Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
professorbeej
professorbeej began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Sideloading Annotations and Highlights

Howdy, folks.

I recently sent my WIP to beta readers, and I have a few of them who requested it be sent as .mobi files. I figured that would be okay, especially since there would be some way to transfer their annotations to me via email.

The problem is, I can't figure out how to do it. I thought it would be the case of transferring the .mbp file to my computer (a 2010 Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard) from theirs (they read it on an app, I believe, not the actual device; however, I don't know which one), but I've found that I can't get any of their notes and highlights.

Does anyone have any idea on how to make them show up, or was all of their work for nothing since I can't access their comments?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by professorbeej; 08-16-2011 at 12:37 PM.
professorbeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
You'll have to check this yourself, but when I add a note to a sideloaded book, that note ends up in Kindle:\Documents\My Clippings.txt

Just a guess; but I think the .mbp files, when it's a side-loaded .mobi, really just keeps track of last page read. not bookmarks or highlights or comments.

But that's if they read and commented on the Kindle. You mention they read in another app; so idk where the comments might be if they used Kindle for <insert other device here>.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 04:27 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think you'll find that you will be able to read their comments if you load the book and the mpb file into MobiPocket Reader for Windows. You can't load it onto the Kindle, to the best of my knowledge. Do you have access to a Windows machine on which you could load Mobi Reader?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote