Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-15-2022, 12:26 PM   #1
bazookajoe
Connoisseur
bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.

Device: Onyx Leaf, excessive amount of Android devices
CC has downloaded fine to OTG SD card but will not open files (java.lang.error)

Hi,

Didn't know if I should post here or Onyx. Both would have been best but I know I'm not supposed to duplicate posts.

Thanks to Chaley's help I did get my large 10.5K library down through CC onto my Onyx Leaf using (sadly) a FAT32 SD card connected by OTG using Content Server and a subfolders template. It went super fast and everything seemed successful. Metadata correctly read, library looking like all my other Android devices. Until I tried to open the books.

No matter what I try, I get this error java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Failed to find configured root that contains /my file path then ebook file name.epub that sort of flashes up a bunch of times then "book is missing".

I tried Cloud, Content Server and Wireless to get books down (all at first then just a few to run tests). I also tried to restore a full version of backed up database on a pre-loaded SD Card of books from my Tab S6 and then just change the path to the OTG SD Card which usually works for me on regular Samsung devices but that won't work either. Same java error.

I've tried different sized SD cards (quick summary: Onyx takes 128GB and 256GB as FAT32 but some apps just won't work with it properly, e.g. ReadEra won't load my library from them, it will from a small sample from an 8GB card making this increasingly looking like an expensive brick for my purposes. No CC and no ReadEra). Even the 8GB wouldn't work with CC.

I don't know what to do or what it is. I see people periodically saying they have issues but I've never had any issues with CC and nothing a specific as this. I have a bad feeling it's just the garbage implementation/Leaf's fault.

Path wise it's /mnt/media_rw/SD Card Number/Folder. This seems antiquated for Android 10. This could be an external permission thing I just don't know Onyx is quite foreign to me even getting behind their skin into Android settings they're far more basic than I'm used to w/Samsung.

Version of CC: I've got a 5.4.4.20.apk from somewhere that I don't remember that I tried. Also tried the one from the Google Play Store Pro version that I paid for years ago in my Family Library that's 5.4.4.19.

Holding out faint hope the boffins here have suggestions. Thanks for any help.

P.S. I can't even access the SD card via Moon+ or KOReader either. That's to be expected but my cheap Samsung devices handle ReadEra and my audiobook app via OTG just fine unlike Onyx. Options just super limited on this device overall, sadly. Not meant for data horders.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 03:06 PM   #2
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
It might be a limitation of Android OS. Which version of Android does the Leaf runs?
I have a Hisense A5 with Android 9 and version 5.4.4.19 of CC. The app is installed in the internal memory, but the books are downloaded to the external SD card. That configuration works for me, is the internal storage so limited in the Leaf that you can't work with that configuration?
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2022, 04:35 AM   #3
bazookajoe
Connoisseur
bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.

Device: Onyx Leaf, excessive amount of Android devices
Hi,

Yes it's definitely got something to do with Android 10 and above permissions/storage access. I have a device still running Pie (9) and it can use Calibre Companion, Calibre Sync, ReadEra external access etc great from OTG storage. The Leaf (Android 10) cannot and nor can my Samsung Tab S6 (Android 11) so it's not just an Onyx thing.

I've got root access on my Leaf now...but I just don't know anything about this to know what I should be changing or if it's even possible to "jailbreak" the OTG SD a bit better.

Calibre Sync displays the exact same behaviour - downloads files fine, reads and catalogues all metadata, puts them on the SD card but won't open them. Error, missing file. It seems weird to me that you'd grand write access over read access.

I can work with it to a limited extent as in I can still get to my library from my sd card via file explorer and CC or CS can sync new books down it's just not optimal to try find things in a nested file structure and not a nice library interface like the apps. Calibre Sync I can see my library and access tags etc and THEN download the books I need to internal so that's helpful then delete to clear space when I'm done. That gets around the space issue (my non fiction library is enormous) but that requires me to have internet connection all the time.

So I can put up with it, I'd just prefer if I didn't have to lol plus I like to understand why things are the way they are. If it can be solved I'd love to know how it can be solved.

Last edited by bazookajoe; 03-23-2022 at 04:42 AM.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 12:10 PM   #4
AnnickGerard
AnnickGerard began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung SM-T555
Hello, I have an issue too. I had to reinstall Calibre companion and now it's impossible for me to access to my library through calibre companion. Version installed 5.4.4.19 (410). I can only open those files with FBReader.
I'm sorry if someone has already asked this question but I can't the rght answer for me.
Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220616-184818_Calibre Companion.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	194439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220618-180645_FBReader Premium.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	194440  
AnnickGerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 02:50 PM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazookajoe View Post
Onyx Leaf using (sadly) a FAT32 SD card connected by OTG
I have no problems with Boox Leaf when using CC, books on internal storage.
Boox devices are pretty stupid at OTG and when used, the data is copied to the internal storage - so it doesn't surprise me that nothing is found.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert