Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 01-14-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
Schwarzenegger
Enthusiast
Schwarzenegger began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Apple Air
Delete books in Marvin

I have my ebooks organised in Calibre on my computer. I copy my ebooks to Dropbox. I always sync Dropbox with Calibre. Marvin on my ipad connects with Dropbox.
How this whole thing works is still a mystery to me. I got Marvin to read Dropbox by pushing dozens of buttons dozens of times and suddenly Hey presto there were my ebooks, tags and all. (I exaggerate, but not much).
Changing the tag of a book in Dropbox does not seem to change the tag on the Marvin copy.
There are 2 occasions where I want to delete an ebook from Marvin:
1 I don't like the book I am reading
2 I have changed the tag of a book in Calibre. In this case I want to simply replace the the book existing in Marvin with the newly tagged book on Dropbox.

How do I delete an ebook from Marvin?

Cheers,
Schwarzenegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:01 AM   #2
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Long press the title, and then select the delete option.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:45 AM   #3
Schwarzenegger
Enthusiast

Yes, this worked. Thank you.

Cheers,
Old 01-17-2017, 01:51 AM   #4
Schwarzenegger
Enthusiast

Oops !!

I have several book in Calibre, perfectly readable in Calibre as well as in FBReader on my Samsung Galaxy, but after I put them in Marvin on my ipad via Dropbox and try to open them I get the message:" Oops This book couldn't be opened because it is damaged or encrypted." Any ideas?
Cheers,
Old 01-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #5
JKenP
Connoisseur
JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JKenP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Kobo iPhone Kindle 8 HD
You might want to email Kris about the problem. You could provide him with the problem book to debug the problem.

He doesn't seem to be responding here often.
JKenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Sometimes the Font obfuscation process causes issues????

Try opening that epub with Sigil.... If it opens with Sigil it should open with Marvin.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:35 AM   #7
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
I have several book in Calibre, perfectly readable in Calibre as well as in FBReader on my Samsung Galaxy, but after I put them in Marvin on my ipad via Dropbox and try to open them I get the message:" Oops This book couldn't be opened because it is damaged or encrypted." Any ideas?
Cheers,
From what you've described, I doubt whether the book is actually damaged or encrypted. You might want to try opening the same book in MapleRead and Hyphen Reader. The developers of these two iOS apps have active presence in the Apple Devices forum. Both apps have free versions, and run on both iPad and iPhone. (Any iPhone app can run on an iPad too.)

I have thousands of ebooks, and have yet to find one that can be opened by Calibre but not by MapleRead. Therefore, I am curious enough to test it for you, if you post the book file here or send to me privately (via mobileread).
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:02 PM   #8
Schwarzenegger
Enthusiast

Oops

Reply to cedhax
I have installed MapleRead.
I have about 100 books in Calibre but when I try to copy these into MapleRead I am told that I have to upgrade MR or copy each epub book separately. Individual copying is a bit of a PITA because epub, jpg and opf files are together in one folder for each book in Dropbox which requires a bit of fishing for each epub file. I have moved a few books and found that 5 are open and the rest is blocked. The books that were oopsed in Marvin are OK in MR. Do I have to buy the upgrade and will blocked books stay blocked. If yes then how can I unblock them?
Cheers,

Last edited by Schwarzenegger; 01-21-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:07 PM   #9
Schwarzenegger
Enthusiast

Reply to cedhax
I have installed MapleRead.
I have about 100 books in Calibre but when I try to copy these into MapleRead I am told that I have to upgrade MR or copy each epub book separately. Individual copying is a bit of a PITA because epub, jpg and opf files are together in one folder for each book in Dropbox which requires a bit of fishing for each epub file. I have moved a few books and found that 5 are open and the rest is blocked. The books that were oopsed in Marvin are OK in MR. Do I have to buy the upgrade and will blocked books stay blocked? If yes then how can I unblock them?
Cheers,
Old 01-22-2017, 01:31 AM   #10
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Great to hear that MapleRead can open your book that can't be opened in Marvin!

Since I purchased both MapleRead SE (for iPad) and MapleRead CX (for iPhone) with Pro Upgrade many months ago, I don't remember the exact limit imposed on the free version CX. My advice is to go ahead to buy the upgrade, and everything should work.

Read the FAQ on the developer's website regarding how to import from calibre or other sources.

Please post further questions regarding the usage of MapleRead in the MapleRead Forum.

Last edited by cedhax; 01-22-2017 at 01:35 AM.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:55 PM   #11
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
This is a Marvin bug, because I get the same error messages about "damaged or encrypted" files when trying to load books from Google Drive. It used to work just fine in Marvin, but got broken at some point in 2016. But if you email the exact same book to yourself from that Dropbox or Google Drive location, Marvin will open it just fine, no problem. So, the bug is in Marvin's interaction with Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. – it got broken at some point, in that now Marvin calls perfectly legitimate book files "damaged or encrypted" if you're trying to load them from those cloud locations...
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:20 PM   #12
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zenpad S 8, iPad mini 2
Is there any way to delete multiple books at a time in Marvin, or do I have to do them all one at a time.
diremommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:04 AM   #13
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
If you're using Marvin-3:

On main screen under "Collections and Lists" select "All your books".

Click on menu icon in upper right corner.

Under "Multi-Select" choose "Select multiple books".

You are now in multi-select mode as indicated by red circle/checkmark on top of screen.

Tap the books you want to delete. The counter near the red circle will increment up/down as appropriate.

When all selections have been made, tap red circle again.

Select "Actions" and proceed with CAUTION because the action will be applied to ALL the books you have selected. You can perform several actions: add to reading list, mark as read, rate books, delete, etc.

Multi-select is a very handy and powerful tool! Advisable to wear safety glasses and steel-toe shoes!
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #14
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zenpad S 8, iPad mini 2
Thank you!
diremommy is offline   Reply With Quote