Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-25-2022, 11:38 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I was expecting a device that had better specs than the Glowlight 4 not an overpriced entry level device. OTOH, it is a 6" device.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:55 PM   #32
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'd like a Glowlight 4 if they didn't partition it. I couldn't imagine the appeal of the 4e vs. the 4.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:37 AM   #33
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
So this was the new Nook?
8GB of storage instead of 32GB
No warm light (just normal white/blue lighting)
Only 212 pixel density
Not too impressive. Basically a Kobo Nia class reader that costs $20 more. B&N hasn't introduced a 212 ppi reader since 2013, about nine years ago. I guess they priced it so they could put it on sale at $100.

I hope (at least) that the 5 GBs of usable memory is not partitioned. If it's not, then (as a practical matter for the average user) memory is not any different for side-loaders.

You can currently buy a PocketBook Touch Lux 5 for $110 and it includes a microSD slot and warm light. (Also 212 ppi with 8 GBs.) It also has ADE built-in and built-in access to DropBox.

Although, in its defense, the Glowlight 4e does have the nice page turn keys and, if it's using the same case as the Glowlight 4, it seems solidly built.

How much more expensive is a 300 dpi screen compared to a 212 dpi one? At this day and age I can't see where it would make that much difference in price.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:42 AM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'd like a Glowlight 4 if they didn't partition it. I couldn't imagine the appeal of the 4e vs. the 4.
I can't see buying either one unless they are on sale (and they get the odd-size font issue "fixed"). I'm guessing the 4 will continue to go on sale for $130 and the 4e will go on sale for $100.

Now I've got to wonder what's going on with the Glowlight Plus (7.8" version). They've been only selling refurbished units for months now. Unless they are going to abandon the bigger reader I've got to believe a new 7.8" version is on the way.

But who knows.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:03 PM   #35
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Now I've got to wonder what's going on with the Glowlight Plus (7.8" version). They've been only selling refurbished units for months now. Unless they are going to abandon the bigger reader I've got to believe a new 7.8" version is on the way.

I have to say, I've really been enjoying my 7.8" lately now that I finally rooted it and put KOReader on there. Whole new device for me.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 03:59 PM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
I have to say, I've really been enjoying my 7.8" lately now that I finally rooted it and put KOReader on there. Whole new device for me.
I guess I'm going to have to try KOReader on the Glowlight 3. I usually try to avoid rooting or hacking any of my readers. But the font size issue on the Glowlight 3 (at least an issue for me) might drive me to it. The screen is too good to not use the reader.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:54 PM   #37
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I guess I'm going to have to try KOReader on the Glowlight 3. I usually try to avoid rooting or hacking any of my readers. But the font size issue on the Glowlight 3 (at least an issue for me) might drive me to it. The screen is too good to not use the reader.
Definitely do it.
It totally transformed the experience for me.

Nooks are great great hardware if the software is “not the stock crap”
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote