Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #751
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Errm... happy new year again - to all of you!

I just came back from holidays... and the holidays were absolutely *awesome*. If you ever get the chance, go to Morocco! (but visit the mountains and the desert, not the big cities like Marrakesh).

And... just in case: there will be a new release of CM soon. Insh'allah ;-p
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:41 AM   #752
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
Welcome back ixtab. Good to hear you had an enjoyable holiday.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #753
drakebelisarius
drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Errm... happy new year again - to all of you!

I just came back from holidays... and the holidays were absolutely *awesome*. If you ever get the chance, go to Morocco! (but visit the mountains and the desert, not the big cities like Marrakesh).

And... just in case: there will be a new release of CM soon. Insh'allah ;-p
Yes, welcome back. I just got my Kindle Paperwhite (lost my old one :-/) and was distraught to find that your CM, which I'd eagerly anticipated using for the first time, wouldn't work with the PW2. And then I find that my timing was nearly perfect. So happy new year to you, as well.
drakebelisarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:23 AM   #754
hanog
Enthusiast
hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Whats new? Version history?
hanog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #755
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Version 2.5.0

Ooops... right

So, here's version 2.5.0. New features:
  • Sort upper and lower panels independently (optional)
  • "Sync" panels by swiping up/down. E.g. swipe up to display the collection that was currently shown in the lower panel in the upper one, too.
  • Supports FW 5.4.0
  • ... and a few minor fixes

Note that FW 5.4.2 is NOT supported. I will have to take a very close look at it before I can tell if it can be supported at all.

Also note that the translations will (again) need a revision. The en, de, and fr ones should be up-to-date, but all others aren't.
Advert
Old 01-18-2014, 08:08 AM   #756
drakebelisarius
drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.drakebelisarius can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Ooops... right

So, here's version 2.5.0. New features:
  • Sort upper and lower panels independently (optional)
  • "Sync" panels by swiping up/down. E.g. swipe up to display the collection that was currently shown in the lower panel in the upper one, too.
  • Supports FW 5.4.0
  • ... and a few minor fixes

Note that FW 5.4.2 is NOT supported. I will have to take a very close look at it before I can tell if it can be supported at all.

Also note that the translations will (again) need a revision. The en, de, and fr ones should be up-to-date, but all others aren't.
Ah, that's a shame. Is there any way to downgrade a Kindle running 5.4.2 to 5.4.0?
drakebelisarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #757
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Awesome, gets better every time! Thank you!

piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #758
cybtrash
cybtrash never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.cybtrash never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.cybtrash never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.cybtrash never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.cybtrash never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.cybtrash never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.cybtrash never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.cybtrash never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.cybtrash never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.cybtrash never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.cybtrash never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch and PW2
Thank you!

Sadly 5.4.2 was preinstalled on my fresh Kindle PW2 :/
cybtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #759
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yay!

I just posted the updated version of the Calibre plugin, it should now auto-detect the PW2 properly. I'm on 5.4.2, so I can't really test much beyond that, so don't hesitate to ask if something looks wonky w/ the PW2 handling .

EDIT: Minor tweak to the new FR strings (haven't yet checked that they're not too long, will do as soon as I'm on my proper setup again).

Code:
diff --git a/CollectionsManager-localization.txt b/CollectionsManager-localization.txt
index 88dc95c..2fec4fd 100755
--- a/CollectionsManager-localization.txt
+++ b/CollectionsManager-localization.txt
@@ -138,9 +138,9 @@ sort.title_alt=Trier par : Titre (façon Amazon)
 sort.author=Trier par : Auteur
 sort.recent=Trier par : Date d'accès
 sort.publication=Trier par : Date de publication
-sort.independently=Tri indépendant des tableaux
-panel.upper=Tableau haut
-panel.lower=Tableau bas
+sort.independently=Trier les tableaux séparément
+panel.upper=Tableau du haut
+panel.lower=Tableau du bas

# Italian localization by Mterry
 [it]
EDIT²: Yup, looks good .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-18-2014 at 02:08 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #760
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakebelisarius View Post
Ah, that's a shame. Is there any way to downgrade a Kindle running 5.4.2 to 5.4.0?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybtrash View Post
Thank you!

Sadly 5.4.2 was preinstalled on my fresh Kindle PW2 :/
Yes you can, see here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/README.txt

What it does is this: for a jailbroken Kindle, you can boot into the diags partition and overwrite the main partition with an image of a PW2 v5.4.0 that was taken from a jailbroken Kindle. This is naturally a lot more complicated than "put file.bin on root of drive, go to settings and click update" but you should be able to do it just fine as long as you're not the type to get freaked out by "wait, boot into what???? What is this 'boot' anyway?"

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-18-2014 at 11:03 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:22 PM   #761
jogawa
jogawa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Yes you can, see here: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/README.txt

What it does is this: for a jailbroken Kindle, you can boot into the diags partition and overwrite the main partition with an image of a PW2 v5.4.0 that was taken from a jailbroken Kindle. This is naturally a lot more complicated than "put file.bin on root of drive, go to settings and click update" but you should be able to do it just fine as long as you're not the type to get freaked out by "wait, boot into what???? What is this 'boot' anyway?"
I have just done this [several times], and can report complete success. :-)

You do have to follow ixtab's instructions in the README.txt in the Parent Directory for the full set. Just make sure you have PuTTY.

I've had to do it several times because I can't seem to find an OTA-blocking method that works. I've tried putting stuff in the hosts file, and the backdoor block. Grrr. Amazon. :-) :-(
jogawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:08 AM   #762
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogawa View Post
I have just done this [several times], and can report complete success. :-)

You do have to follow ixtab's instructions in the README.txt in the Parent Directory for the full set. Just make sure you have PuTTY.
Yes, just follow the instructions in the readme I linked to.

And the partitions are in the parent folder to the readme, obviously: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/
Quote:
I've had to do it several times because I can't seem to find an OTA-blocking method that works. I've tried putting stuff in the hosts file, and the backdoor block. Grrr. Amazon. :-) :-(
Another way that was suggested (maybe you'll have more luck with this?): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...63#post2592263

Basically, create a folder called "update.bin.tmp.partial" in the root of the Kindle Drive.
Gory details:
Spoiler:
This is the name of the file the update usually gets saved to, but you are reserving it as the name of a folder. And it won't get deleted to make room for the update (I imagine Amazon has something to do this if the download fails, assuming it got corrupted, or maybe they default to overwriting it) because the unix command for deleting directories is different from the one for files.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #763
jogawa
jogawa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Yes, just follow the instructions in the readme I linked to.

And the partitions are in the parent folder to the readme, obviously: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/

Another way that was suggested (maybe you'll have more luck with this?): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...63#post2592263

Basically, create a folder called "update.bin.tmp.partial" in the root of the Kindle Drive.
Gory details:
Spoiler:
This is the name of the file the update usually gets saved to, but you are reserving it as the name of a folder. And it won't get deleted to make room for the update (I imagine Amazon has something to do this if the download fails, assuming it got corrupted, or maybe they default to overwriting it) because the unix command for deleting directories is different from the one for files.
NICE. Thank you! I'll try that too.

AND, I may have managed to get the backdoor to work. Had to use the KUAL version though. Been all night with no update and WiFi on.

Crossing my fingers. :-)
jogawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #764
Georgie W
Connoisseur
Georgie W began at the beginning.

Device: KT4 5.13.6
How do I nest collections?

I'm very sorry that I can't seem to grasp what I need to do for this. I can make my screen show all my collections in the top half and again in the bottom, but I just can't work out what I have to press/click/highlight to choose, say, 5 collections and make them appear as entries in an overarching collection. Say I've got collections called Author A, Author B etc (each collection has a sozen or so books in it). I want those to appear in a collection (already existing) called Adventure. So that on my home screen I just see Adventure, then when I highlight that, I'll see my sub-collection headings plus any other books.

I have checked the forum, and you do state that it ought to be completely obvious, so this makes me really thick!
Georgie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #765
ixtab
(offline)

Thanks to everyone for the recent contributions (in particular eschwartz and jogawa, for discussing and clarifying the FW downgrade to 5.4.0) !

... And now, concerning the current CM status, specifically with regard to FW 5.4.2:
- I do have a "somewhat" working version (meaning: at least it doesn't crash immediately)
- that version handles part of the stuff correctly. And the other part is handled strangely, or it just plainly crashes.

So...: CM will most likely support FW 5.4.2. Probably sometime soon, but not right now. Just be patient

PS: @NiLuJe: merci pour les corrections!

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks