Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen > Gen3 Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #196
terrangirl
terrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Cybook Orizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm curious why this is so important to you. Are you looking to get the source code and modify or fork it? Or, are you just complaining on principle?

(see my sig ftw)

BOb
I am complaining on principle only
terrangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #197
terrangirl
terrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of itterrangirl has read War And Peace ... all of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
The GPL didn't say you have to give the source code to everyone, but to people that use the GPLed software.
I do use the their GPLed software as I do own an Cybook Orizon, and I sign in to the support page where they post the source code for their devices. It's just that the Orizon source code is not posted.
Personally I couldn't do anything with it as I am not a devloper, but I am an open source fun, and been using it for more than 10 years, and this practice by Bookeen makes me sceptical
Old 10-29-2011, 04:08 AM   #198
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrangirl View Post
I do use the their GPLed software as I do own an Cybook Orizon, and I sign in to the support page where they post the source code for their devices. It's just that the Orizon source code is not posted.
Personally I couldn't do anything with it as I am not a devloper, but I am an open source fun, and been using it for more than 10 years, and this practice by Bookeen makes me sceptical
As has been said, though, the GPL doesn't require that it be publicly posted, simply that it be made available to people who request it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:54 AM   #199
DevonSnow
DevonSnow began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As has been said, though, the GPL doesn't require that it be publicly posted, simply that it be made available to people who request it.
...and that received the binary from the distributing party.
And terrangirl applies perfectly.

It may not be directly useful to her, but it might well be for others if she then posts it somewhere on the Internet.

And that's a good thing. (tm)
DevonSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:32 AM   #200
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonSnow View Post
And terrangirl applies perfectly.
But she has to request the code. Bookeen are not obliged to publish the source code in a webpage, they are only obliged to give it to those who request it (and have a right to it). She wrote in their facebook and they told her to ask their support team. When she asks for the source code and they refuse to give it (or just ignore her), then we may say they are violating the GPL. Until then, it's only inconvenience (and maybe inconsistency with the written documentation).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #201
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What was the outcome of this? Did Bookeen supply the source code when requested?
Old 08-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #202
terrangirl

Smile Finally the source code for the Cybook Orizon is published!!!

Finally the source code for the Cybook Orizon is published!!!
I had given up on waiting any answer from Bookeen, and after so many months of waiting, I hadn't even bothered to check their site.
Today I decided to check if there was any new firmware, and saw that they silently have published the source code of the Orizon to the site.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #203
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What are you going to do with it?
Old 08-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #204
terrangirl

As I have already answered that, earlier in this thread, I am not a developer but I was interested on the availability of the source code on principal only