Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
Evolut1on
Evolut1on began at the beginning.

Device: none
Need new ebook reader

Hello

iam looking for a new ebook-reader. (I have already the prs-300)

Must have:
-fast processor; quick in changing pages
-good screen (i read a lot!)
-i dont want to be dependent on one file format, like kindle (amazon) azw.

nice to have
-wifi
-touch
-dictionary

I just want to read ebooks. If i have pdf's i will convert them to epub!

My first choice was the sony prs-t1, but then i read that a lot of users have problems with freezes and now iam uncertain about the T1!
What would you recommend me? Costs should be around 150 bucks, but i would also pay 200 if its worth.

Thx for your time !
Evolut1on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Nook Simple Touch Reader is slated to go down to $99 on Monday. I have my own eye on the Cybook Odyssey, but it will only be released in Europe, I believe. Price and release date to be announced on Monday (11/7/11).
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Isn't Nook Simple Touch just ePub, as Kindle is just .mobi/.azw? (I imagine both can handle things like .txt)? I assumed that by "multiple formats", the OP meant things like ePub, mobi, .lit, etc.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Isn't Nook Simple Touch just ePub, as Kindle is just .mobi/.azw? (I imagine both can handle things like .txt)? I assumed that by "multiple formats", the OP meant things like ePub, mobi, .lit, etc.
Pretty sure no e-reader out there does mobi and epub together, unless we're talking tablets with apps. OP seems to like epub so I suggested a couple of epub readers. and I'm not sure that .lit is really a format any more.

The Odyssey appears to support txt and epub and the like.

ETA: link to Cybook Odyssey's specs.

http://bookeen.com/blog/cybook-odyssey-hsis/

This is my current dream reader. I just hope it's not too hard to get ahold of.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Pretty sure no e-reader out there does mobi and epub together, unless we're talking tablets with apps. OP seems to like epub so I suggested a couple of epub readers. and I'm not sure that .lit is really a format any more.
The Onyx Boox M90 does; and I would guess that other Boox devices do as well. However, it does not do a great job with mobi, so I'm sticking with my Kindle for that format.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 06:32 AM   #6
Evolut1on

thx for the information!

I think i have now 3 Readers on my wishlist. The T1, kobo touch and the cybook odyssey.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:17 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't understand your requirement that "you don't want to be dependent upon one book format" - can you elaborate? An ePub reader is just as "dependent" upon ePub as a Kindle is upon Mobi.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
You can get a reader such as the Jetbook or Pocketbook....that are not tied to a store... and accept a lot of formats...but really the Kindle and the Nook can accept other formats than the one their stores use. So you are not tied to them. Have you looked at the new Sony touch? I've read that people like it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
Evolut1on

@HarryT: I want an epub-reader and not a kindle. I got the impression that the kindle can only read azw files. I think i was here ill-informed.
But still i dont want a kindle I want an epub reader.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolut1on View Post
@HarryT: I want an epub-reader and not a kindle. I got the impression that the kindle can only read azw files. I think i was here ill-informed.
But still i dont want a kindle I want an epub reader.
The Nook Touch is your best value. Pearl screen for $99 is a great deal once it does goes down to that price. You can play with one at any B&N store. I like the Sony T1 best if they fix the stability issues.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
mcrow24
Connoisseur
mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle,Augen "The book", Nook
I don't find Kindle that restricting myself. You can buy a lot of books in mobi and just side load them or convert them to mobi from another format and side load them.

Kindles are a great value, that's where I'd start. If you want something with a few more bells and whistles then a nook might be up your alley.
mcrow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #12
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
I've always had a liking for the Sony ereaders, as they have some of the best flexibility (outside of tablets) for reading multiple file formats. The cybooks also seem to have a lot of flexibility, their descriptions sound interesting.

Kindles are probably the easiest to use right out of the box, although the same might be said of the Nook. If you have a preference for epubs, that gives you the majority of ereaders that are out there with the exception of Kindle.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:03 AM   #13
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch, LG G Pad. Asus 7.0
Smile

I have the kobo touch and very pleased with it.
polli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #14
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I'm happy with my K3 with 3G, and with my Sony 350. I don't worry much about format, except to not buy anything from the Apple store.

I don't like the Nook's habit of reserving the bulk of their memory space for B&N-purchased content, leaving very little space for your own stuff. And at least it used to be that the Nook treated B&N-purchased books as books, and anything else you loaded (like from Baen) as a document, and not letting you put those things on shelves or in collections. I don't know if the newer ones do that or not, though - and to me, that would be a big issue, even though I know it's not to other people.

And I think you need to have (non-rooted) Nooks registered with B&N and with an active credit card on file with them, or you've got a brick. At least the Kindles will still be usable if you deregister them (like to give one to a kid who shouldn't have full access to the store, or to lend to a friend). Again, not an issue to some people, but a big one for me.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #15
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I'm happy with my K3 with 3G, and with my Sony 350. I don't worry much about format, except to not buy anything from the Apple store.

I don't like the Nook's habit of reserving the bulk of their memory space for B&N-purchased content, leaving very little space for your own stuff. And at least it used to be that the Nook treated B&N-purchased books as books, and anything else you loaded (like from Baen) as a document, and not letting you put those things on shelves or in collections. I don't know if the newer ones do that or not, though - and to me, that would be a big issue, even though I know it's not to other people.

And I think you need to have (non-rooted) Nooks registered with B&N and with an active credit card on file with them, or you've got a brick. At least the Kindles will still be usable if you deregister them (like to give one to a kid who shouldn't have full access to the store, or to lend to a friend). Again, not an issue to some people, but a big one for me.
The reason most of the memory is reserved for B&N content, is that this partition is used by Android to install the apps (and especially also those large app-like books). These cannot be installed on a micro SD-card. If they would make this partition smaller that would limit the amount of app space. And this would mean that you would run out of space to install apps. A big problem with the original NC partitioning model, that had only 1 GB of app space. As $10 will get you a 8 GB micro SD-card and $20 a 16 GB one, the new partitioning model is a good compromise for most users.

Only the original Nook (N1E) treated B&N content and sideloaded content differently. The Nook Touch (N2E), Nook Color and Nook Tablet make no difference between B&n content and sideloaded content. They are treated the same.

With the Nook Touch and the Nook Color the registration can be skipped by using a certain sequence of key presses. A Google search will tell you how to do this. After that both readers can be used without being tied to B&N with just sideloaded content.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote