Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #46
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
With the issues around adding mobipocket to any reflashed os I was wondering if yesterday's announcement from ereader would make a good alternative. I posted this in the format thread:

"With yesterday's announcement that the ereader format will be opened for other development and the plans for a linux version of the software it seems like this would be a logical addition and/or replacement format for mobipocket on the iliad."

They seem to realize their business is to sell books and having the broadest platform support available is good for their business. Seems like this might be a good addition to the iliad.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:27 AM   #47
decay_of_mind
decay_of_mind began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
How I can use matchbox-keyboard in 2.12 firmware? What I should have to do?
decay_of_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 01:28 AM   #48
decay_of_mind
decay_of_mind began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
How I can use mathbox-keyboard on 2.12 firmware instead ereaderim one???
decay_of_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #49
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
With the holidays over, any news on this front?

I am assuming the previous timeline is off, and I know there is a new content lister, but what exciting things should we expect next?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:01 AM   #50
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Hi! I made a rather obscure post in another thread, but the gist is that I'm in the throes of finishing my thesis right now, and I expect to be done in a month or so-ish.

However, the iLiadOS project itself is intended to be primarily a clearinghouse and packaging project that puts together community-created improvements into a single usable distribution. So as you can see, other awesome community developers have made a lot of progress on things that will eventually, hopefully, be put into iLiad OS.

In the meantime, I'm sorry about the delay, but rest assured I'll be back to work once the thesis is done! It won't be too long, I hope... think positive thoughts!
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #51
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
Hi! I made a rather obscure post in another thread, but the gist is that I'm in the throes of finishing my thesis right now, and I expect to be done in a month or so-ish....
Thanks for yours and everyone else's hard work on this. I so-o-o love the screen of the Iliad, I am just jumping up and down for it to be made better and more useful by software. But I am sure I can wait, while chewing up my fingernails:-)

Good luck with your thesis
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #52
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I just wanted to post that this project is not dead.

I've been working on a reflash image the last 2 days that will include at least the following (some with optional installers).
  • FBReader
  • Updated Contentlister (With More items per page)
  • Shell Access Installed After Reflash
  • Automatic Downloaders Framework
  • Xepdmanager replacing DisplayManager
  • .Lit Converter
  • CBR/CBZ Viewer
  • USB Keyboard Support
  • Dropbear for SSH and SCP access
  • Updated Image Loaders
  • iPDF Version Chooser
  • Updated Poppler
  • iNewsStand (Feedbooks Downloader)
  • Probably More....
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #53
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Wow- awesome! You rock, Adam! And you have good timing -- I was just thinking about getting back to work on iLiadOS myself.

Since you've already got the first reflash image VERY well in hand, I guess I'll go back to the roadmap, update the dates on things, and see what needs doing next.

If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions/suggestions:
  1. What's the "Automatic Downloaders Framework"?
  2. How does the .lit converter work? Is it command-line only, or is it called automatically when opening a file?
  3. With the iPDF version chooser, initially it should probably default to the iRex standard version.
I'm assuming the whole reflash image is an actual ext2 image, right? Apparently I uploaded most of the v2.12 filesystem as a folder structure in Trac, which in retrospect was a really dumb thing to do. If we want to maintain the reflash image at all in svn, I imagine we'll just upload binary copies of the ext2 image file....?

Anyway, this is really exciting and I can't wait to see it. Many kudos to you!
Old 03-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #54
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Wow- awesome! You rock, Adam! And you have good timing -- I was just thinking about getting back to work on iLiadOS myself.

Since you've already got the first reflash image VERY well in hand, I guess I'll go back to the roadmap, update the dates on things, and see what needs doing next.

If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions/suggestions:
  1. What's the "Automatic Downloaders Framework"?
  2. How does the .lit converter work? Is it command-line only, or is it called automatically when opening a file?
  3. With the iPDF version chooser, initially it should probably default to the iRex standard version.
I'm assuming the whole reflash image is an actual ext2 image, right? Apparently I uploaded most of the v2.12 filesystem as a folder structure in Trac, which in retrospect was a really dumb thing to do. If we want to maintain the reflash image at all in svn, I imagine we'll just upload binary copies of the ext2 image file....?

Anyway, this is really exciting and I can't wait to see it. Many kudos to you!
1. See here. Very cool stuff. It'll ship with all the available addons deactivated.
2. See here. You select the lit file from the contentlister and it'll automatically convert it to a format that can be read in FBReader.
3. Correct, it defaults to the iPDF included in 2.12.1. But will include the installers from here.

Yep, just a binary ex2 image. When I've got the image to a point I'm happy with, I'll post a beta. The beta won't include Mobipocket, however.

I'll have to work on scripts to backup the internal Mobipocket viewer and restore it after a reflash, since we can't distribute it with the firmware update.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #55
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Which version of FBreader is being included in this reflash image? Will you also be including the registry updater to make files readable in FBreader from the Content Lister?

Also, I'd like to suggest adding an unzip utility (and associated registry entry). I keep stumbling across books I've loaded onto my CF card and forgotten to unzip.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #56
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Which version of FBreader is being included in this reflash image? Will you also be including the registry updater to make files readable in FBreader from the Content Lister?

Also, I'd like to suggest adding an unzip utility (and associated registry entry). I keep stumbling across books I've loaded onto my CF card and forgotten to unzip.
I haven't had a chance to port the latest FBReader, so it'll include the last version I had created. I'll probably update to the latest before I make it a "proper" release.

All registry settings will be set out of the box. This will include all FBReader file assocations (including .zip), cbr, cbz, lit, etc.

To save (significant) space, I'm dumping the build in html reader and associating html files with FBReader instead.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:46 AM   #57
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I'll have to work on scripts to backup the internal Mobipocket viewer and restore it after a reflash, since we can't distribute it with the firmware update.
I've created a script that should backup the Mobipocket software, download the reflash image from the server, and reflash the iLiad. I haven't tested it yet.

The good news is that I can now include this DJVU viewer.

I don't know if there's a book format the iLiadOS won't be able to read.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #58
jharker
Developer

I know I'm repeating myself, but this is really, really nice work.

Keep in mind that this will be the foundation for extensive future improvements, so we don't need to have everything included immediately. I'd be ecstatic with even a basic nonproprietary reflash package. Everything else is a bonus. There's a whole roadmap with lists of future improvements.

I updated the roadmap in Trac with new goal dates. The dates are a little arbitrary and highly ambitious (unrealistic?): at this point, the next milestone (2.13) is due is 2 weeks, with new milestones coming every 2 weeks after that. Adam, what do you think is a reasonable date for a finished 2.13? I assume you'll release a beta first and then we'll test it and tweak it.

Looking at Trac, there's one potential issue I haven't seen mentioned: it looks like the current on-screen keyboard is proprietary and needs to be replaced with the matchbox keyboard? Is that correct?

Edit: Or, if the mobipocket software copy-and-restore script works, we could use that for the keyboard as well. That would probably be the best workaround.

Last edited by jharker; 03-20-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #59
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
I know I'm repeating myself, but this is really, really nice work.

Keep in mind that this will be the foundation for extensive future improvements, so we don't need to have everything included immediately. I'd be ecstatic with even a basic nonproprietary reflash package. Everything else is a bonus. There's a whole roadmap with lists of future improvements.

I updated the roadmap in Trac with new goal dates. The dates are a little arbitrary and highly ambitious (unrealistic?): at this point, the next milestone (2.13) is due is 2 weeks, with new milestones coming every 2 weeks after that. Adam, what do you think is a reasonable date for a finished 2.13? I assume you'll release a beta first and then we'll test it and tweak it.

Looking at Trac, there's one potential issue I haven't seen mentioned: it looks like the current on-screen keyboard is proprietary and needs to be replaced with the matchbox keyboard? Is that correct?

Edit: Or, if the mobipocket software copy-and-restore script works, we could use that for the keyboard as well. That would probably be the best workaround.
Right now, I've replaced it with a version of the matchbox keyboard that was included in an early iLiad firmware release. We can keep the proprietary keyboard if that is preferred (or at least back it up and provide it as an option).

Provided all goes well, I should have a working (developer) beta posted today. We'll have to do testing and bug squashing after that. For the beta, I'm going to have SSH start on boot so we can easily log in and see what's going on. I can disable this for the release.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #60
jharker
Developer

Okay, looking over the tickets for milestone 2.13, it looks like Adam has single-handedly taken care of pretty much all of them. I move the "more items for ContentLister" ticket from 2.15 to 2.13 and "assigned" it to hansel, who made the improvements originally. Next up: the major tasks for 2.14 include API and file format documentation, and work on a community version of IDS.

I'll start working on how to implement an IDS for the community. If anyone wants to take a look at the open tickets for future versions, they're listed here. Feel free to work on anything or to add any new tickets that occur to you!