Notices

Old 06-28-2022, 05:58 AM   #91
imNOTdwight
imNOTdwight began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
I bet it is, Jon

ChareInk is great, but I mostly use Capita by Hoftype. Unfortunately the font is quite expensive, especially if you buy all 4 styles.
Does your version show up the different styles (bold, bolditalic, etc) as separate fonts in the font selection dialog?
imNOTdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:27 PM   #92
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
My favourite font is Caudex. Some books on my Libra insist upon putting this into italic. I looked through the wiki, but Caudex isn't an Amazon font.

I've just checked this. The insistence upon italics happens only with Kobo epub.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:02 AM   #93
eink_enjoyer
eink_enjoyer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2; Kindle Paperwhite 2
Personally I really like Minion Pro, the Medium version.
Usually I've always preferred Sans Serif fonts, but Minion Pro's serifs are very delicate.
Italic looks great, too.
eink_enjoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:46 AM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I bet it is, Jon

ChareInk is great, but I mostly use Capita by Hoftype. Unfortunately the font is quite expensive, especially if you buy all 4 styles.
I don't like Capita. It's a slab serif. I don't care for slab serif fonts. I think we much blame Amazon for deciding to use slab serifs on Kindles.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:47 AM   #95
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I think deciding on what font is 'best' is like deciding on what toilet paper one decides to use on a regular basis. The application may be slightly different (and on different ends), but one invariably has fond memories of how comfortable the encounter was and - mostly - sticks with that initial choice.

I use Caecilia, although sometimes I stray.

The above, needless to say (but I'll say it anyway), is my opinion.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:15 PM   #96
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Ares
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't like Capita. It's a slab serif. I don't care for slab serif fonts. I think we much blame Amazon for deciding to use slab serifs on Kindles.
I use Capita as well. I love slab serif fonts to read in my devices

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
jospalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:16 PM   #97
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jospalau View Post
I use Capita as well. I love slab serif fonts to read in my devices.
Slab serifs? Barbarian! Didone is the only way to read. <snicker>

Seriously, fonts are such a personal preference that I would not try to recommend one font for anyone. I've done sets of different fonts to allow them to find which one they prefer on a couple of occasions.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 01:18 PM   #98
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
Right now I'm reading Il cimitero di Praga (The Prague Cemetery) where the font type changes depending on the POV, so changing the default font(s) to another of my liking defeats the whole purpose of having different font types in one book. Anybody bothered by that?

Last edited by yayo; 07-02-2022 at 01:20 PM.
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:30 PM   #99
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by imNOTdwight View Post
Does your version show up the different styles (bold, bolditalic, etc) as separate fonts in the font selection dialog?
No, it shows up as one font in font selection, as does every other font I use.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:00 PM   #100
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
To each their own. I bought Capita as a "serif dominated font". I wouldn't categorize it as slab serif, but you are welcome to have a different opinion.

I like it, someone else doesn't like it. Dr. Drib nailed it with his opinion on deciding which font is "best".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen2.png
Views:	132
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	194707  
Old 07-03-2022, 05:51 PM   #101
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
To each their own. I bought Capita as a "serif dominated font". I wouldn't categorize it as slab serif, but you are welcome to have a different opinion.

I like it, someone else doesn't like it. Dr. Drib nailed it with his opinion on deciding which font is "best".
No matter your opinion of Capita, it is a slab serif. It's not as slab looking as Bookerly or Caecilia.

IMHO, Bookerly is a terrible font to use if you are reading KePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:23 AM   #102
jasius
Connoisseur
jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

Is Capita free? I'm having a hard time finding it for free.
jasius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:33 AM   #103
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

IMHO, Bookerly is a terrible font to use if you are reading KePub.
Well Jon, I value your opinion highly in lots of things, but Bookerly is my favourite font whatever I am reading. I keep being seduced to try others, and returning to Bookerly.
Wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:58 AM   #104
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I have probably written it before, but I almost always use Malabar.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:28 PM   #105
trekk
Terraner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasius View Post
Is Capita free? I'm having a hard time finding it for free.
It's not free, actually it's quite expensive. But I find this font very pleasing to look at, even in KePub, so I bit the bullet