Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #61
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I would tend to agree with jharker's comments about a fried battery board, but there is one other possibility. The power cable that connects the battery board to the main board is rather short and can sometimes come unplugged when putting the back cover on the iliad. you might want to try charging the battery without the back cover on the unit and see if that works. If it does, then you just need to be more careful when assembling the unit to ensure the battery board doesn't become disconnected. This is a long shot, but it happened to me once so I thought I would mention it. Best of luck.

If you did fry the battery board you can always post on here or look on ebay for a used iliad with a broken screen and buy that in order to cannibalize it for parts. it may be cheaper than trying to have irex repair your unit. I did that and was able to fix mine much more cheaply than if I had sent it back to irex for repair.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:07 AM   #62
laozhang
Enthusiast
laozhang began at the beginning.

Device: iliad v1
It seems I did fry my battery board,
now the big problem is I cann't upgrade and get shell via ids,
the system don't allow you to upgrade because the battery icon is white
the CF card reflash is version 2.11,
is any other method that I can upgrade to version 2.12 and get shell ?
laozhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 05:32 AM   #63
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by laozhang View Post
the system don't allow you to upgrade because the battery icon is white
I guess modifying the powermgr program and make it always report battery full is a solution. Is the source code available? If not, you can modify jharker's powermgr.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:56 AM   #64
laozhang
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
I guess modifying the powermgr program and make it always report battery full is a solution. Is the source code available? If not, you can modify jharker's powermgr.
I have not shell access to iliad now, can I copy or modify the program?
Old 03-16-2009, 08:04 AM   #65
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

If shell access must be installed under certain battery status, then the solution that I proposed will not work.
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #66
laozhang
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
If shell access must be installed under certain battery status, then the solution that I proposed will not work.
so there is no solution.
my iliad has become a half of brick.
I could not read Chinese pdf.
I am so sad, I am an ordinary Chinese worker,the price of iliad is high for me,
I have save money for one year to buy it...
Old 03-16-2009, 09:18 AM   #67
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by laozhang View Post
I could not read Chinese pdf
If you create pdf with embedded font, Chinese pdf file should be displayed even without shell access.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #68
henryhu
henryhu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Iliad 2nd
Smile

Here is one possible method can save laozhang from such embarrassing situation:

You can update the Irex Official refresh update file 'cf-card-contents' to replace the power management module with which iLiadPowerManagement-0_90.zip provided.

iLiadPowerManagement-0_90.zip is using voltage to measure battery capacity, maybe that will resolve the problem of battery icon blank. Hope so.

The Iliad application file system in refresh package is compressed into file 'app.image.gz'. After you uncompress this zipped file, the file 'app.image' is the whole thing you need to update.

The file 'app.image' actually is the linux file system image, it is the standard linux ext2 file system. Finally you can used linux tool to update the whole system you like, even you can update to the last version 2.12.

Just a hint for your reference!

Last edited by henryhu; 03-16-2009 at 11:59 AM.
henryhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #69
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Hey, Henryhu, that is a great idea. Laozhang, can you modify the filesystem like that? If you have trouble with making Henry's suggested change, tell me and I'll see what I can do for you.

Also, if you can do what Henry suggests then I can write a modified power manager for you that will report the battery as always full. That way you can get updates from IDS.

Finally, I don't know exactly what is wrong with your battery board... but maybe it will be possible to still get the voltage from the Gas Gauge chip. So if you can do what Henry says, you will be able to use my program to monitor your battery level.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:25 AM   #70
laozhang
Enthusiast

hey,jharker and henryhu,thank you two. I was moved by yours' warm-hearted and kindness.
henryhu's idea looks great.but I have not learn to use Linux system.I don't know how to release the files of app.image . and I think iLiadPowerManagement-0_90.zip would not work because I have installed it before.

jharker.could you please give me a step by step guide of how to release the files of app.img and write a modified power manager programe for me then I can try it.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:34 AM   #71
laozhang
Enthusiast

there is a new problem
the elink screen refresh seems abnormal
when refreshing the screen jitter
does not like before
does it have a relation with the battery board?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #72
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Hmm... I don't know about the screen refresh. Is your battery low? With the battery board broken, it's possible that your battery could be drained dangerously low, which might make the iLiad malfunction. You should plug in your iLiad and see if this helps the screen refresh. Also, charge your iLiad after every 8 hours of use until you get it fixed.

Before you do any of this, you should open up the iLiad and measure the battery voltage directly. What is the battery voltage right now? Each battery should be between 3.2V and 4.2V. (Both in series should be between 6.4V and 8.4V.) Actually, 3.2V is very close to dangerously low. Your battery should absolutely never get lower than this. Li-polymer batteries should normally be kept above 3.4V.

About the reflash package, give me a few days to work on something. Eventually I'll come up with something you can use, but I'm a little busy right now so it might take a few days. Hopefully I'll post something during the weekend. If anyone else wants to give it a shot, too, go right ahead-- you may get it done faster than me.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #73
laozhang
Enthusiast

I have installed Linux system on my PC,

mount app.image -o loop /dirA
cp -a /dirA /dirB
cd dirB

then modified some files

How can I make these ext2 files back to a images file?
who can help me?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:39 AM   #74
laozhang
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryhu View Post
Here is one possible method can save laozhang from such embarrassing situation:

You can update the Irex Official refresh update file 'cf-card-contents' to replace the power management module with which iLiadPowerManagement-0_90.zip provided.

iLiadPowerManagement-0_90.zip is using voltage to measure battery capacity, maybe that will resolve the problem of battery icon blank. Hope so.

The Iliad application file system in refresh package is compressed into file 'app.image.gz'. After you uncompress this zipped file, the file 'app.image' is the whole thing you need to update.

The file 'app.image' actually is the linux file system image, it is the standard linux ext2 file system. Finally you can used linux tool to update the whole system you like, even you can update to the last version 2.12.

Just a hint for your reference!
I am very interested in this idea.
could anybody tell me in detail how to unpack app.image and how to pack to app.image
Old 05-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #75
jboardman
Zealot
jboardman is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, sony PRS900, Irex Iliad
I have replaced my batteries IAW J Harker's instructions, and I have created the directory and put the files in the proper places (I think). But my Iliad just seems to see the first 15 hours of battery and shuts itself off. After I put the files in the proper directories is there anything else I have to do - perhaps from the Linux command prompt?

Please Help!
jboardman is offline   Reply With Quote