Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 04:07 AM   #1
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Fighting Fantasy comes to Kindle

I haven't been too interested in previous Kindle games, but this, this I might be.

Basically it's a Choose Your Own Adventure sort of book combined with a very simple RPG.

Quote:
"Fighting Fantasy Series Brought To The Kindle

Pinewood Studios based software developers Worldweaver Ltd have just released the first major interactive fiction title for the Kindle e-book reader.

“The Warlock of Firetop Mountain” is the first title in the popular Fighting Fantasy gamebook series by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone. The books have been adapted to make use of the Kindle's computing abilities, handling the dice rolls, scoring and inventory. There is also an automatic mapping system that shows the reader’s current location and route they have taken through the dungeons. The authors have been closely involved in the adaptation to help keep the original atmosphere of the games on the new device.
http://www.worldweaver.com/fightingfantasy.aspx
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:33 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Good heavens! I remember buying the paper version of this book - it must have been in the mid 1970s! Great to see them come to the Kindle. But what a pity that, like all apps, it's US only.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 05:46 AM   #3
Ticallion
Connoisseur
Ticallion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Bought this earlier and played for a while, really well done so far. Great to finally have any type of an RPG on Kindle. Though I wish there wasn't so much randomness to the dice rolling feature, would be nice to have more control but it adds to the challenge.

One real nitpick I'll give is that the map takes a long time to load that you bring up from the menu, since it has to sketch up your current progress. Kindle just isn't powerful enough to process it at a decent speed.
Ticallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:19 AM   #4
reech
Connoisseur
reech doesn't litterreech doesn't litter

Device: Sony eReader PRS-600
ARRRGH. US only. *sulk* Steve Jackson would be rolling in his grave, if he was dead. Which he isn't. So he should be rolling on the dice in the game. Which he isn't. Because it's only in the US.

Sort it out
reech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:27 AM   #5
KRorschachZ
Update
KRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litter

Device: kindle DX graphite, we need update/firmware with optios PDF Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
I haven't been too interested in previous Kindle games, but this, this I might be.

Basically it's a Choose Your Own Adventure sort of book combined with a very simple RPG.

http://www.worldweaver.com/fightingfantasy.aspx

uhmmm. I remember a little book where every few pages "were" asked what I wanted to take and depending on that, jump to a page or a different, and so several times, sometimes the story ends so fast, dead or killed and sometimes it was more long.

Somewhere else, from time to time peleabas dragons and magical beings with battles of dice, luck or death and had more or less advantage if you had accumulated weapons and amulets on the road.

Implement it in the kindle would be very easy since you can choose the path and jump to areas of the book directly from the links page.

It was very funny, because the book had areas that were "wild ", there were spending several possible ways, I mean, he had chapters that were worth standard for multiple routes ...

maybe you refer to that.

(excuse format text, please) ;-)
KRorschachZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
Ticallion
Connoisseur

It's more of a dungeon crawling RPG than an 'instant-death' choose your own adventure story, considering you have stats and even an inventory. Not sure how long it is but I'm already around 2 hours in and still going, much more content than the overpriced Dusk World and couple others released so far.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Warlock of Firetop Mountain and the other books of the series had me hooked when I was a teenager. I loved them all and played them to death. In fact, I often think this was partly what set me up to love the fantasy genre so much as an adult.

Anyway, after that fond walk down memory lane hehe.

I'm repeating myself here after posting effectively the same things in the chess on the kindle thread a few minutes ago... wonderful to see this on the Kindle blah blah.... However, yet again US only and not for us in the UK. Why why why???
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I know it isn't quite the same but for UK owners who are disappointed, I really recommend checking out the free downloads at:

http://www.ffproject.com/download.htm

These are books based on the fighting fantasy series and I have to tell you that one in particular called "Outsider" is excellent.

Most are available as word docs and can be emailed to your kindle or converted.

Do at least give it a try
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

TheKindleWorm
Old 02-14-2011, 02:52 AM   #10
Ticallion
Connoisseur

It's a shame this game isn't garnering more attention on Amazon, it's not even featured on the main page for Kindle Active Content (making it more difficult to find) while nonsense like Tic Tac Toe is.

Why doesn't Amazon have a proper Active Content area? It doesn't even list all the games available, unless I'm missing something.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:58 AM   #11
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Yeah, that is a little puzzling. If I hadn't seen the press release on a gaming news wire I would have missed out.

Anyway, I was going to give my credit card a break and wait until I could pick up an amazon card. But my will was weak.

But it was worth it, really outstanding. Uses the original artwork I guess and it just looks wonderful on the Kindle screen.

Last edited by JeremyR; 02-14-2011 at 03:02 AM.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #12
leaston
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
But it was worth it, really outstanding. Uses the original artwork I guess and it just looks wonderful on the Kindle screen.
Will you stop with the torture?!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #13
DigiRonin
DigiRonin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
@Ticallion - Amazon actually does have a page now for the Active Content but it doesn't list everything. I wanted to post the direct link but it was huge. At the Kindle Store look under "Special Features" to the left and halfway down you'll see "Kindle Games & Active Content".
DigiRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #14
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Here's the direct link: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain ($3.99)
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
Ticallion
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiRonin View Post
@Ticallion - Amazon actually does have a page now for the Active Content but it doesn't list everything. I wanted to post the direct link but it was huge. At the Kindle Store look under "Special Features" to the left and halfway down you'll see "Kindle Games & Active Content".
I already know, that's basically what I had said. I asked why they don't have a proper Active Content area that lists all the games.