Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 04-22-2018, 12:41 PM   #1546
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramo View Post
Thank you! It is not the perfect one-button-solution for all my problems, but now I understand what is happening!

I learned about JPEG 2000 just 2 minutes ago when downloading a set of scanned images from archive.org and failing to make scantailor work on them. Talk about Sincronicity!

Way better suport that I've ever had from any company! You're awesome!

Just out of curiosity, do you have a guess of if KOreader would do a better job with this kind of pdf instead of the Nikel standart software on my Kobo TouchC? And how did you found out about the resolution of the images on the PDF, is there a option to do that on K2PDFopt? I Couldn't find it. And the JPX & JBIG2 on brackets on -i are the file formats of the imagens than?
I doubt KOreader will do much better than the standard reader. JPX/JBIG2 simply take a lot of CPU to render regardless of the software, but I cannot say for sure since I have not used KOreader myself. Posting that question on the KOreader thread will get more experienced answers. The resolution was obtained using the k2pdfopt -i option. See the attached screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	258
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	163605  
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:48 PM   #1547
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Hi, I use this a lot and it is fantastic. Is it possible to run this on android? There is an android github version. But I guess I could use gnuroot linux or something too. The regular compile instructions look a bit complicated (but I can be a bit thick). Thanks in advance.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:43 AM   #1548
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
According to the manual:

Quote:
If you want a perfect copy, do this: -mode copy -gamma 1 -cmax 1
But when I try to do this-- to keep k2 from darkening the print on the far side of thin pages, and keep it from obscuring the text-- I get an error stating:

Quote:
** File or folder -gamma could not be opened. **

** File or folder 1 could not be opened. **
And k2 darkens the print on the far side of these pages, obscuring the text.

I've tried -mode copy -wt+ 127 which clears out the extra print, but it's still harder to read than the input, and it seems to be lower-resolution than the input.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:07 PM   #1549
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

MarjaE —sorry, it’s -g 1 rather than -gamma 1. Also include -s- to turn off sharpening.

Last edited by willus; 05-07-2018 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-27-2018, 06:23 PM   #1550
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
Hi, I use this a lot and it is fantastic. Is it possible to run this on android? There is an android github version. But I guess I could use gnuroot linux or something too. The regular compile instructions look a bit complicated (but I can be a bit thick). Thanks in advance.
RefUser used to build an ARM binary but hasn’t posted here since 2013. I do not build ARM versions.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #1551
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
RefUser used to build an ARM binary but hasn’t posted here since 2013. I do not build ARM versions.
That;'s a pity, I did read the posts already, but I couldn't find a download.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:29 AM   #1552
codetrick
codetrick can name that ebook in five wordscodetrick can name that ebook in five wordscodetrick can name that ebook in five wordscodetrick can name that ebook in five wordscodetrick can name that ebook in five wordscodetrick can name that ebook in five wordscodetrick can name that ebook in five wordscodetrick can name that ebook in five wordscodetrick can name that ebook in five wordscodetrick can name that ebook in five wordscodetrick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi, thanks for the software! It is certainly the best reflow tool I've tried.

I do, however, have some issue getting it to work on a text with lots of underlines. It is rather uncommon to have underlines for books in English, but this is a book in classical Chinese, for which it is common practice to use underlines (both straight and curvy) to mark names and places. Please see the attached pdf as an example. (Please note that the text flows from top to bottom and from right to left.)

For such a document I ran k2pdfopt with the following options:

./k2pdfopt -rt 90 -ds 0.5 -ws 0 -sm

As you can see in the second pdf, the underlines are recognized as words on their separate lines. I tried to play with the options -gtw, -gtr, -rsf to see if I could trick the program into believing those underlines are part of the words, to no avail. I also tried to use -ehl to remove the lines, but for some reason it didn't work for me either.

I would like to have your thought on this, thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf chinese_text.pdf (40.4 KB, 160 views)
File Type: pdf chinese_text_marked.pdf (142.1 KB, 157 views)
codetrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:16 PM   #1553
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by codetrick View Post
I do, however, have some issue getting it to work on a text with lots of underlines. ...
I would like to have your thought on this, thanks!
You were very thorough in trying out different options. I don't have a good solution for your document. I'd have to add a new option to try and keep the underlines joined to their characters. I'm not quite sure what that would be at the moment. I'll add to my bug list, but as you can see, I have not updated in a while--I don't have a lot of time for it these days. I would not count on an update coming out any time soon.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:12 AM   #1554
darncat
darncat can name that ebook in five wordsdarncat can name that ebook in five wordsdarncat can name that ebook in five wordsdarncat can name that ebook in five wordsdarncat can name that ebook in five wordsdarncat can name that ebook in five wordsdarncat can name that ebook in five wordsdarncat can name that ebook in five wordsdarncat can name that ebook in five wordsdarncat can name that ebook in five wordsdarncat can name that ebook in five words

Device: iphone 8
hi

i need help using the program, i am converting an ebook for use on an iphone 8, i have set the width to be 750px and height 1334px, enabled OCR tesseract at 50% cpu (default), changed the font to 21pt, and added -fc- to additional options as the program recommended. i am running your program in windows 10 pro my cpu is an i7 4870HQ. conversion keeps aborting and program crashing after not very long maybe 10% or less

just now i tried to convert a different ebook , but this time k2pdfopt simply closes when i attempt preview
darncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:30 AM   #1555
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by darncat View Post
hi

i need help using the program, i am converting an ebook for use on an iphone 8, i have set the width to be 750px and height 1334px, enabled OCR tesseract at 50% cpu (default), changed the font to 21pt, and added -fc- to additional options as the program recommended. i am running your program in windows 10 pro my cpu is an i7 4870HQ. conversion keeps aborting and program crashing after not very long maybe 10% or less

just now i tried to convert a different ebook , but this time k2pdfopt simply closes when i attempt preview
Crashes in k2pdfopt are highly dependent on what you are trying to convert. What will help the most is if you can post (or private message to me) the source PDF file which you are trying to convert and the exact command line (or a screenshot of the GUI) you are using to convert it.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #1556
darncat
darncat can name that ebook in five wordsdarncat can name that ebook in five wordsdarncat can name that ebook in five wordsdarncat can name that ebook in five wordsdarncat can name that ebook in five wordsdarncat can name that ebook in five wordsdarncat can name that ebook in five wordsdarncat can name that ebook in five wordsdarncat can name that ebook in five wordsdarncat can name that ebook in five wordsdarncat can name that ebook in five words

Device: iphone 8
PM with link to file sent
darncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:46 AM   #1557
Midsommer
Midsommer began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Note8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickeFix View Post
I have now tested this program and I am so impressed by it. It quickly converts dual column scientific papers with formulas and figures so that they can be easily read on the Kindle 3. It works much better than Duokans two-column function and is in my opinion one of the most important tools ever to have appeared for eBook readers.
That sounds pretty useful, actually. I prefer single column text for academic papers.
Midsommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:10 PM   #1558
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

After I download the Mac file for this app, and click on the downloaded file, I get a window of garbled text. Is this app still available for Mac?
ChipAHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:48 PM   #1559
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAHoy View Post
After I download the Mac file for this app, and click on the downloaded file, I get a window of garbled text. Is this app still available for Mac?
Did you follow the directions on the OSX Getting Started page?
Old 06-25-2018, 11:53 PM   #1560
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

I did, and clicked on the link for the reFlower GUI for Mac, and then get a 404 Not Found page. I just saw there is another GUI for Mac, MacReFlower, I will try that. That link takes me the app's github page, which, hopefully, I don't need to understand code to use.
ChipAHoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools