Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-18-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
vicious_sin
vicious_sin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Restore files from kindle

Hello everyone,

I'm writing because I recently bought a Kindle (2019 edition) and I linked it to my amazon account and then, other than purchasing books from amazon, I filled it up with pdf files I needed.
Then, some days ago, I lent it to my brother and told him He could link it to his amazon account if he wanted to purchase other books. What I didn't know is that, by doing so, I lost all my pdf files and even by linking the kindle back to my account, only the books I purchased from amazon were restored, not the pdf files.

What I would like to ask you is if there is a way to restore thise files, because I quite need them.

Thank you all for your help, I hope I can solve this.
vicious_sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:11 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
if he reset it, then they are gone- there would have been a warning saying if you do this you lose all your data...

your only chance is to connect it to a PC with USB and explore what is on the kindle drive - look in all possible folders
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You may be able to track down some of them with filesystem forensics tools, but the more time has passed/writes have been done since the original delete, the harder it'll be to restore anything.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:33 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i have not tested this, but I thought that sideloaded books survive a de-register -> re-register cycle { but do not survive a full reset]
different amazon devices ( kindles, tablets, fire TV) do not all behave the same when it comes to preserving of sideloaded books, apps....
Old 04-18-2020, 12:22 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
i have not tested this, but I thought that sideloaded books survive a de-register -> re-register cycle { but do not survive a full reset]
different amazon devices ( kindles, tablets, fire TV) do not all behave the same when it comes to preserving of sideloaded books, apps....
On most computer file systems, deleting files only removes their directory entries, the data is left intact, even much of the directory info is left intact. There are tools that can make good guesses at where "erased" files begin and end and make up file names.

That is also why "secure erase" tools exist to overwrite file data.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2020, 12:29 PM   #6
stumped
Wizard

Sure, you can try to undelete...
But I have seen all sorts of Amazon devices listed on eBay with various things pre installed. I assume those installs don't vanish when the buyer adds their Amazon account?
Old 04-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It seems fairly obvious to me that a logout would do a factory reset.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:52 PM   #8
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It seems fairly obvious to me that a logout would do a factory reset.
I dont think so, but I have not tested. I know that with kobo devices, logout, login is a recommended fix for various ills, and does not delete any books

Logout should be more like logout on a pc,. Not at all like reset. kindles may all single user account still, but fire tablets can have multiple profiles and you can switch with no data loss.

It used to be that buying Amazon fire TV with " fully loaded" Kodi installed was big business on ebay. They would sell for 2 or 3 times the price of a new device from amazon buyers could register devices to their Amazon accounts and still also have all the movies, TV, sports via the dodgy Kodi add ons.eBay eventually clamped down though I could buy one still if I really tried
Old 04-18-2020, 03:54 PM   #9
vicious_sin

Thank you all for your replies.

I will try to do as you suggested and I'll let you know if I can recover something.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:27 PM   #10
vicious_sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
if he reset it, then they are gone- there would have been a warning saying if you do this you lose all your data...
Unfortunately There was no warning at all, but it would have been helpful.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:36 PM   #11
vicious_sin

Ok, using a recovery tool, I have been able to find some of the files. I am still recovering right now, so I don't know if it's all of them, but I think that if I have found some, I will be able to find it all.

Thank you guys for your help!

Tags
kindle, pdf