Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-31-2023, 08:47 AM   #1
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Audible Is Now Testing Ads In Your Audiobooks For Some Reason

It’s an experiment with non-paying users, for the time being.

https://www.engadget.com/audible-is-...185337088.html

What the hell???????????????????
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 03:04 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
It’s an experiment with non-paying users, for the time being.

https://www.engadget.com/audible-is-...185337088.html

What the hell???????????????????
Apache
“Audible is dedicated to continuously optimizing how we deliver audio programming to listeners everywhere.”

Oh, good grief. I guess if you go in knowing there will be ads in free or discounted Audible books that would be one thing. But, if you paid full price for a book and got ads in it, I don't think that would make you very happy.

Seems to be a trend with Amazon. I think they used to provide TV shows free of ads on Prime, now a lot of them (or all of them?) have been moved to FreeVee (with ads). Maybe I'm wrong on this, I don't watch many of the TV shows, but the ones I've looked at seem to have been moved to FreeVee.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2023, 01:27 AM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
“Audible is dedicated to continuously optimizing how we deliver audio programming to listeners everywhere.”

Oh, good grief. I guess if you go in knowing there will be ads in free or discounted Audible books that would be one thing. But, if you paid full price for a book and got ads in it, I don't think that would make you very happy.

Seems to be a trend with Amazon. I think they used to provide TV shows free of ads on Prime, now a lot of them (or all of them?) have been moved to FreeVee (with ads). Maybe I'm wrong on this, I don't watch many of the TV shows, but the ones I've looked at seem to have been moved to FreeVee.
Freevee started out as IMDb Freedive and then IMDb TV. It's ad-supported, and there is some original content.

I've never seen any ads on Prime Video, apart from promotions for Prime Originals.

Content licensing is subject to churn and it's quite possible that some things were moved over as contracts expire and so forth. But at the same time both services are going to be adding other stuff and other stuff will go away completely.

Getting back to Audible, it used to be a pre-purchase proposition: you paid membership and got to select titles over the course of the subscription term. Audible Plus includes this and an all-you-can-eat selection of titles. And podcasts (some produced by Audible and exclusive to the service).

It makes sense that they would experiment with ad-supported model as well. Everybody else in media streaming that wasn't doing it seems to be doing it now.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:14 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
IMDB is owned by Amazon. Audible is owned by Amazon. Goodreads is owned by Amazon.

Ads in audiobooks is abusive. Ad breaks inside Radio programs or pod casts are abusive.

At least on TV or Streaming you can mute the audio. Also nasty is the compression on Youtube, streaming and TV to make the adverts "louder" than the content.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 09:59 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I feel like lots of these Amazon changes stem from Jeff stepping down.

I'm no fan of Jeff Bezos. But Amazon's visionary has stepped down and now they are becoming a much more typical corporation.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2023, 11:11 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Freevee started out as IMDb Freedive and then IMDb TV. It's ad-supported, and there is some original content.

I've never seen any ads on Prime Video, apart from promotions for Prime Originals.
If I remember correctly, they used to have TV shows (not their own) on Prime that were ad free. IMDB Freedive (and FreeVee) came along later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

I'm no fan of Jeff Bezos. But Amazon's visionary has stepped down and now they are becoming a much more typical corporation.
I think it's got something to do with the downturn in business for Amazon. There's been layoffs and abandoned (new) buildings. We have one locally in Idaho that was going to be a delivery center that never opened (even though it's built). It's not like Amazon is in danger of going belly up, but their growth is definitely slowing.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 12:51 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
"Non-paying members"? Who are they?

My sense from the article is that you get the ads if you use an Audible app--because it refers to the number of ads during a 24-hour period. Which makes me happy to continue not using the app.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 04:02 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
"Non-paying members"? Who are they?

My sense from the article is that you get the ads if you use an Audible app--because it refers to the number of ads during a 24-hour period. Which makes me happy to continue not using the app.
Yes, I think ads can be counter productive. When I didn't have an active membership, there was no avoiding the huge 'sign up' ads.

Even without them the Audible app is a mess, the Library filters don't really work properly, it is effectively impossible to know which things are purchased, which are Audible Plus borrows, which are KU borrows, and it has been this way for at least a couple of years now.

Fortunately there is OpenAudible, so I don't need to use it to listen. Probably not going to renew this time around, I have quite a backlog to work through.

Last edited by tomsem; 04-02-2023 at 04:04 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 04:50 PM   #9
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

So true. So many changes since, and hardly any for the better.

If they want to offer some free audio for non-paying members, ads aren't a bad alternative - BUT I wouldn't keep paying for Audible subscription if they put ads in their streaming catalogue or purchases. I already have to deal with ads in podcasts with Spotify, and that's annoying enough already.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 06:14 PM   #10
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I don't use Audible because it's too expensive for what you get IMHO. But if they decide to put ads in it, I can't imagine how they could make it any less appealing. Maybe they're trying to sink it on purpose? I can't imagine how anyone would pay for a subscription AND put up with ads on top of that. Amazon must be counting on really desperate customers I guess.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 07:32 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'll worry about it when, or if, I have to. I'm guessing no one with a paid subscription need worry.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:52 PM   #12
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
From Audible - https://help.audible.com/s/article/w...language=en_US

Quote:
We are currently conducting limited testing for non-members only that provides ad-supported access to a limited set of Audible titles.
It sounds to me like they're considering an ad-supported membership tier — i.e., lower subscription price in exchange for limited ads, much like some streaming services do (and no one seems to complain about that). Like such streaming services, I'm guessing there will be an ad-free tier for those willing to pay full membership price.

If they do proceed with ads, I'm hoping it only applies to Audible Plus (or some other subscription/membership model like Audible Plus). I find it hard to believe it would apply to audiobooks you purchase outright.

Last edited by odamizu; 04-06-2023 at 03:42 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 06:06 PM   #13
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I listen to a lot of audiobooks and have been a member with Audible for years, I have the 24 credits per year option getting them all in one go and can spend them whenever I wish. I always run out and Audible always offer me more credits for £3.99 each which is fantastic value imho.

However the very first thing I do after purchase is download the book and run it through InAudible (Mods feel free to remove the name if it's not allowed to be mentioned) to strip the DRM so I can play it on any device and use any application I wish as the Audible app is absolutely awful.

If you're not using the app I can't see how ads would work as if you authorise something like iTunes to play your audible books there's nothing connecting to Audibles servers to insert ads once the book is in your app of choice even if you haven't stripped the DRM and you happen to let your membership lapse.
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 07:23 PM   #14
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
From Audible - https://help.audible.com/s/article/w...language=en_US

It sounds to me like they're considering an ad-supported membership tier — i.e., lower subscription price in exchange for limited ads, much like some streaming services do (and no one seems to complain about that). Like such streaming services, I'm guessing there will be an ad-free tier for those willing to pay full membership price.

If they do proceed with ads, I'm hoping it only applies to Audible Plus (or some other subscription/membership model like Audible Plus). I find it hard to believe it would apply to audiobooks you purchase outright.
Right. If it's a free tier, it won't affect me and this model makes sense for those who don't want to pay a membership free but would still like the audio.

I would have an issue if ads were introduced in the premium plus titles, though, as I mainly keep a membership fee up for that choice.

I doubt they would put in ads for books purchased with credit or cash.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 08:33 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
So true. So many changes since, and hardly any for the better.
What could go wrong?

"He gripped the sturdy ax, stalking down the dusty, abandoned hallway... There! Behind a thin wooden door, he could sense their cowering. They would be his! He raised the ax..."

"One Eight Seven Seven Kars for Kids! Donate your car today!"

If you do not live in the US and are lucky enough to never have been exposed to this hateful ear-worm, enjoy:
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote