Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-27-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
New owner (Dec. 22) + some tricks of bookloading

Hello:

I'm enjoying my Sony ereader.

I bought a 1 gig card during Christmas and I load everything onto the card, as I have Collections and purchased books on the ereader's memory.

I mainly created RTF files. Here's how I do it:

I used BookDesigner to process my downloaded TXT files (as Word's is somewhat too unpredictable with the results.) BookDesginer works flawlessly almost every time.

I use this font loaded into BookDesigner: Dutch801 RM BT.
Unfortunately, I havent' found a way to get the EXACT font size I want in Bookdisgner , so I use MEDIUM and then later change the size in Word.

I then save this as an RTF file, open Word and get the title and subject information exactly the way I want it. I change those two things to 24 pt. size.

Then I select the body of the text (the actual book), and change that to 16 pt. size. (This allows - for me - actual reading in SMALL mode.) I also delete the pages and pages of Gutenburg information.

Then I change the margins in word and come in .2 inches on the left and the right in order to have some "breathing" room as I read.

Finally, I go into PROPERTIES in Word and fix the title and author information and then save everything to a folder on the desktop.

In PROPERTIES, I use the last name, first name method. It works wonderfully as I "attempt" to locate any book on the card or on the reader. (Unfortunately, Sony-purchased books list the first name, last name method. Additionally, Sony uses a flat file system that's a real pain, especially if I'm looking for an author at the end of the alphabet.)

Any suggestions or changes to this would be greatly appreciated. I've been reading the Forums here and really appreciate all the suggestions from various individuals as they post. I found out about BookDesigner from this Forum. I'm also a long-time user of the REB 1100 and still enjoy that, but it's a slowly dying format, but a wonderful machine to read by at night.

I've already purchased about $110.00 worth of books from Sony Connect (My $50.00 is part of that cost.)

I would really like to locate the font that Sony uses, so anyone can shed information on that, I would appreciate it.

I already have over 200 books on the reader. I'm also a book collector and enjoy collecting First Editions of contemporary literature of the author I enjoy.

Thanks for reading this.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Welcome to MobileRead! Glad you found it useful. It's really amazing how much great information there is here.

Thanks also for the tips about how you prepare documents for the Reader. It sounds like you are quite a book lover and collector!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you tried Stingo's e-book formatting macro for Word? Does a great job of processing Gutenberg text files to a good-looking RTF file for the Reader. It's in the "Reader Content" section of the forum.

I'd thoroughly recommend it.

There are only 3 fonts in the Reader - Times Roman, Swiss, and Courier.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
pinenut
pinenut began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib
Hello:

I'm enjoying my Sony ereader.

I bought a 1 gig card during Christmas and I load everything onto the card, as I have Collections and purchased books on the ereader's memory.

I mainly created RTF files. Here's how I do it:

I used BookDesign to convert PDF format e-books (when the fonts are too small) to those of rtf format. I also use Just Another Printer for this purpose, but I have a better control with BookDesign.

For some unknown reaons, I have not been able to use PDFrasterfarian (I tried both 2.15 and 2.16). It just don't work for me.

Addendum: When it comes to converting txt format e-books, it does as good a job as Stingo's Word Macro, if not better. That is my two cents.

Last edited by pinenut; 01-27-2007 at 02:29 PM.
pinenut is offline   Reply With Quote