Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #256
hmr
hmr began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
You could perhaps try taking screenshots although that might be a rather labour intensive process if you have a lot of pages and annotations to copy. However, if it is essential information which you need to share or use on another device, it might suffice until a better solution can be found.

On the Max, a screenshot is triggered by simultaneously pressing both the page forward and page backward buttons. Not sure if it is the same on the Max2.
Thank you, this is good to know! It indeed works the same way on Max 2. For this case, I will probably spend a few hours re-creating the highlights as this is a book I'll be working through end-to-end (~500 pages), and want to avoid having some parts as images, other parts as PDF highlights.

I bought the Max 2 to be able to work through and annotate papers and books with sometimes hundreds of pages. This placed nagging doubts of its reliability in the back of my head -- I don't want to lose any work in the future. I sent feedback to Onyx about the bug, but I don't know if/when it will be fixed. I wonder whether, as the annotation data is *in* the Max 2 somewhere, it can still be exported somehow as PDF annotations.
hmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:23 PM   #257
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmr View Post
For this case, I will probably spend a few hours re-creating the highlights as this is a book I'll be working through end-to-end (~500 pages),
Ok, in that case, if you can script, can I suggest that you automate the export, through:
-- take a screenshot (e.g.: `adb shell screencap -p /sdcard/sshot000.png` )
-- change page (e.g.: `adb shell input tap 1500 1500`)
-- repeat

Of course, those commands are just examples - the screenshot file must increment its index, the coordinates of the tap will probably be different etc.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:54 AM   #258
artmax2
artmax2 began at the beginning.

Device: Botox Max 2 pro, Kindle paper white
I've just received my max2 and I'm quite happy with it!

As a possible suggestion i think it would be great if the neoreader app could have also a two page view and a side by side view of two documents at once. This way it would be perfect!!!!

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5X mediante Tapatalk
artmax2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:02 AM   #259
AmCom
AmCom began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Thank you, this is good to know! It indeed works the same way on Max 2. For this case, I will probably spend a few hours re-creating the highlights as this is a book I'll be working through end-to-end (~500 pages), and want to avoid having some parts as images, other parts as PDF highlights.

I bought the Max 2 to be able to work through and annotate papers and books with sometimes hundreds of pages. This placed nagging doubts of its reliability in the back of my head -- I don't want to lose any work in the future. I sent feedback to Onyx about the bug, but I don't know if/when it will be fixed. I wonder whether, as the annotation data is *in* the Max 2 somewhere, it can still be exported somehow as PDF annotations.
This would be a problem for my workflow as well. What if you use a third party PDF reader for reading and annotation, like foxit reader? (Or something else more geared to ebooks).
AmCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:51 AM   #260
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
I have not used my Max2 much for annotating PDF documents, and I am just discovering how awful it is...

When I use the "scribble" option to annotate a document, and then move forward/backward a page, my writings remains on screen - I have to move one page further, and then back, to make them disappear. This may be linked to the way screen refreshing is configured (I haven't checked), but it's clearly a stupid bug, and makes the functionality very inconvenient to use.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:51 PM   #261
Drew22
Connoisseur
Drew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Onyx Boox MAX
Quote:
I found another issue:

Using the Max 2 (...) When I try to export all the notes (checkmark on "scribbles"), NeoReader crashes.

When I remove the scribbles checkmark, I get the message that the export succeeded, but when I open the resulting <name>-Export.pdf file on the Max 2, or in another PDF reader (I've tried two) there are no highlights in the PDF.

So right now, I can only see my highlights on the device itself, when I open the original file, and only using NeoReader. I cannot get them out of Max 2's NeoReader.

Is there a workaround to get my hands on the PDF with annotations? Help!
There are two ways to export your notes: as .png pics or as .PDF. The latter is more practical, via: Neo reader main menu - Notes - export. I did use on Max Carta the export of annotated .pdf documents extensively and it worked very well. However, as you mentioned, there are some problems with Max2.

I could export an annotated document, but the computer cannot see the new .pdf. You should not despair though. Max2 has several childhood illnesses and they will be treated with the next update.

Also, when opening the annotated .pdf exported from Max Carta, the standard pdf-reader from Mac cannot see the annotations. Only using other pdf-readers like Adobe Digital Editions, does the trick.

Please write to Booxtor and to Onyx international about this. I will report the problem too. The more of us signal it, the more compelled the developers will feel to find a solution in due time.
Drew22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #262
jimbohen
jimbohen began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max2
Quote:
Hi, I'm new here in need of hands on user info about the Max2 before I take the plunge. These aren't all deal breakers but I was hoping you would kindly answer.

1. Can it connect to the internet via a wired Ethernet connection, using the correct adapter cable of course? Rather than just via WIFI that's not always available?
2. Can it capture and move, copy and paste and or resize handwritten notes and drawings within a page or to another page?
3. Can the point of the stylus erase notes and drawings with precision?
4. Does it have a handwriting recognition app preloaded or is it compatible with any that can be downloaded? So handwriting can then be converted to text?
5. Is the 32GB version, currently available for sale on E-bay, the non-pro Max2? Whereas the 64GB version is the Max2 Pro which is not yet selling in the US?
6. Are there any other upgrades the Max2 Pro has such as a SD card slot?

I really appreciate your help with this!
Just in case you're interested most of the above questions I posed on this forum a few weeks ago were addressed by Onyx International when I asked them again at Amazon.

"Question:
Can you: handwrite & sketch offline? connect via wired ethernet? erase precisely with the stylus point? copy & paste, capture & move, & resize notes?

Answer:
Dear,

You can handwrite and sketch offine, our Max2 now only supports wifi.With pressure sensitivity,you can erase precisely with our stylus point.
Max2 cannot copy&paste,capture&move and resize notes for now.
Thank you
Yours
Onyx International Inc see less
By Onyx International Inc SELLER on February 6, 2018

Question:
Has the white, 64gb max2 "pro", shown by your rep and others in videos, been shelved or when will it be released? what else will it add?

Answer:
Dear,

Now we don`t have the white,64gb Max2 pro,but we will take it into consideration and when it is done,we will keep you informed.
Thank you
Yours
Onxy Intenational Inc see less
By Onyx International Inc SELLER on February 6, 2018"

PS: Sorry if I didn't format this correctly but I'm in a rush.
jimbohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:57 AM   #263
inudaisho
inudaisho began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max2 / Kobo glo HD
http://boox.com/index.php/en/2017-10...1-update-max-2

official site is distributing update file.
inudaisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:18 AM   #264
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by inudaisho View Post

As 'official' site, I only know http://www.onyx-international.com/ .

Edit : But with the plugin of Firefox 'noscript' I can see that some scripts from 'http://boox.com' are called ...

Edit : With older devices, the Chinese firmware was different from the international firmware used on the devices use out of China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.onyx-international.com/ - BOOX Max2 V1.8.3 20180129 changelog
Neo Reader 2.0 :
Move writting toolbar to the left to avoid accidental touches;
Add writing Pressure-sensitive effect(default) in toolbar;
Fix first-line indent error for specific fonts;
Fix uneven spacing problem between characters in some txt files;
Fix the error that punctuations appeared in the beginning of line in some files;
Add go-to-page function for multiple pages in sidenote;
Add paragraph spacing setting. The shortcut icon has 3 choices: 0, 70% and 200%. The default is set to be 0. User can fine-tune between 0-200%;
Ignore hyphens in English words when searching;
Add switch for dotted line between columns when reading in navigation mode. The default is set to be on. User can turn it off in Application Setting - Screen - enable crop region;
Fix export failure when exporting handwritten png file individually in pdf;
Add pen automatically switch back to writing mode after erase all;

Note:
Move Note toolbar to the top to avoid accidental touches;
Add writing Pressure-sensitive effect(default) in toolbar; user can switch non-pressure sensitivity in toolbar;
Change the default stroke width is changed to level 2;
Fix the problem that template changes do not take effect immediately;
Change default sorting method of notes from create time to last-update time;
Optimize the erasing speed with massive contexts in Notes;

System:
Add virtual page turn button and fullscreen switch button on the left side of browser. User can turn them off in browser setting menu;
Prohibit auto-openning third party Applications at startup;
Fix fullscreen errors in third party applications;
Update version of Google Play store. Support Google service;
Adjust the size of one-click-to-clear notifications icon on notification bar, to make it more conspicuous;
Add page cycle for lists (current reading list, recently added list, library and etc.): First page and last page is now connected;
Change the color of √ in default application checkbox to black;
Fix the problem that TTS do not take effect until reopenning the file;

Last edited by Randy11; 02-07-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:01 PM   #265
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
I have a question: how standard is the pen for android, i.e. when you use apps like xodo, squid, is the pen recognised as a pen? And in general, how well do these two apps work? These are the apps I use on my samsung tablet, and they work really well.
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:41 AM   #266
inudaisho

boox.com

'offical' site -> SUPPORT -> UPDATE -> Boox Max2 series
you can go by yourself and wil find same page.

There is no difference between this binary (20180129) and the binary that Onyx(文石科技) have distributed through BaiduPan on the end of last month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
As 'official' site, I only know http://www.onyx-international.com/ .

Edit : But with the plugin of Firefox 'noscript' I can see that some scripts from 'http://boox.com' are called ...

Edit : With older devices, the Chinese firmware was different from the international firmware used on the devices use out of China.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:37 AM   #267
Jayjee
Connoisseur
Jayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwheel View Post
I have a question: how standard is the pen for android, i.e. when you use apps like xodo, squid, is the pen recognised as a pen? And in general, how well do these two apps work? These are the apps I use on my samsung tablet, and they work really well.
I haven't tried Xodo, but in MobilesSheetsPro the pen works. It has a certain lag, is not at all as responsive as in the stock notes / neoreader app, but it works (for me it is acceptable, as I make only small annotations in my music scores).
Booxtor wrote in an earlier post that better support for other apps for the pen is on the to-do-list - so fingers crossed... :-)

/Jan
Jayjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:49 AM   #268
Jayjee
Connoisseur
Jayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by inudaisho View Post

What is the difference between the two updates offered on the page?
Old 02-08-2018, 05:55 AM   #269
inudaisho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjee View Post
What is the difference between the two updates offered on the page?

BOOX Max2 V1.8.3 update <- older update (the end of last year)
BOOX Max2 V1.8.3 (20180129)update <- newer update ( the end of last month)

I have compared each binary with the binary at nearly same time distributed through onyx(文石科技)'s weibo (chinese twitter).
there is no deference with each binary.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:19 AM   #270
Jayjee
Connoisseur

Thank you! That helped!

Installed the update, just a few first impressions:

- the notes buttons are moved, no more accidental page deletes/turnings, etc. . great!
- google play and services seems to work. Even in app purchases (at least my business calendar app seems to have the pro functions now).

- contact sync still doesn't work. Things I have tried:
. clear the data and cache of the contact app
. giving the contact app access to storage
. removing and readding my google account
. in the account settings, disable and reenable contact sync
. delete all data from the google play services app
. installing a different contact app

Apart from the contact syncs, for my personal use the only things that I would need are:
- better support for the pen for third party apps (in Mobilesheets e.g. there is a lag between writing and the written appearing on the screen)
- toggle for capacitive screen (when I annotate in Mobilesheets, the app takes also touches of the screen as input - i have to be almost acrobatic to not touoch the screen with my hand, but only with the pen)

/Jan

Last edited by Jayjee; 02-08-2018 at 07:25 AM.