Old 04-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
abbibi
E-Ink Explorer
abbibi began at the beginning.

Device: Hisense TOUCH, Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Mini
The Kobo Mini has been Cancelled

So sad. I love this little reader.

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...y-discontinued

Hopefully they are planning to replace it with a frontlit model.
abbibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It's hilarious how Michael can call it _officially_ discontinued when there's been no official announcement. Apparently what makes it "official" is that he has assumed it to be true without any confirmation.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This appears very logical and plausible to me.

Not unexpected, by any means.

I just bought one and I love it.

If a new one comes out that is front-lit, I'll buy that one too! I suspect one will come out, and will have a different name, with hopefully the word 'mini' in there somewhere.

Perhaps this: Aura Mini [front lit]. That would be in keeping with their line of Auras.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-30-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
I would not be surprised if they "officially" discontinue it. I assumed from the blow-out prices that we saw last spring/summer, it would have been at that point.

But I am still keeping my fingers crossed for a front-lit version of the Mini. I think it would do well, and fill a niche that still remains!
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'd like to see a front lit mini, but with smaller profit margins, a niche dedicated e-ink reader market, the proliferation of 5.0" and larger cellphones and phablets with ever larger batteries... I have my doubts. I get the whole display quality/lower power issue with e-ink for reading -I can't put up with reading for very long on my tablets, but there is a lot on the other side of the argument from carrying only one device, to already having the device as the larger phones become more common, to being able to do more with it and having a choice of several reading apps designed for several distribution channels and totally independent reading apps and so on.

I mostly have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of them introducing a lower cost improved front lit unit that would compete with their own 6" model... As I recall, and I may be wrong, the minis didn't really take off until after Kobo discounted them...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'd definitely get a 5" front lit reader if they do come out with one, but only if it's the basic Glo design with infrared and not the Aura (capacitive touch and my skin don't get along well).
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I doubt that a new 5" reader will be released. This reader was dumped on the market last year. That happens. On the other hand, Kobo was very successful with the Aura HD.

To reduce the demensions of an ereader developers should reduce the bezels of the device not (necessarily) the screen size.
I'm sure that the demensions of a 6" model with very small bezels would match or would be very close to the demensions of the discontinued 5" model.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
OTOH, you need enough bezel to hang onto while not actuating the touch input by mistake... I would sort of like to see a device that had finger ridges in the back, or a fold out adjustable finger loop of some sort. Something that folded flat and caused no grief for those who don't want it. Possibly swiveled so you can get just the right angle for any user.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Kobo Mini is very rigid reader that helps it survive my abuse of carrying it in front pocket of loose cut jeans. It is 6 3/8 inches diagonal measurement. Case would have to be bigger to accommodate 6" screen. 6" Aura is probably minimum size for 6" reader and not using IR touch probably helped with it's smaller size.

Last edited by filmo; 05-01-2014 at 04:17 PM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #10
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I doubt that a new 5" reader will be released. This reader was dumped on the market last year. That happens. On the other hand, Kobo was very successful with the Aura HD.

To reduce the demensions of an ereader developers should reduce the bezels of the device not (necessarily) the screen size.
I'm sure that the demensions of a 6" model with very small bezels would match or would be very close to the demensions of the discontinued 5" model.
I have to agree: for a long time I thought I would have jumped on a lighted 5" reader, but after getting the Aura, I find it small enough for me, while offering much more screen (well, 1" more!), which is very valuable for non fiction or anything with graphics. And with the elastic band solution,one can hold it comfortably even without a cover.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #11
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
I have to agree: for a long time I thought I would have jumped on a lighted 5" reader, but after getting the Aura, I find it small enough for me, while offering much more screen (well, 1" more!), which is very valuable for non fiction or anything with graphics. And with the elastic band solution,one can hold it comfortably even without a cover.
I disagree. I have an Aura but, if they made a lighted 5", I would buy it. I miss a smaller device.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
OTOH, you need enough bezel to hang onto while not actuating the touch input by mistake... I would sort of like to see a device that had finger ridges in the back, or a fold out adjustable finger loop of some sort. Something that folded flat and caused no grief for those who don't want it. Possibly swiveled so you can get just the right angle for any user.
I find current bezels too large even on the mini. I'd like to see a very small bezel. Would be easy for manufacturer to make/sell a case(s)/cover{s) that seamlessly extended to bezel a comfortable size for an individual.

Pretty sure they make more money on the case so it would be to their advantage.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #13
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Odd the mini is still listed on their Canadian site, however it is out of stock (list price is 49.99). Retail stores still have many in stock in either colour so if one wanted one, now is the time to get one.

I have been using mine exclusively for books borrowed from the library the only problem I have is the sleep cover has somewhat discoloured the back panel of the reader, and of course ADE (adobe digital editions) is a steaming pile of crap software that crashes regularly. As the back panel is removable I can replace it and the problems with ADE are entirely Adobe's fault.

A light would be nice as would a higher resolution screen and an expansion slot as well, I hope that Kobo makes another one mini sized that offers those features.
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #14
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I find current bezels too large even on the mini. I'd like to see a very small bezel. Would be easy for manufacturer to make/sell a case(s)/cover{s) that seamlessly extended to bezel a comfortable size for an individual.

Pretty sure they make more money on the case so it would be to their advantage.

Helen
That assumes that people would actually buy a case FROM Kobo (rather than a third party) and that those who have no interest in having a case and want a bezel wouldn't be a bigger loss than the gain from selling some cases.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
That assumes that people would actually buy a case FROM Kobo (rather than a third party) and that those who have no interest in having a case and want a bezel wouldn't be a bigger loss than the gain from selling some cases.
Of course. I was just saying what I would like to see and a possible way to customize it for those who want a non-standard bezel, even a larger one.

Probably not a market and there is likely a good reason for one of my readers having a larger bottom bezel than my 21 inch monitor.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mini