Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Nook STR Reviews

Ok the reviews should start to pour in the next few days

Cnet has released their's giving it 4 out 5 Stars (Excellent)

http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-reade...ml?tag=rvwBody

Pretty cool feature that you can switch the physical buttons (top and bottom) between forward and backwards.

can't wait for Lisa's from Mobiletechreview.

Last edited by boswd; 06-01-2011 at 02:50 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
I can't wait to read an in-depth review made by someone used to e-reader
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedale View Post
You got that right!

I could care less about fanboy reviews or reviews from those who really have little concept of what an ereader should be. I want to see a real hands on review where they put the STR through its paces rather than a review based on published specs. What I want to read about is how nicely does it play with sideloaded books. Does it do landscape reading with ePubs. How much or how little text format customization can be done. Does it actually look at CSS or does it mostly ignore it. I don't expect much text customization as Kindles, Sony Readers, and previous Nooks don't allow for much customization, but it would be nice to see an ereader that went way beyond the current trend.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-01-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedale View Post
David Carnoy is a reader and actually owns both the kindle and the nook classic. His reviews aren't the most indepth, but I think that's mostly based on length restraints.

but his opinion overall I value. but as I said the one I'm really waiting on is mobiletechreview. Lisa does a great very indepth reviews of their products and is a member here as well.

but David carnoy is one of the good guys, I wouldn't waste my time with Engadget. Engadget in summary : "Doesn't start my car, doesn't have an apple logo, , doesn't have the speed of an iPad,, doesn't have color then , Can't do anything else besides read, it's no good."
Old 06-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
http://gizmodo.com/5807381/barnes-an...eader-you-want

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2386227,00.asp

A few more positive hands-on reviews. ConsumerReports is also waiting for a press model to do a review, and said display Nooks will be arriving in stores tomorrow, with in-store sales starting Monday.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoshka View Post
http://gizmodo.com/5807381/barnes-an...eader-you-want

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2386227,00.asp

A few more positive hands-on reviews. ConsumerReports is also waiting for a press model to do a review, and said display Nooks will be arriving in stores tomorrow, with in-store sales starting Monday.
wow that PC Mag was a very positive review. Editors Choice
Old 06-02-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Macworld -- 4 out of 5 mice. The complaints are the buttons are difficult to press and the blacks seem less black than the Kindle, but they love the screen refresh.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
Macworld -- 4 out of 5 mice. The complaints are the buttons are difficult to press and the blacks seem less black than the Kindle, but they love the screen refresh.
good thing then, it has so few buttons
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
...I wouldn't waste my time with Engadget. Engadget in summary : "Doesn't start my car, doesn't have an apple logo, , doesn't have the speed of an iPad,, doesn't have color then , Can't do anything else besides read, it's no good."
...are you disparaging Applegadget?
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #10
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
...are you disparaging Applegadget?
yeah they were pretty bad at Engadget for a while with the fawning over Apple.

Engadgets review of the Nook STR actually wasn't too bad, they liked it, they still complain how slow eink refreshing is. but that's Engadget.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
Uh Oh... The article mentions the text not being as clear and crisp as the Kindle. It also says the grey bsckground is darker on the NOOK Touch. Hmmm, I don't care for the background on the Kindle. One of the reasons I enjoy reading on the NOOKcolor so much. This may be a no go after all.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Uh Oh... The article mentions the text not being as clear and crisp as the Kindle. It also says the grey bsckground is darker on the NOOK Touch. Hmmm, I don't care for the background on the Kindle. One of the reasons I enjoy reading on the NOOKcolor so much. This may be a no go after all.
The text and background issue, if it exists, might be due to B&N doing a complete refresh every 5th page rather than with every page turn. That 5th page refresh just might bite them in the backside. I think it was little more than a marketing ploy to say the STR turns pages faster than brand XYZ, much like their battery life is just a bunch of meaningless hype.

The lack of landscape mode for ePubs, the same thing that plagues the NC, is a no go for me. But I wasn't in the market for an eInk anyway.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-02-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
It's cool how we all have different no go reasons. For me, missing audio is a no go. Otherwise, it's a nice reader and I would've snagged one.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post

is our Scion gradually leaving the eink fold?

other reviews I've read had the new nook and kindle almost identicle or at least not any sort of notable margin of difference between the two.

Last edited by boswd; 06-02-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #15
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The text and background issue, if it exists, might be due to B&N doing a complete refresh every 5th page rather than with every page turn. That 5th page refresh just might bite them in the backside. I think it was little more than a marketing ploy to say the STR turns pages faster than brand XYZ, much like their battery life is just a bunch of meaningless hype.

The lack of landscape mode for ePubs, the same thing that plagues the NC, is a no go for me. But I wasn't in the market for an eInk anyway.
I don't think it's a marketing ploy, to be honest. I think we are in the early stages of seeing better page refreshing and the cache'ing of 5 or so pages is the first step. If eink continues to grow I think the flashing is will eventually be gone all together.

but seeing video demos comparing traditionally eink page turning and the way the new nook changes. it's really nice and it is noticably better. Perfect? no, I think eink tech is still a few years from perfect page turning but one of the first major steps, yeah.

Tags
str