.
I'll definitely post a "review" (my impressions) of the Glowlight Plus (2015) when I get back from Texas. They haven't shipped it yet (had they shipped it Monday morning it might have arrived in time for me see it for a few minutes). Did the original GL+ even have the sleep feature? I'm having trouble finding a cover that says anything about that. (It does have a Nook OEM cover ‒ one with as strap to hold the case shut — but it looks like it's been used pretty heavily and is a bit "ratty." (Apologies to rats.) The GL+, itself, looks pretty good in the pictures. But we'll see, it can be crap-shoot buying from Shop Goodwill. If I really like the GL+, and this one has shortcomings, I'll probably look into buying one of the refurbished ones that BigDeals seem to be selling forever.)

Last edited by rcentros; 08-13-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #44
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Did the original GL+ even have the sleep feature? I'm having trouble finding a cover that says anything about that.
I guess you're right. I just assumed since both my Kobo Aura and Kobo Clara have sleep covers available. Now that I think of it, neither my Plus or 3 has a sleep cover. it's just a pain on the Plus because of where the power button is located.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:26 AM   #45
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
Hm, is this new firmware? I was reading today in full sunlight, and suddenly got a thermometer icon and message I had to wait for the Nook to cool down to resume reading.

Took a while in the shade, and when it came back it had completely forgotten which book I was reading (let alone which page). All of the "amount read" lines had disappeared from the icons for several books.

After a while longer powered off, when restarted, all was back to normal.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bugs, features, firmware, nook