Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Janey-M; can you maybe describe to us on the forums what is happening with Desktop, what version etc and maybe we can try to help out.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #17
Janey-M
Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@Janey-M; can you maybe describe to us on the forums what is happening with Desktop, what version etc and maybe we can try to help out.

The problem started in January when I purchased a new book, but couldn't get it to download onto my desktop app, and subsequently to my e-reader.

I reported this to the helpline; their answer was to SIGN OUT of the desktop app; uninstall it and then re-install it. This I did, but it didn't help because the newly installed desktop app wouldn't let me sign in, and consequently I couldn't do anything else.

There has followed endless emails to and from the helpline since that time. They have told me various ways of making sure all Kobo files were deleted, including going via HKEY_CURRENT_USER & %localappdata% before re-installing. At their request I have sent screenshots of results of running "ping mobile.kobobooks.com & "webstore.kobobooks.com". Plus a logfile they asked for.

Nothing has helped, I still can't sign back in.

I am using a Kobo Touch on laptop using Vista Home Premium.

Sorry this is so long [it's become a long and frustrating saga]
Janey-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #18
chromedome
Enthusiast
chromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Voyage, PW2, Kobo Glo (KK, Sony PRS600)
@janey-M

I understand this doesn't help with the kobo desktop application (which is unnecessary for your Kobo reader), but have you tried downloading your books to adobe digital editions. If you sign into the Kobobooks.com website you should see your books available for download as "Adobe DRM Epub" or plain "Download Epub" for none DRM books. You can then read them in Digital Editions and TX them, if you wish, to your kobo device from there. Any books downloaded as Adobe DRM's, rather than kobo kepubs direct to your reader, won't have the kepub "enhancements" but at least you'll be able to read them.

(I'm taking it from your previous comments that you cannot read them on the kobo desktop app or on your kobo reader).

Regards,

Greg
chromedome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #19
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Still trying to clarify here: you said "I still can't sign back in". What exactly is happening? Is it giving you an error, is it not letting you enter the login data etc? As a starting point to troubleshoot, can you log-in to your account via the Kobo website? If you can't get in there then the problem is the account not the desktop.
Keep plugging away at it, there's a lot of knowledge and experience on this board so even if Kobo help didn't get anywhere for you there is still hope.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As with robko, I am curious about where it fails. Before or after putting the userid and password in? Somewhere else in the steps?

Have you tried another computer? That could prove if the problem is your computer or the account. You could also try adding another user account to your laptop and trying to do it from that account. There might still be something leftover from the first install that changing Windows accounts would avoid.

The other thing to try is to create another Kobo account and see what happens. If that works, you should be able to get Kobo to transfer the books. Or at least someone here has said that Kobo suggested this for a problem they had.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #21
Janey-M
Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Still trying to clarify here: you said "I still can't sign back in". What exactly is happening? Is it giving you an error, is it not letting you enter the login data etc? As a starting point to troubleshoot, can you log-in to your account via the Kobo website? If you can't get in there then the problem is the account not the desktop.
Keep plugging away at it, there's a lot of knowledge and experience on this board so even if Kobo help didn't get anywhere for you there is still hope.
When I say I "still can't sign back in" via the desktop app, nothing is happening - literally. Not even an error message. The first time the app didn't work properly I was told by Kobo helpline to sign out, uninstall & reinstall, which I did. But, since then nothing.

Yes, I can log into my account via the Kobo website.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #22
Janey-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As with robko, I am curious about where it fails. Before or after putting the userid and password in? Somewhere else in the steps?

Have you tried another computer? That could prove if the problem is your computer or the account. You could also try adding another user account to your laptop and trying to do it from that account. There might still be something leftover from the first install that changing Windows accounts would avoid.

The other thing to try is to create another Kobo account and see what happens. If that works, you should be able to get Kobo to transfer the books. Or at least someone here has said that Kobo suggested this for a problem they had.

My user ID and password is on my account on the Kobo website. That is OK.

I haven't got another computer, but I see what you are saying about there may be something leftover from the first install, although I have been through just about everything I can & deleted everything to do with Kobo. I could try setting a different user account on my laptop though & give that a try.

Thank you everyone, I really do appreciate the help.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #23
Janey-M

Yesterday I tried (not very hopefully!!) to have another go with the Desktop App. I deleted/uninstalled everything I could find, the downloaded the app again from the website.

However when I tried to re-install the app I got this message :

Error Opening file for writing
Can't write
C:\Program Files\Kobo\vcredist_x86.exe

I haven't a clue what this actually means, let alone what to do about it, but I think it could well be the underlying fault.

Any ideas?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #24
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janey-M View Post
Yesterday I tried (not very hopefully!!) to have another go with the Desktop App. I deleted/uninstalled everything I could find, the downloaded the app again from the website.

However when I tried to re-install the app I got this message :

Error Opening file for writing
Can't write
C:\Program Files\Kobo\vcredist_x86.exe

I haven't a clue what this actually means, let alone what to do about it, but I think it could well be the underlying fault.

Any ideas?
OK, try uninstalling, then re-install BUT DON'T put it under "program files". If I'm not mistaken newer versions of windows can cause issues with trying to save data under any "Program Files" directories depending how you have it set up.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #25
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
i would second the idea of using ADE to download books i really dont like the kobo desktop app its very glitchy and is very non responsive at times too.
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #26
Janey-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
OK, try uninstalling, then re-install BUT DON'T put it under "program files". If I'm not mistaken newer versions of windows can cause issues with trying to save data under any "Program Files" directories depending how you have it set up.
I have un-installed, but when re-installing I only get the option of "Save File" (or "Cancel") but it doesn't offer alternative of where to save, just goes to program files automatically.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #27
Janey-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
i would second the idea of using ADE to download books i really dont like the kobo desktop app its very glitchy and is very non responsive at times too.
Glitchy is about right! But what is ADE?
Old 03-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #28
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janey-M View Post
Glitchy is about right! But what is ADE?
Adobe Digital Editions
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote