Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #166
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
i went to B&N tonight, and spent some time playing with their demo Glow. I'm fairly impressed with it. the light is nice, and the text is quite crisp and readable.

I've also decided that, for reasons totally unrelated to the Glow feature, that the Nook is not for me. I don't like sequestered memory and having to buy an SD card to get a decent amount of non-B&N storage (I side-load everything), and the key word in the Simple Touch is *simple* - too many limitations for me. I'll stick with my K3 and Sony 350 for now.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #167
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I've also decided that, for reasons totally unrelated to the Glow feature, that the Nook is not for me. I don't like sequestered memory and having to buy an SD card to get a decent amount of non-B&N storage (I side-load everything), and the key word in the Simple Touch is *simple* - too many limitations for me. I'll stick with my K3 and Sony 350 for now.
I also dislike the small amount of memory on the GlowNook. But, let's be honest, a microSDHC is $6.66 (ASIN: B001CQT0X4). It's annoying if you buy a ton of BN books. But if you sideload, is $6 really too much to spend for more storage than any eink Kindle has?
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2012, 02:24 AM   #168
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
I also dislike the small amount of memory on the GlowNook. But, let's be honest, a microSDHC is $6.66 (ASIN: B001CQT0X4). It's annoying if you buy a ton of BN books. But if you sideload, is $6 really too much to spend for more storage than any eink Kindle has?
Since I want all the books I buy from B&N in my Calibre library too, I use the B&N PC app to download them all and then archive them. Since I usually have my wifi turned off, than means they never get downloaded from B&N to my nook, and everything is just sideloaded to my sd card.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:36 AM   #169
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
An SD card uses up more battery (or at least it did with my ebook reader), so I personally try to avoid them.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #170
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
An SD card uses up more battery (or at least it did with my ebook reader), so I personally try to avoid them.
So it has come to this...
Does it, really?
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #171
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Yes Alex, it drains significantly more juice on some other readers (e.g. Sony). No idea about the Nook.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #172
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Yes Alex, it drains significantly more juice on some other readers (e.g. Sony). No idea about the Nook.
On the nook it should be insignificant.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #173
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Depends on what you mean by "significantly". I have an 8 GB SD-Card with a large number of books in my 650 and I spend quite a bit of time going through my collections. About every two weeks I load the 650 when the battery is still shown as half full. I can live with that rate of power consumption.

Last edited by CommonReader; 04-29-2012 at 05:53 PM.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #174
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Why on the Sony?
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #175
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
Why on the Sony?
Ain't no sunshine on Sony's street.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #176
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Quote:
Must depend on card usage and reader... my readers (505, 600 and 650) all have SD cards (16GB) with thousands of books on them and I read several hours per day... and charge around once a week to 10 days whenever one gets down to half charge... about the same as before I put cards in...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #177
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Must depend on card usage and reader...
Might it also depend on the card? I know some cards are better than others. Maybe some cards are using power less efficiently than others.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:47 AM   #178
AlexGrama
Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
Might it also depend on the card? I know some cards are better than others. Maybe some cards are using power less efficiently than others.
So it has come to this...
Old 05-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #179
toronado
Addict

Consumer Reports likes the Nook with Glowlight:
http://news.consumerreports.org/elec...eader-yet.html
Old 05-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #180
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
now if only B&N had better customer service....
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote