Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 02-11-2017, 10:00 PM   #1
It2Fr
It2Fr plays well with othersIt2Fr plays well with othersIt2Fr plays well with othersIt2Fr plays well with othersIt2Fr plays well with othersIt2Fr plays well with othersIt2Fr plays well with othersIt2Fr plays well with othersIt2Fr plays well with othersIt2Fr plays well with othersIt2Fr plays well with others

Device: iPad Air 2
Problems importing annotations

I want to share my annotations of a book with a friend who is viewing the same book. We both have iPads running iOS 10 and Marvin 3.1. I created an interchange file (Annotations.marvinz) and emailed it to him. He opened the file from the email, and then opened it in Marvin. The import gave him the correct messages, asking if he wants to copy or override. Finally it indicated "Your annotations have been imported into Marvin."

Yet when he opened the book, none of my annotations were there.

I tried the process myself, sending it to a copy of Marvin I have on an old iPad 2 running iOS 9, and it worked fine. But that copy of the book is registered to the same address as the source book. Any thoughts about what could be going on? The destination copy of the book doesn't have to be registered to the same email address as where you got the annotations, does it? I think this feature is supposed to allow you to share annotations with friends.

Last edited by It2Fr; 02-13-2017 at 04:13 PM.
It2Fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:53 PM   #2
binone
binone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavens

Device: kindle
I believe this feature only works if the book is from th exact same source. Specifically, the book on source and target devices should have been loaded from a common source.

I do this all the time between an ipad and iphone and the feature works well.
binone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2017, 11:31 PM   #3
It2Fr
It2Fr plays well with othersIt2Fr plays well with othersIt2Fr plays well with othersIt2Fr plays well with othersIt2Fr plays well with othersIt2Fr plays well with othersIt2Fr plays well with othersIt2Fr plays well with othersIt2Fr plays well with othersIt2Fr plays well with othersIt2Fr plays well with others

Problems importing annotations

You may be right, which would be a big disappointment. In the notes it indicates that it can share annotations with "another device" which I interpreted (willfully, I guess) to mean "a friend's device." And I read a review of an earlier version that sounded like you could share the annotations with another person --

"This sends an .mrv file which can be imported back into Marvin at a later date or shared with somebody who has the same book and the Marvin app."
http://www.splendoroftruth.com/curtj...an-app-review/

My friend and I did purchase the book from the same "source," from the same online publisher. But I know that's not what you mean; our two copies are of course registered to different email addresses.

The strange thing is that after the import of my annotations file, my friend's copy of Marvin says that the annotations file was imported correctly. But that doesn't seem to be true.

Anyway, thanks for the help.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:56 PM   #4
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
I don't think you need to worry about "book source". Marvin works with DRM-free books and does not keep track of where you or anyone got a book from. It just needs to be the exact same EPUB file for annotations sharing to work properly. That really should work without any issues.

My suggestion: when you share your annotations with a friend, also email him/her the book file itself. Then, if your friend loads your book file and your annotations file, they should see the exact same thing in their Marvin as you do.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #5
Jsolomon
Jsolomon can read faster than his screen refreshesJsolomon can read faster than his screen refreshesJsolomon can read faster than his screen refreshesJsolomon can read faster than his screen refreshesJsolomon can read faster than his screen refreshesJsolomon can read faster than his screen refreshesJsolomon can read faster than his screen refreshesJsolomon can read faster than his screen refreshesJsolomon can read faster than his screen refreshesJsolomon can read faster than his screen refreshesJsolomon can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Marvin on iPad mini 2 & iPad Air 2
As Faterson says, the epub contennts need to be the same, but, also, in many cases Marvin identifies a book by the epub file name. If either you or your friend have altered that (as I do to ease organizing my files) they can be treated as different books. Not certain that applies here, but just a caveat.
Jsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
It2Fr

Thanks, Jsolomon. Neither of us has changed the file name, so as soon as he gets back from vacation, we're going to try it.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:47 AM   #7
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
If the new standards for web browsers make it across into the ePub standards maybe we will see the desire for annotations expressed here to come to fruition. See https://hypothes.is/blog/annotation-...-web-standard/
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotations