Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-02-2022, 07:29 AM   #1
darkassassinua
Kindle priest
darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
Exclamation Donwgrader 2.0 - simple KUAL addon to donwgrade your Kindle Firmware

What's this? - This is simple KUAL addon which automates work with versions.txt from that guide
You do this at your own risk.
How to usage?
1)Download proper firmware for your device
just for example and put in root of ur Kindle
2)Download downgrader.zip and extract folder from zip to extensions folder on ur Kindle
3)KUAL → Downgrader → Choose ur device.Device reboots and donwngrade firmware to the version you downloaded
Attached Files
File Type: zip downgrader.zip (1.2 KB, 3547 views)
darkassassinua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 11:30 AM   #2
Freshmaker
Bookworm
Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle PW5, PW4
This worked perfectly! I was able to successfully downgrade my PW4 to 5.13.6 and it couldn't have been easier. Thanks so much for putting this together!
Freshmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2022, 02:49 PM   #3
caiotor
caiotor is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle kt4
issue

I downgraded from 5.14.2 to 5.13.7 and now the KUAL package is there. however when i click it i get error
using ;log mrpi says "hush litle baby " and nothing more lol
caiotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 03:29 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by caiotor View Post
I downgraded from 5.14.2 to 5.13.7 and now the KUAL package is there. however when i click it i get error
using ;log mrpi says "hush litle baby " and nothing more lol
Whenever you update the firmware on a jaibroken kindle you need to reinstall everything.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 03:44 PM   #5
caiotor
caiotor is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle kt4
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Whenever you update the firmware on a jaibroken kindle you need to reinstall everything.
Yes correct i fixed it by doing a factory reset, and entering demo, then doing the jailbreak with .demo method again
caiotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2022, 10:48 PM   #6
mazed_04eee
mazed_04eee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paper White ( 7th Generation)
Is there any way to downgrade non- jailbroken kindle?
mazed_04eee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:46 AM   #7
darkassassinua
Kindle priest
darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!darkassassinua is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazed_04eee View Post
Is there any way to downgrade non- jailbroken kindle?
right now - no
darkassassinua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:47 PM   #8
re4om
Enthusiast
re4om doesn't litterre4om doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DXG, Voyage
Does new paperwhite 5 (11th gen) have old interface on 5.14.1.1 firmware ? Thank you
re4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:10 PM   #9
Freshmaker
Bookworm
Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle PW5, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by re4om View Post
Does new paperwhite 5 (11th gen) have old interface on 5.14.1.1 firmware ? Thank you
By default, 5.14.1.1 has the new old UI that was introduced in 5.13.7. So it is the newer UI but does not have a scroll bar or the new collection system introduced in 5.14.2

If you want the old old UI from 5.13.6 and before, you can enable it by making a quick change to a file called CHROME_CONFIG located at /local/var. Just change the line isKPPChromeEnabled=true to isKPPChromeEnabled=false. Here is a post that katadelos made that will walk you through it:

https://redd.it/tl4tle
Freshmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 11:15 PM   #10
buyifan43
Enthusiast
buyifan43 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW 4 and KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
This worked perfectly! I was able to successfully downgrade my PW4 to 5.13.6 and it couldn't have been easier. Thanks so much for putting this together!
Actually downgrading a jailbroken pw4 can be done by just installing the diags firmware and then install the target one
but takes more time as you have to install firmware for 2 times though, so newer method is better I think.
buyifan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:38 PM   #11
icKEgAtE
icKEgAtE began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 10th Generation
I tried to downgrade my Kindle (10th Generation) from 5.14.2 to 5.13.5. I installed Downgrader 2.0 in the extensions folder. The extensions folder now contains two folders: downgrader and MRInstaller.

I put the file update_kindle_10th_5.13.5.bin file in the root of the Kindle.

I was able to start Downgrader from KUAL. But after the update and reboot process, my Kindle was stuck on a blank screen. During the reboot process, the Person under Tree picture showed with the text **** 5.12.X ****.

Does anyone know what I did wrong?

Thanks for the help!
icKEgAtE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:45 AM   #12
airotkiv
airotkiv began at the beginning.

Device: KV + KOA3
Quote:
Originally Posted by icKEgAtE View Post
I tried to downgrade my Kindle (10th Generation) from 5.14.2 to 5.13.5. I installed Downgrader 2.0 in the extensions folder. The extensions folder now contains two folders: downgrader and MRInstaller.

I put the file update_kindle_10th_5.13.5.bin file in the root of the Kindle.

I was able to start Downgrader from KUAL. But after the update and reboot process, my Kindle was stuck on a blank screen. During the reboot process, the Person under Tree picture showed with the text **** 5.12.X ****.

Does anyone know what I did wrong?

Thanks for the help!
Hi! It seems like there are two threads about downgrading. I put my experiences into the other (though they would've fit here better).

Additionally, I also got the person-under-tree screen you did but after that my device rebooted and started up normal.
airotkiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:35 PM   #13
icKEgAtE

Question

Dear Arotkiv,

Thank you for your reply and for sharing your experiences. However, I'm still not able to figure out what I did wrong or what I should do now.

I used the following jailbreak method: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346037

1. I followed most of the steps under Setup. I factory reset my device to English (UK), entered the demo mode and rebooted the device. I entered the demo configuration menu and selected Sideload Content.

2. I followed the steps under Jailbreak. I created the folder .demo. I put KT4-5.14.2.zip from the watchthis-release in the .demo folder. I copied demo.json to .demo and created .demo/goodreads. I rebooted the device again (step 8). I went to settings and selected 'Help & User Guides > Get started'. The device rebooted.

3. I copied Update_hotfix_watchthis_custom.bin to the root of the Kindle storage and selected 'Update your Kindle'.

I used the following topics to install MRPI: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=251143
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320564

4. I unpacked kual-mrinstaller-1.7.N-r18896.tar.xz to the root of the Kindle storage. There is an extensions folder (with an MRInstaller subfolder) and an mrpackages folder at the root of the Kindle storage.

I used the following topics to install KUAL Booklet (coplate): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=203326
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320564

5. I copied Update_KUALBooklet_hotfix_e3deabf_install.bin to the root of the Kindle storage and installed it by selecting ‘Update your Kindle’. After rebooting, KUAL was available as a ‘book’. I did not copy Update_KUALBooklet_e3deabf_install.bin to mrpackages and I did not use ;log mrpi.

I used the following topic to downgrade with Downgrader 2.0:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347165

6. I copied update_kindle_10th_5.13.5.bin to the root of the Kindle storage. I downloaded downgrader.zip and extracted the zip folder to the extensions folder.

7. I started KUAL, selected Downgrader and selected Kindle (10th Generation)/KT4.

8. Kindle rebooted, showed Person under Tree image and **** 5.12.X :( ****. After rebooting, the screen was blank.

9. I copied update_kindle_10th_5.12.4.bin to the root folder of the Kindle storage. Rebooted. Person under Tree image, text and blank screen again.

10. I copied update_kindle_10th_5.14.2.bin to the root folder of the Kindle storage. Rebooted. Kindle worked again.

11. KUAL didn’t work anymore, so I copied Update_hotfix_watchthis_custom.bin to the root of the Kindle storage and selected 'Update your Kindle'. This is the hotfix that came with the jailbreak. KUAL worked again.

Question 1: I installed the hotfix that came with the jailbreak (step 3). Is there any other hotfix that I need to install?

Question 2: Did I install KUAL correctly?

Question 3: Is it possible to downgrade the firmware from 5.14.X to 5.13.X?

Question 4: Where can I find /var/local/CHROME_CONFIG? I tried to follow the steps from this Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...sions_on_5142/.

:help: Thank you for your answers! :thanks:
Old 06-29-2022, 12:58 AM   #14
airotkiv
airotkiv began at the beginning.

Device: KV + KOA3
(Sorry f this will be a double post, my previous reply seemed to go through empty?)

So, hi! Unfortunately me being a noob who just was a little creative and lucky in following the rules, I can only reply to your 4th question. The actual file path (also spelled out in the Reddit entry) is accessible by KOReader's text editor, so you'll have to install that, too.
airotkiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 04:34 AM   #15
icKEgAtE

Thanks for your reply!

I was able to locate /var/local/CHROME_CONFIG using KoReader. chromeReleaseVersion was already set to 1.

I was running FW 5.14.2 so I was not sure if I could set isKPPChromeEnabled to false. I downloaded FW 5.14.1, copied it to the root of my Kindle and started Downgrader 2.0. I got a 'wrong firmware' message and my Kindle was not downgraded. I copied the firmware again and started Downgrader 2.0 again. My Kindle was downgraded!!

I set isKPPChromeEnabled to false and restarted my Kindle.

My Kindle now has the old-old UI

Tags
firmware, firmware downgrade