Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 07-07-2022, 02:55 PM   #1
tstevens3
tstevens3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, 10th generation (I think)
SSL on content server

Hi, all,

I have the content server up and running from both inside and outside my network. Now, I want to secure the connections. My domain has the certificate installed and works great. As soon as I hit the content server, I go back to an unprotected connection.

I tried to go down the reverse-proxy path (Windows 11, IIS 10.0), but got myself twisted up in confusion pretty quickly. I read in the Calibre manual that pointing the content server to the certificate's path should also do the trick, but it doesn't for me. I can't sort this out, but do have a couple of factors that may be impacting it.

The certificate I bought (not self-signed) didn't come with a private key. Does Calibre require both?

Playing around with the command-line server, I tried to manipulate users, but none of the users I have created through the Calibre app were there. I added a user from the command-line, but he did not show up in the app. That doesn't make sense to me.

Any help will be much appreciated. If anyone has a good resource on reverse proxies in IIS, I'd take another swing at that, too.
tstevens3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:39 PM   #2
tstevens3
tstevens3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, 10th generation (I think)
I got it to work!

Finally found the right article.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...ld/ba-p/846222

That just leaves me with the question about why the command-line seems not to affect the app and the app seems to not affect calibre-server.

Thoughts?
tstevens3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2022, 10:36 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1) You cannot use a certificate without a private key in any server
2) The only way calibre-server and the embedded server in the GUI will use different users is if environmnet variables are different in the environmnets they are running. in. Use the --userdb command line argument to tell calire-server to use a particualr user database.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote