Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-20-2016, 10:30 AM   #1
eftpower
eftpower began at the beginning.

Device: asus laptop
Creating "short cut" for portable on laptop

I installed the latest portable version of calibre on my asus windows 8 laptop. Later i went to a book I had just downloaded and tried to "open" it with Calibre and got error message.....so I went to the Calible folder and "clicked" on the exe file..calibre opened, but none of my books where there.....I assume I created a new calibre?

Is there a way to:
1)create a desktop short cut..and if yes...what is the best way ( what folder do I "short cut")

2) how do I "keep" my books available with the portable version?

I know I can add books via the "dashboard" so Im not concerned about not being able to get windows to open the book for me.

This is a long ways from my 1st Radio shack, tape recorder input 'puter

for any help available
eftpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:44 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
The Calibre shortcut points to a KNOWN location of Calibre.exe (not the folder it is in)

That may be your issue:
If the Portable install is on a removable drive, the letter may change, making the path UNKNOWN. You need to lock down the drive letter. That can be done in Windows (admin privileges needed) via Disk Management
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:59 AM   #3
eftpower

Thank you for the quick reply

The exe is under "user" on the hard drive. I see a whole list of "exe"s am I using the wrong one?
I'm using the one with the "logo"
Old 08-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eftpower View Post
Thank you for the quick reply

The exe is under "user" on the hard drive. I see a whole list of "exe"s am I using the wrong one?
I'm using the one with the "logo"
I think so:
You are running with 'Known File type extensions hidden'

Right click: Properties
In type of file it should say Application and (exe)
Old 08-20-2016, 02:40 PM   #5
eftpower

Thank you so much...The "right one" seems to be the one labeled "calibre-portable.exe

it matches you description: "In type of file it should say Application and (exe)" and when I closed the program and then used that exe , it opened with books.

I hope it will keep the book list, but if not i have them saved in " documents, Calibre library" again thank you very very much.....
Old 08-20-2016, 04:14 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by eftpower View Post
Thank you so much...The "right one" seems to be the one labeled "calibre-portable.exe

it matches you description: "In type of file it should say Application and (exe)" and when I closed the program and then used that exe , it opened with books.

I hope it will keep the book list, but if not i have them saved in " documents, Calibre library" again thank you very very much.....
If you see the proper Library in the GUI, it should be fine.
Why not do a test Add. Exit. Restart and see if it survived
Old 08-20-2016, 09:55 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@eftpower - Where did you install Calibre Portable?

Calibre Portable expects its libraries to be in the Calibre Portable directory, the one where the calibre-portable.exe is located, it won't retain a record of libraries kept elsewhere, even if you use Switch/Create to access a library elsewhere.

Nor does it make any entries in the Windows Registry for things like Open With, or sprinkle shortcuts on desktops and Start Menu folders.

If you want Calibre Portable to retain a record (in its list of libraries) of a library that is elsewhere on your computer, put a symbolic link to the library in the Calibre Portable folder and use Switch Create to access the symbolic link. The mklink command is used to create symbolic links. Whilst this will work it effectively makes that installation of Calibre Portable as Calibre Not Very Portable

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-20-2016 at 10:14 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote