Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
Xexist
Xexist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Xexist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Xexist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Before I buy..

I apologise in advance, I am new here and I know this question has been asked about various devices a million times but I suppose there is no harm in making it a million and one.

I am about to order 2 Kobo Touch, a Lilac for my wife and a Black or Silver for myself (any reason to go with one over the other?)

I have a collection of books in .mobi format, I assume the device should not have any trouble with them? Is one particular format better to use over another?

I saw someone mention somewhere that large collections were hard to navigate through? So if I copy over a few dozen books, how exactly do I load the book I wish to read, do i have to navigate through a folder structure or will it just display a list of titles alphabetically?

You all have about 2 hours to convince me I am making a bad decision, otherwise I think this will be the device for me lol.
Xexist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xexist View Post
I have a collection of books in .mobi format, I assume the device should not have any trouble with them? Is one particular format better to use over another?
Are the Mobi books DRM'd? If so they won't work on the Kobo (unless the DRM is removed of course).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
mobi support in KT in my opinion limited at the best. I think loading time improved with 1.9.6 but this time around I could not change the font size. It is a great epub reader. For mobi not so much.

Currently there is no folder structure. You see everything at once except you can mark some books as favorite(shortlist), they will be a separate category. Books can be sorted by title, Author or Recent Reads.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Also you can type in the title in the search window to find a specific book.

It might be best to convert the mobi files to epub.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Xexist
Xexist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Xexist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Xexist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
mobi support in KT in my opinion limited at the best. I think loading time improved with 1.9.6 but this time around I could not change the font size. It is a great epub reader. For mobi not so much.

Currently there is no folder structure. You see everything at once except you can mark some books as favorite(shortlist), they will be a separate category. Books can be sorted by title, Author or Recent Reads.
Does it just not display .mobi great, or is it more an issue of compatibility with fonts etc as you suggested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
Also you can type in the title in the search window to find a specific book.

It might be best to convert the mobi files to epub.
Lame! but good to know thanks I had originally looked at a Kindle, but I am in Canada and Kobo seemed like it might be a better option for me. At least so far.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Does it just not display .mobi great, or is it more an issue of compatibility with fonts etc as you suggested?
There are initial loading time problems. A 2000 page book can take a few minutes to load. Once loaded the page turns are as fast as epub but there are random formatting problems and oddities with mobi books.

I have kindle 3 and KT so I can see the difference, loading the same drm free book.

However being Canadian, I am supporting Kobo regardless.

To me it is a keeper.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
Xexist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
There are initial loading time problems. A 2000 page book can take a few minutes to load. Once loaded the page turns are as fast as epub but there are random formatting problems and oddities with mobi books.

I have kindle 3 and KT so I can see the difference, loading the same drm free book.

However being Canadian, I am supporting Kobo regardless.

To me it is a keeper.
Well. Welcome me to the club then. Im going to order my two now.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I have both Kindles and Kobos. The Kindle 3 is a very nice device, with great integration with Amazon's bookstore. Of course, it is primarily for .mobi files.

Particularly with the release of the Kobo Touch, our Canadian alternative is a finally a true alternative. Of course, it is primarily for kepub and .epub files. A really nice side benefit is the ability to borrow ADE DRM library books and play them back on the KT.

All else being equal, I am quite happy to keep my Kindle 3 for mobi and Kobo Touch for kepub/epub. The savings over buying paperbacks of the same titles easily covers the cost of the devices in a reasonably short period of time.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:54 PM   #9
Xexist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
All else being equal, I am quite happy to keep my Kindle 3 for mobi and Kobo Touch for kepub/epub. The savings over buying paperbacks of the same titles easily covers the cost of the devices in a reasonably short period of time.
Whats the difference though? Aside from which reader can read which files, is one inherently better? Is one easier to find? Im awfully close to pull the trigger here, in fact they are in my cart.

If I take a mobi and convert to epub does it degrade the quality somehow?
Old 07-16-2011, 11:58 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
No, not at all in my experience. I convert back and forth all the time.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #11
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Whats the difference though? Aside from which reader can read which files, is one inherently better? Is one easier to find? Im awfully close to pull the trigger here, in fact they are in my cart.

Well, do you want access to library books? Of the two, only Kobo Touch does that; Kindle doesn't.

Kobo Touch offers very fine-grained control over fonts, line-spacing and margins; Kindle 3, by comparison, offers crude steps and just two fonts. Depending on the source book, it can make a huge difference in the reading experience.

Both have excellent "in the cloud" support for the libraries you purchase from their bookstores; both have strong support on multiple devices (Blackberry, iPhone/iPad, Android phones and tablets, PCs and Macs).

You can buy Kindle 3 in Canada at The Source for a small premium over buying them through Amazon (but then you lose Amazon's easy no questions asked warranty support); Kobo Touch is in stock at your local Chapters/Indigo and many Best Buy / Future Shop locations.

And if you want epub and multiformat support on the device, Kobo Touch is the way to go. It even nicely supports .rtf files.

OTOH, if you intend to read a collection of non-DRM books, either device will play back its native format well after you've made the optimal conversion (.mobi for Kindle, .epub for Kobo Touch).
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:17 AM   #12
Xexist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Well, do you want access to library books? Of the two, only Kobo Touch does that; Kindle doesn't.

Kobo Touch offers very fine-grained control over fonts, line-spacing and margins; Kindle 3, by comparison, offers crude steps and just two fonts. Depending on the source book, it can make a huge difference in the reading experience.

Both have excellent "in the cloud" support for the libraries you purchase from their bookstores; both have strong support on multiple devices (Blackberry, iPhone/iPad, Android phones and tablets, PCs and Macs).

You can buy Kindle 3 in Canada at The Source for a small premium over buying them through Amazon (but then you lose Amazon's easy no questions asked warranty support); Kobo Touch is in stock at your local Chapters/Indigo and many Best Buy / Future Shop locations.

And if you want epub and multiformat support on the device, Kobo Touch is the way to go. It even nicely supports .rtf files.

OTOH, if you intend to read a collection of non-DRM books, either device will play back its native format well after you've made the optimal conversion (.mobi for Kindle, .epub for Kobo Touch).
Lol I feel silly now but what I said and what I meant was actually two different things. I *meant*

"Whats the difference in formats though? Aside from which reader can read which files, is one format inherently better?"

*EDIT*
I would still like an answer to that question, but for the record, I have officially ordered now The missus and I should have a lot of reading time ahead
Old 07-17-2011, 12:18 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Oh and we should also add in that for managing eBooks of most types, check out Calibre.

Support Forum --> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166

Home Page --> http://calibre-ebook.com/
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Lol I feel silly now but what I said and what I meant was actually two different things. I *meant*

"Whats the difference in formats though? Aside from which reader can read which files, is one format inherently better?"

*EDIT*
I would still like an answer to that question, but for the record, I have officially ordered now The missus and I should have a lot of reading time ahead
The large difference is that of standards.

ePub IS an open format defined by the Open eBook Forum of the International Digital Publishing Forum

AZW - The Amazon proprietary format. This is very close to the MOBI format sometimes with and sometimes without DRM. The DRM is unique to the Amazon Kindle.

MOBI - MobiPocket format, usable with MobiPocket's own reading software on almost any PDA and Smartphones. Mobipocket's Windows PC software can convert .chm, .doc, .html, .ocf, .pdf, .rtf, and .txt files to this format

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_formats has more info.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:33 AM   #15
know-one
Connoisseur
know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kOBO
Well, I read that Kobo handles these files and I better leave this to the experts so, I'll give some love to your other question - LOL...

I have a black Kobo and it is "rubbery" but apparently the other colors are made of rigid plastic. So, when I bought it, I didn't know but, I was doing myself a favor. I think that "rubbery" plastic will "cushion" a little impacts. I never got to hold any samples so, I can't really talk so much... Just my 2 cents.
know-one is offline   Reply With Quote